BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

11-07-2018, 03:11 PM   #1
what_the_deuce
Rep
Drives: 2013 650i GC

Front Parking Sensor dropped inside the bumper

Guys,

I just noticed the other day that the front parking sensor (on the corner) seemed loose.

As I went to have a feel, it dropped inside the bumper... doh! As you can imagine, it now beeps whenever I turn on the cameras.

Is there a panel/grill I can remove to push it back in to place? The dealer says the whole bumper has to come off, and will cost upwards of $500!!

I have a 2013 650i GC with M-sport package (I assume the front bumper is slightly different due to the m-sport package).

Any help is greatly appreciate.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 10:13 PM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

The parking sensors snap into a little round holder. The holder is held on the bumper with peel and stick adhesive. So you may have a sensor that got pushed out of the holder, a holder that broke, or adhesive that has peeled off. Removing the bumper cover is really the only way unless you get lucky and that particular one is accessible by removing other things. $500 is a lot to pull a bumper cover. I'd personally do it myself, but it does not sound like you are into that sort of thing.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 10:56 PM   #3
DerBosewicht
Problem Solver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe

By the book, and to avoid damaging anything else is why BMW would have to remove bumper. I would park car on a sidewalk or raised curve and hang front off so you can look under maybe by removing some of the under panels you might be able to access it. Jack stands and raising front of car definitely work if you have them available but that’s the quickest and cheapest way you can at least try and resolve yourself first.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 02:39 PM   #4
what_the_deuce
Rep

Opie55... you are definitely correct that I'm not in to that sort of thing

Yet, I baulked at the price quote to just push the sensor back in to place.

There is a small grill on the front-side under the fog light... I wonder if that can be prised off using some tool because the sensor should be easily accessible from there. But I suspect it cannot be done from the outside of the bumper!!

I did try to access that location from the wheel arch but there is a small radiator of some sort blocking access.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 02:45 PM   #5
DerBosewicht
Problem Solver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by what_the_deuce View Post
Opie55... you are definitely correct that I'm not in to that sort of thing

Yet, I baulked at the price quote to just push the sensor back in to place.

There is a small grill on the front-side under the fog light... I wonder if that can be prised off using some tool because the sensor should be easily accessible from there. But I suspect it cannot be done from the outside of the bumper!!

I did try to access that location from the wheel arch but there is a small radiator of some sort blocking access.
You can remove that grill just by pushing it in. I did that when one of my fogs was acting up. It’s only held in my clips, you have to twist and turn it a bit but it can be removed.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 02:48 PM   #6
what_the_deuce
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerBosewicht View Post
You can remove that grill just by pushing it in. I did that when one of my fogs was acting up. It’s only held in my clips, you have to twist and turn it a bit but it can be removed.
Awesome... I'll try that later. Just so I understand this correctly... just twist & turn... and push that grill inwards will make it come off? No tools required?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 02:54 PM   #7
DerBosewicht
Problem Solver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by what_the_deuce View Post
Awesome... I'll try that later. Just so I understand this correctly... just twist & turn... and push that grill inwards will make it come off? No tools required?
Nah you don’t need any tools...Start by inspecting and pushing in on the outward most side( closest toward wheel) and you will feel how it moves. Keep gently pushing in around sides and you will begin to loosen each clip. Push in though don’t pull out. Once grill falls in you have to twist and turn to maneuver it out. Reinstall reverse directions. I made it sound easy. But it’s a bit of a PITA. It will save you 500 though. I was able to remove it and able mess with my fog light.
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2018, 02:19 PM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Have you done a search on the online TIS website to see if you can find instructions?

If not, I would give it a try...just type in the last 7 digits of your VIN, the type a key word into the search box field that appears...then scroll through the results to see if there are instructions for removal. You may even find instructions on how to remove the bumper and find it's within your comfort range.

Here's a direct link to the TIS: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

EDIT: found this typing "front bumper grill" into the search box: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...umper/HPi8yHwP

Found all of these links typing "remove ultrasonic sensor" into the search box: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...rasonic+sensor

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 11-09-2018 at 02:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2018, 04:43 PM   #9
what_the_deuce
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Have you done a search on the online TIS website to see if you can find instructions?

If not, I would give it a try...just type in the last 7 digits of your VIN, the type a key word into the search box field that appears...then scroll through the results to see if there are instructions for removal. You may even find instructions on how to remove the bumper and find it's within your comfort range.

Here's a direct link to the TIS: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

EDIT: found this typing "front bumper grill" into the search box: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...umper/HPi8yHwP

Found all of these links typing "remove ultrasonic sensor" into the search box: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...rasonic+sensor
This is amazing information. Similar to what DerBosewicht recommended but with pictures ... only difference is that these instruction do recommend removing the front bumper panel, which I would rather not do.

I tried prying that side grill, but the cone/vent behind it seems to be off its position and obstructing me from pushing the grill inwards to unclip it.

I also found few other sections in the bumper (driver-side) air went, which were also loose. The dealer worked on the driver-side headlight last year and they clearly didn't put everything back together properly. Might explain the sensor too, but not sure why that took 1yr to fall off. I can clearly see the passenger-side has no such issues, everything is clipped properly and looks neat.

Anyway, this visual certainly helps and I'll give it another go. I was a little hesitant the first time I tried it cause I kept thinking that I'll break something. I could only get 1 clip off.

Last edited by what_the_deuce; 11-15-2018 at 04:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2022, 05:54 PM   #10
Trailblazer12568
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 650i xdrive m sport

I need some help. I read these posts and still trying to figure out my problem. I have a 2016 650i with m sport package. My passenger-side outer parking sensor is pushed in. I opened up the wheel well near the reflector but there is a radiator blocking the area I need to get to. There was talk about accessing from under the fog light. any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2022, 06:04 PM   #11
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Honestly, I think this is an example of where looking for a shortcut takes longer than the "long" way. If I had a parking sensor that got pushed in, I would not even think of doing anything but pulling off the bumper cover. People seem intimidated by that job. It's really pretty easy. I can have mine off in 15-20 minutes. Less if there is a prize.
Appreciate 0