BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

09-02-2018, 12:45 AM   #1
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 XDrive, 2023 IX M60

Looking to buy M6 Gran Coupe

Hi everyone,

Im looking to buy a Facelift M6 Gran Coupe here in Australia. Are there any issues in the car that I need to look out for in the pre-purchase inspection?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 01:42 AM   #2
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 G30 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
Good choice, you will be very happy with an M6 GC - where in Australia are you?

No issues with the car - except that it’s pretty expensive to drive/maintain. Particularly insurance seems to be something where us premium car owners really pay a premium... And if you do plenty of city commute, be prepared not to see much under 20 l/100 km consumption... But hey, you need to feed those 575/600 ponies :-)

There are number of posts in this forum that cover any issues, many people seem to advocate for extended warranties, but if you buy a low km vehicle and don’t put extensive number of kms on it, I’m not sure it’s worth it... I had an ‘14 F13 that run out of warranty, did my research, including reading the fine print, and decided against it - at the cost they were available... Depending what you buy (MY, mileage), do your own research, though. Just make sure you buy something that has a good service history, including oil change at 1200 km.

Not much supply of Gran Coupes in Australia at the moment, only one LCI vehicle currently listed in carsales.com.au (incorrectly listed as F13), but some dealers may have vehicles that are not listed - BMW Brisbane I think has a Java Green one (‘16), if you can deal with the colour, that is...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 06:16 AM   #3
Kev.k
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: VW Amarok Highline

I’ve noticed more and more Australians buying cars in the uk.

Are European cars taxed at a crazy rate when new?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 11:08 PM   #4
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 XDrive, 2023 IX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneFinn View Post
Good choice, you will be very happy with an M6 GC - where in Australia are you?

No issues with the car - except that it’s pretty expensive to drive/maintain. Particularly insurance seems to be something where us premium car owners really pay a premium... And if you do plenty of city commute, be prepared not to see much under 20 l/100 km consumption... But hey, you need to feed those 575/600 ponies :-)

There are number of posts in this forum that cover any issues, many people seem to advocate for extended warranties, but if you buy a low km vehicle and don’t put extensive number of kms on it, I’m not sure it’s worth it... I had an ‘14 F13 that run out of warranty, did my research, including reading the fine print, and decided against it - at the cost they were available... Depending what you buy (MY, mileage), do your own research, though. Just make sure you buy something that has a good service history, including oil change at 1200 km.

Not much supply of Gran Coupes in Australia at the moment, only one LCI vehicle currently listed in carsales.com.au (incorrectly listed as F13), but some dealers may have vehicles that are not listed - BMW Brisbane I think has a Java Green one (‘16), if you can deal with the colour, that is...
Thanks for the comprehensive explanation!

I am from Sydney, Australia. I will be doing plenty of city commuting in it however in the notoriously bad traffic here

I am particularly worried about issues that may come up in the M6 because a mate's 2015 M6 gran coupe has only done 38k kms and has already had a few warranty issues pop up. Has had its first oil change at 2000 kms and annual oil changes there after roughly every 10k kms and serviced always on time at a BMW dealer. First warranty issue was replacing the drive unit for the front window regulators when one of the connections failed, second was the antenna being replaced when the car's radio was not working, third was the turbo coolant lines being replaced with new heatshields when one of the lines started leaking late last year, and the last repair was the clutch packs being replaced due to start-off judder when you press the throttle from a standstill and replacing the clutch packs fixed the issue entirely. His car has never been tuned and always driven very sensibly as he is quite elderly and just likes comfort and luxury over anything else. Therefore with those warranty repairs, I am quite worried about issues and problems that may arise in the next few years of ownership.

Last edited by SE7EN335; 09-02-2018 at 11:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 05:57 PM   #5
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

I'm not aware of any endemic issues with the S63B44T0 motors. Coolant and oil leaks will be a common issue for all turbo charged cars. I feel like all the other one-off items are just unique issues with those cars.

Remember, there's nothing that unique about the M6. The electronics are common across all BMWs of the generation, the S63 is derived from the original E70 X5M motors (itself a high performance version of the 50i N63 motors). And the 6 series shares lots of common components with the 5-series.

I would say head over to the f10post part of the is forum and gauge ownership issues with the F10 M5.