Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone Metallic F06 M6 Gr

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mberbic View Post
So I went to try and replace my start/stop button and couldn't find a decent guide so I figured I'd do a write up on it.

I tried to use mounting tape and sticky putty to pull it out but no luck...
what do you think about drilling a hole/slot in the old button and using a hook or flat-head to pop it out? what is the switch behind it like?

thanks!

Matt
Your better off just pulling the trim. It's honestly not that difficult. Took me less than 30 mins to do the swap
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 08:18 PM   #24
OC Dealman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' M6 Vert - Comp Package

Thanks for your posts on these DIY projects. I have been looking all over youtube for help and couldn't find anything that applies to an M6!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 11:50 PM   #25
k2damax
Registered
Rep
Drives: f13 m6

anyone have a diy for taking off the front bumper ?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 10:54 AM   #26
mgmarsh39
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Rear door pull removal DIY.

https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1485989
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 03:20 PM   #27
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2damax View Post
kong24680 pulled his bumper off for an intake install. Not sure if he took photos.
      07-26-2018, 03:23 PM   #28
kong24680
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone Metallic F06 M6 Gr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Quote:
kong24680 pulled his bumper off for an intake install. Not sure if he took photos.
I didn't take pictures unfortunately but it isn't too difficult. Pull all the plastic tabs off the top of the bumper in the engine bay then take all the screws out beneath the car and in the wheel liners. There's also a few bolts you have to reach in through the fender to unscrew. Honestly not too difficult.. I just did it on a whim and and figured it out with no DIY.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 05:44 PM   #29
OTJeebus
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 992 GT3 M8cGC

subscribed.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 08:38 AM   #30
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Pretty easy. Hardest part is lining up everything when installing it again and having a long extension for the bolts that mount to fender. Also remember to disconnect cameras and bumper sensors.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 12:41 PM   #31
mberbic
IG: @M6erbic
United_States
Rep
Drives: F12 M6

Figured I should do a DIY for Spark plugs and coils since I completed the job yesterday. Didn't take very many pictures but it was a very easy job.

Step 1:Removing DMEs and bracket.

Remove the plastic engine cover on top to expose the DMEs as well as their bracket that goes over where the downpipes are.

Pull on the DMEs as each is held in by 4 rubber holders(2 up top 2 at bottom) similar to those on the actual engine cover. Once these are off you can undo the grounds on the bracket, this can be done with a 10MM socket(driver's side is towards the front, passenger side is towards the back. near the firewall.

Undo the coolant reservoir with 1 Torx screw and undo it from it's rubber holder on the bracket.

Once that is done you can access 4 torx screws that hold the bracket in place(just look under where the DMEs were and you'll see 2 openings on each side). Undo the coolant reservoir(passenger side) with 1 Torx screw and undo it from it's rubber holder on the bracket. Undo those and unclip the O2 wires from the bracket and gently lift it out.

Now that you have extra room, you can unplug all the connectors from the DMEs (DO NOT DISCONNECT HOSES). The connectors will pull out one by one and you should start with the one that requires you to pull towards the top of the DME to undo them. Be careful as there are holders for the harnesses at the bottom that you do have to unclip to seperate the harness from the DMEs. Once you seperate them, simply put the DMEs towards the front of the engine.

Once you have done these steps you should have easy access to the rear 3 banks on the passenger side and easy access to the rear 2 on driver's side. The third one is kind of blocked by a little reservoir looking thing, didn't really look at what it was. If you undo one of the 10MM Nuts that I highlighted in light blue, you can move it around a little bit and get better access to it.

Step 2: Removing Air Boxes
This is probably the easiest part of the whole process. Unplug the MAF sensors on each airbox then go to the outside and undo the torx screw holding each one in place. Loosen the hose clamps at the top and lift up and out. Make sure that they disconnect from the intake ducts towards the front of the car or you'll have to take them off and reposition them correctly when reassembling the car.

You should now see the 4th coil on both sides behind a bunch of wires. (hardest coil to get to IMO)

Step 3: Change out plugs/coils

Pull up on the little tab on the coil and you'll notice the connector come undone. Unplug completely and stick your finger through the hole on the coil tab and yank it out.

For the actual spark plugs, you will need a special socket specific to the plugs and at least a 6in extender. I used a 6in on most but did add on an extra 4in extender for certain plugs.

I replaced each one at a time and you have to double check to make sure you connect the coils all the way when plugging the connectors back in. You should also push the coils all the way into make sure everything is sealed tight before reassembly (always good to double check because I didn't connect 1 coil all the way and the car started misfiring after I reassembled everything so I had to go through the process twice.)

Step 4:

Reassemble everything and make sure you check all your connections on Coils, DMEs, and MAF plugs. Don't be a moron like me and miss something easy like making sure a connector goes all the way in.

Overall, the first time I did it it took about 3 hours total, second time I had it all in and out within an hour and half.
Appreciate 3
      08-20-2018, 01:07 PM   #32
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

Overall, the first time I did it it took about 3 hours total, second time I had it all in and out within an hour and half.
this is a really good write up. Thanks! So it looks like wiring harnesses doesn't have to come out?

I remember on the M3, the entire freaking coil pack's wiring harness has to come out to get to the plugs near the firewall. On this car, I can clearly see and touch each plug, so at least there are a ton of room to work with.
      08-20-2018, 01:31 PM   #33
mberbic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
this is a really good write up. Thanks! So it looks like wiring harnesses doesn't have to come out?

