BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      03-07-2021, 10:54 AM   #1
Kwj
Rep
Drives: 650i xDrive Coupe

Rattles and knocking noises

Very glad this community exists, as I have found much help here. Just wanted to share my (slightly amateur) experience with trying to figure out the odd rattles and knocking noises on my 650i for those who may just be getting into it.

1. Had a rattle coming from my steering wheel that would worsen when going over bumps and driving on local roads (note that I live in New York so the roads here aren't the best). Long story short, it was a rattle coming from the steering wheel vibration generator. Replaced that, but it only took about 80-90% of the sound away. It drove me crazy to the point I took my steering wheel apart, and even drove with the plastic trim off to better locate the source.
Turns out, that last residual rattle wasn't even the steering wheel. I have progressive insurance so when I connected the stupid snapshot device to the OBD connector, there's a bit of a rattle that happens due to the extra added weight down by the panel in front of my left foot. Will have to wait until I'm done to return it to get rid of that last bit of rattle...

2. Roof rattle. Would happen, again, when I went over bumps and uneven roads. Thought it was a loose part of the roof lining, or maybe something had broken off and was rolling around. Nope. Turned out to be the moonroof/sunroof, right where it comes to contact with the rubber part when it's closed. Bought a rubber sealant/conditioner and that fixed it right up.

3. Rattle from the rear(?). This was the most...amateur resolution. Every time I went over a speed bump, or any sort of uneven ground at any speed, I would always hear a knocking/rattle from the back. Mind you, I had gone over a few potholes due to the recent snowstorm here so I was worried I had blown a strut or something (also recently fixed all the dented rims and got new tires as well). Again, thought it was a loose panel or something of the sort. Then I realized I had a handful of things in my trunk I always kept since I've always had a car. Car detailing items, snow brush, extra jacket, umbrella.. just little things that would come up here and there. I cleared everything out of my trunk and took it for a drive in some bumpy areas of Brooklyn. Finally, silence *.

I'll try to update as I hear and hopefully resolve little noises I hear as time goes on.

Again, very thankful for this community and hope this helps someone who may just be getting into their lovely 6 series.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 11:16 AM   #2
Derekz4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i. BMW Z4,01 Bullitt

There are 2 areas around the steering wheel area prone to rattles. One is the trim piece on the dash below the instrument cluster and the heads up display bezel.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 12:38 PM   #3
M6
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 650i Cabriolet

I have a similiar issue, the rattling sounds like its coming from my left side view mirror, i just push the glass backwards and its fine, go on the slighest bumoy surface and its back, really annoying, anyone else whos experienced this issue?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 01:21 PM   #4
Mnfamilyguy2020
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4MC 2018 RR

Great list!

For the body pops and creaks on my F06 during sidewalk transitions and road bumps I’ve used Gummi Pflege Stift' Rubber Care Stick on door/window/sunroof seals with great success.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 02:41 PM   #5
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Lately have been getting a worsening knock/rattle that sounds like its plastic on plastic up around the dash area. So far have pulled the overhead console, rearview mirror, infotainment screen, climate control unit and heads up display trim to investigate but to no avail.

Does not seem to be speed dependent but is most noticeable in the 20-50mph range over bumps and joints in the road. Almost sounds like a clock ticking whenever I hit a bump to give an idea of tone. As if there is some loose plastic piece or connector hitting another plastic component.

Anyone with a similar issue or ideas?