BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      08-13-2018, 08:51 AM   #1
mberbic
IG: @M6erbic
United_States
Rep
Drives: F12 M6

Exclamation Drivetrain Malfunction

So i was driving my F12 this morning since it was a beautiful day and was on the highway. After the engine had warmed up I decided to do a quick pull from 60-(a little more than 60?) and after I was done, I got the Drivetrain Malfunction warning. Power was cut on the car so I pulled over at a gas station, turned it off and then back on.

I got it going once again and again got the Drivetrain Malfunction warning I couldn't tell if it threw a code immediately because my CEL is already on due to catless downpipes(only mod on the car). When I got to work, I plugged up my OBD2 reader and the only code the car was throwing was for the Catless downpipes.

I'm a little confused because there was no Code whatsoever and the Drivetrtain Malfunction warning goes away after a bit but performance is still cut to the car. Anyone have any experience with this?

The car has just under 24k miles now
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 02:13 PM   #2
danbk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 SMB M6 Convertible

I feel your pain. Just had same problem with a brand new motor swap recently. Try changing out your coils and plugs, if you can do it yourself it is relatively cheap. If that doesn't work, you might wanna take it to the dealer to check your fuel injectors, there is an extended 100k/10 year warranty on them for your car.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 03:24 PM   #3
BB6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 G80

Welcome to the rabbit hole my friend. There are several threads on hear about trouble shooting DTM. Look around and read, its worth the time I promise you. Plugs, coils, Fuel injectors has usually been the sequenced I've followed. If you are computer literate at all it may be good to invest in ISTAD and an Enet cable. Very easy to trouble shoot for fairly cheap. Good luck man.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 08:39 PM   #4
schnell1982
Captain
Rep
Drives: FAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by mberbic View Post
So i was driving my F12 this morning since it was a beautiful day and was on the highway. After the engine had warmed up I decided to do a quick pull from 60-(a little more than 60?) and after I was done, I got the Drivetrain Malfunction warning. Power was cut on the car so I pulled over at a gas station, turned it off and then back on.

I got it going once again and again got the Drivetrain Malfunction warning I couldn't tell if it threw a code immediately because my CEL is already on due to catless downpipes(only mod on the car). When I got to work, I plugged up my OBD2 reader and the only code the car was throwing was for the Catless downpipes.

I'm a little confused because there was no Code whatsoever and the Drivetrtain Malfunction warning goes away after a bit but performance is still cut to the car. Anyone have any experience with this?

The car has just under 24k miles now

Next time connect with your scanner before cycling the ignition off.
Sometimes the fault code is not being stored.
The ECU needs to see the fault occur X amount of times for the ECU to record it.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 05:13 PM   #5
KauvSTi
Rep
Drives: M6, M8 Comp, S63, 720S, F8

Most likely coils and plugs, if that doesn't work than it's your injectors. If you're running the car with no tune the car is going to naturally run richer.

DME Stage III, Catless Downpipes, SSP Basket & Clutches, 3.5" Custom Intakes & Eisenmann Race Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 07:00 PM   #6
mberbic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KauvSTi View Post
Most likely coils and plugs, if that doesn't work than it's your injectors. If you're running the car with no tune the car is going to naturally run richer.
I've seen your car around town before and oh my is that thing amazing... I have no tune atm but plan on going to see ted soon for a DME tune.

Coils and plugs have already been ordered from ECS, and should be in next week
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 08:39 PM   #7
mberbic
United_States
Rep

New plugs and coils installed and car runs like a dream.
Appreciate 2
      03-23-2019, 10:34 AM   #8
gab24m3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 ///M6 Comp Pack. AW⚪&

Did this fix your problem?
| RPI Air Scoops |
2012 RUBICON 🌐|||||||🌐on 4d's
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 05:32 PM   #9
mberbic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gab24m3 View Post
Did this fix your problem?
IT DID...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 12:45 PM   #10
nissan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP

I keep having this issue as well, but I have a JB4 with catless DPs. Coils were replaced 15k mi ago, do they have that short a lifespan?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 03:14 AM   #11
His4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan View Post
I keep having this issue as well, but I have a JB4 with catless DPs. Coils were replaced 15k mi ago, do they have that short a lifespan?
Did you gape the spark plugs to 0.020" ?
Appreciate 0