BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      03-23-2021, 01:27 PM   #1
bg6
Rep
Drives: Volt, Tesla MY, 2014 M6 GC

Warranty questions

I know this topic of 3rd party or extended warranty has been beaten to death, but just looking for general thoughts.
I'm looking to get into a 2016 or 2017 M6 GC. I called around a few dealerships and those who responded have provided a quote of ~4.2k for a 3 year/36k mile BMW ESC for Powertrain Plus - which seems to cover the big ticket items minus any oil leaks/gasket related issues.
Other option the dealership told me is a 3rd party warranty, but I'd have to get a pre-purchase inspection done before they can sell it.
Any experience/thoughts on either of these options?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 02:21 PM   #2
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

I started a thread on this a year and a half ago when I purchased an out of warranty F06. I've updated it with my experience on claims too

https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1670180

Let me know if you have any questions that aren't covered. FYI I would opt for exclusionary coverage (bumper to bumper), as in my experience (and speaking to service advisors), it's electronic items/sensors and such that go wrong more often than a total engine failure on these electronic-heavy german cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 07:17 PM   #3
bg6
Rep
Drives: Volt, Tesla MY, 2014 M6 GC

Thanks MMMM6GC. Appreciate the help - I do recall seeing the link in one of my earlier searches, but couldn't locate it again. I'm in SoCal, and for some reason a majority of BMW dealerships I called around here seem to not be interested in selling a warranty - if the car is currently out of warranty. Now I'm wondering if the 2 quotes I got are legit. I'll try some of the contacts in your list tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 08:25 PM   #4
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep

That's strange! Usually they have a nice little mark up on a warranty and it's the easiest money they'll make having someone walk in and purchase one - they're not backing it just selling it!

Some other points, make sure you check out which company is actually backing the warranty. I would also pick a specific car (assuming you haven't bought one), and take the VIN and mileage along with you - these are important before they can run a quote. You can also try non-BMW dealers, half my quotes were either online or from non BMW dealerships. Definitely shop around. You should have no problems getting a 3rd party warranty on a '16 or '17 model year, unless the mileage is really high.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 11:04 AM   #5
BMWRog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMM6GC View Post
That's strange! Usually they have a nice little mark up on a warranty and it's the easiest money they'll make having someone walk in and purchase one - they're not backing it just selling it!
That's interesting, as I'm sure in the UK, BMW won't sell a warranty on a vehicle that's run out of the factory warranty. You have to renew with BMW BEFORE the factory warranty expires.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 11:15 AM   #6
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRog View Post
That's interesting, as I'm sure in the UK, BMW won't sell a warranty on a vehicle that's run out of the factory warranty. You have to renew with BMW BEFORE the factory warranty expires.
The ones dealer's sell are 3rd party, not BMW factory. Although it's sometimes not as clear cut, for example a 3rd party warranty provider - Assurant - also back the BMW dealer certified pre-owned (CPO) warranty (slightly different to the original factory warranty). You can purchase this from a BMW dealer or directly from Assurant for the same product, providing your car is eligible. Dealer's usually have an alternative too (especially larger ones) where they have deals with 3rd party warranty suppliers for used cars.

It gets weirder still - other manufacturer's offer factory backed warranties ... for brands they don't even manufacture. One of the best quotes I received for my F06 was a MOPAR factory backed warranty from a Chrysler dealership!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 01:33 PM   #7
DRKNTM6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6

I am in NorCal, and the dealership wouldn't even sell me an extended warranty while my car was still under the factory warranty (it was about to expire.) They did however try and sell me an extended maintenance package. Really disappointing to see BMW not wanting to stand behind such an expensive vehicle with only 25k miles on it, but still greedy enough to try and sell me maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg6 View Post
Thanks MMMM6GC. Appreciate the help - I do recall seeing the link in one of my earlier searches, but couldn't locate it again. I'm in SoCal, and for some reason a majority of BMW dealerships I called around here seem to not be interested in selling a warranty - if the car is currently out of warranty. Now I'm wondering if the 2 quotes I got are legit. I'll try some of the contacts in your list tomorrow.
Appreciate 0