I remember on the M3, the entire freaking coil pack's wiring harness has to come out to get to the plugs near the firewall. On this car, I can clearly see and touch each plug, so at least there are a ton of room to work with.
Nope wiring harness does not need to come out. I ordered the kit from ECS Tuning that included 8 Plugs, 8 coils, and dielectric grease for like $280 shipped.
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4982.50
      08-24-2018, 10:51 PM   #34
DinanM6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 Dinan S2 M6

Does anyone know of a good DIY for installing H&R springs on a M6? Wanna do it myself but not sure how tough this is. Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 03:53 AM   #35
Novipec
Germany
Rep
Drives: M6 06/2015

don´t install original lowering H&R springs, the M6 will go extreme deep on the front, and the springs are not so stiff than the standard one... it´s not possible to ride in comfort setting.
They lowered the car more about 4cm.

Gave H&R a call, sent them pictures from the car and they made new special springs for me who are now driveable (-2cm), and with the same specs (stiffness) than the original one.

Pics are with customs H&R springs on the front, the rear is stock.

Btw.. sorry for my english, I´m Austrian.

Best
Chris
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4982.50
      08-25-2018, 11:51 AM   #36
DinanM6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 Dinan S2 M6

Thanks for the info. Gonna give them a call and see what they say. Any info on installation guy?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 02:26 AM   #37
Novipec
Germany
Rep
Drives: M6 06/2015

Nope, easy job on the front, think there is no need for explanation :-)

Chris
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 01:28 PM   #38
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Updated my first post. I found a better center console removal DIY courtesy of a member here. This is the same task required to swap out the ashtray/cupholder and idrive knob removal.
      08-29-2018, 02:23 PM   #39
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

Quote:
Figured I should do a DIY for Spark plugs and coils since I completed the job yesterday. Didn't take very many pictures but it was a very easy job.

Step 1:Removing DMEs and bracket.

Remove the plastic engine cover on top to expose the DMEs as well as their bracket that goes over where the downpipes are.

Pull on the DMEs as each is held in by 4 rubber holders(2 up top 2 at bottom) similar to those on the actual engine cover. Once these are off you can undo the grounds on the bracket, this can be done with a 10MM socket(driver's side is towards the front, passenger side is towards the back. near the firewall.

Undo the coolant reservoir with 1 Torx screw and undo it from it's rubber holder on the bracket.

Once that is done you can access 4 torx screws that hold the bracket in place(just look under where the DMEs were and you'll see 2 openings on each side). Undo the coolant reservoir(passenger side) with 1 Torx screw and undo it from it's rubber holder on the bracket. Undo those and unclip the O2 wires from the bracket and gently lift it out.

Now that you have extra room, you can unplug all the connectors from the DMEs (DO NOT DISCONNECT HOSES). The connectors will pull out one by one and you should start with the one that requires you to pull towards the top of the DME to undo them. Be careful as there are holders for the harnesses at the bottom that you do have to unclip to seperate the harness from the DMEs. Once you seperate them, simply put the DMEs towards the front of the engine.

Once you have done these steps you should have easy access to the rear 3 banks on the passenger side and easy access to the rear 2 on driver's side. The third one is kind of blocked by a little reservoir looking thing, didn't really look at what it was. If you undo one of the 10MM Nuts that I highlighted in light blue, you can move it around a little bit and get better access to it.

Step 2: Removing Air Boxes
This is probably the easiest part of the whole process. Unplug the MAF sensors on each airbox then go to the outside and undo the torx screw holding each one in place. Loosen the hose clamps at the top and lift up and out. Make sure that they disconnect from the intake ducts towards the front of the car or you'll have to take them off and reposition them correctly when reassembling the car.

You should now see the 4th coil on both sides behind a bunch of wires. (hardest coil to get to IMO)

Step 3: Change out plugs/coils

Pull up on the little tab on the coil and you'll notice the connector come undone. Unplug completely and stick your finger through the hole on the coil tab and yank it out.

For the actual spark plugs, you will need a special socket specific to the plugs and at least a 6in extender. I used a 6in on most but did add on an extra 4in extender for certain plugs.

I replaced each one at a time and you have to double check to make sure you connect the coils all the way when plugging the connectors back in. You should also push the coils all the way into make sure everything is sealed tight before reassembly (always good to double check because I didn't connect 1 coil all the way and the car started misfiring after I reassembled everything so I had to go through the process twice.)

Step 4:

Reassemble everything and make sure you check all your connections on Coils, DMEs, and MAF plugs. Don't be a moron like me and miss something easy like making sure a connector goes all the way in.

Step 1, disconnect the battery.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 03:05 PM   #40
mberbic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalM6GC View Post
Step 1, disconnect the battery.
I didn't disconnect the battery. But yes you probably should as you're dealing with a lot of electrical plugs when pulling DMEs
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 04:42 PM   #41
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

Quote:
I didn't disconnect the battery. But yes you probably should as you're dealing with a lot of electrical plugs when pulling DMEs
Yeah you don't want to short out that DME, a $3-4k mistake.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 03:53 PM   #42
MetZF82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F06 M6

This is all some really good stuff as a new owner. I just did the IND side markers with cameras. My grills come in tomorrow and I have been looking for a diy on the grills.

Anyone know if they come off by just pulling or will I need to remove all the plastic covers etc?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 08:53 PM   #43
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetZF82 View Post
This is all some really good stuff as a new owner. I just did the IND side markers with cameras. My grills come in tomorrow and I have been looking for a diy on the grills.

Anyone know if they come off by just pulling or will I need to remove all the plastic covers etc?
Read the DIY on post 1. It is absolutely not a pull. You must access the tabs.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 10:28 PM   #44
MetZF82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F06 M6

Quote:
Read the DIY on post 1. It is absolutely not a pull. You must access the tabs.
I took a look but wasn't sure if the 650 and M6 setup was the same.
Appreciate 0