BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

04-05-2019, 06:57 AM   #1
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: m6

link between burning oil and not making enough power with tune?

Last edited by Xx__xs; 05-05-2019 at 04:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 02:25 PM   #2
M6DYS
SPEED DEMON
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

That sounds scary. I’m not a pro, but a beginner with modifying the M6. But, I’m sure that the excessive oil burning is related to your tuner and mod combination. If I were in your situation, I would first remove the tuner from my vehicle. Also, if my memory is correct, a stage 2 tuner requires more than just downpipes upgrade. Anyone with better knowledge of the required mechanics to mod the M6 can chime in.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 02:42 PM   #3
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6DYS View Post
That sounds scary. I’m not a pro, but a beginner with modifying the M6. But, I’m sure that the excessive oil burning is related to your tuner and mod combination. If I were in your situation, I would first remove the tuner from my vehicle. Also, if my memory is correct, a stage 2 tuner requires more than just downpipes upgrade. Anyone with better knowledge of the required mechanics to mod the M6 can chime in.
ive been burning a quart every 700 miles ever since i purchased this car (way before the tune)

also, i havent heard of anything besides downpipes for stage 2

Last edited by Xx__xs; 04-05-2019 at 02:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 02:56 PM   #4
M6DYS
SPEED DEMON
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx__xs View Post
ive been burning a quart every 700 miles ever since i purchased this car
You purchased the car new or used? I’ve never burnt oil in any of my BMWs. I’ve owned 3 M6s, 1 335I, 2 M5s, 2 M3s, and a 550I. All of which I have bought brand new and I’ve driven most of them as my daily drivers. Never had any oil burning problems. Do you have your oil changes and other regular maintenance at a BMW dealership? Sometimes the dealership may have Ecuador updates that can fix the problem. Either way, your vehicle should not be burning that much oil. I suggest that you take it to a BMW dealership to have it checked out.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 03:07 PM   #5
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You purchased the car new or used? I’ve never burnt oil in any of my BMWs. I’ve owned 3 M6s, 1 335I, 2 M5s, 2 M3s, and a 550I. All of which I have bought brand new and I’ve driven most of them as my daily drivers. Never had any oil burning problems. Do you have your oil changes and other regular maintenance at a BMW dealership? Sometimes the dealership may have Ecuador updates that can fix the problem. Either way, your vehicle should not be burning that much oil. I suggest that you take it to a BMW dealership to have it checked out.
used with 40k miles. it is widely recognized to be normal to burn 1 quart at every 1000 miles. my m3 burnt about this much. ive changed the oil after 3k miles.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 03:24 PM   #6
M6DYS
SPEED DEMON
United_States
Rep

I see. Turbos do burn a little more oil than na vehicles. But, like I’ve mentioned earlier, I’ve never experienced the type of problem that you are currently having with any of my BMWs. I’m currently running the following mods on my F13. Catless downpipes, aftermarket high performance full exhaust, cold air exhaust, high performance charge pipes, spark plugs, and stage 2 tuner. Haven’t experienced any problems with my vehicle at all. Plus, I installed all the parts and tuner myself. I’m not a mechanic or anything like that. Just had my vehicle serviced and the dealership never mentioned anything about my vehicle having any problems. I don’t know what to tell you. However, I would suggest that you get a pro to look at your vehicle. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 10:04 PM   #7
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I see. Turbos do burn a little more oil than na vehicles. But, like I’ve mentioned earlier, I’ve never experienced the type of problem that you are currently having with any of my BMWs. I’m currently running the following mods on my F13. Catless downpipes, aftermarket high performance full exhaust, cold air exhaust, high performance charge pipes, spark plugs, and stage 2 tuner. Haven’t experienced any problems with my vehicle at all. Plus, I installed all the parts and tuner myself. I’m not a mechanic or anything like that. Just had my vehicle serviced and the dealership never mentioned anything about my vehicle having any problems. I don’t know what to tell you. However, I would suggest that you get a pro to look at your vehicle. Good luck.
while i understand that burning oil this frequently is not ideal, i do know that it is within the spectrum that bmw calls "normal". So my concern is not necessarily why is my car burning oil, or how do i stop it.

i am concerned about whether or not the burning of the oil is correlated with the power output of my engine, considering it has a stage 2 tune.

i dont really care about 10$ top up every 3 weeks or so. theres nothing i can do about it other than get a new engine and break it in properly.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 10:12 PM   #8
M6DYS
SPEED DEMON
United_States
Rep

You have a point. Let’s see what others may have to say about your question.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 10:56 PM   #9
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Did you get a dyno tune or a OTF tune (off the shelf ) Tune?
I would suggest you getting a dyno tune so the tuner can adjust your parameters and fully see how your car is running to its full potential on 91 octane gas, you said he lowered your boost , I’m thinking your tuner is guessing the Motor is knocking and pulling timing in result of loss of engine power due to shitty fuel, if 91 is only available you might want to drop down to stage 1 and see how that works,700 whp on 91 octane is asking for a lot
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 11:10 PM   #10
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
Did you get a dyno tune or a OTF tune (off the shelf ) Tune?
I would suggest you getting a dyno tune so the tuner can adjust your parameters and fully see how your car is running to its full potential on 91 octane gas, you said he lowered your boost , I’m thinking your tuner is guessing the Motor is knocking and pulling timing in result of loss of engine power due to shitty fuel, if 91 is only available you might want to drop down to stage 1 and see how that works,700 whp on 91 octane is asking for a lot
OTF tune. i recommended a dyno tune after i saw the low hp numbers, he said come in for a retune. i went in, he drove my car. and did a diagnosis with a laptop while driving. retuned it (and yes that is why he lowered the boost due to knock) drove it again, said it feels better now. there was still some knock.

now i have yet to dyno it. im in cali so all we have is 91. sure i can get flex fuel but thats not realistic. im not gonna be filling that up regularly.

well i paid for a stage 2 so i dont know how dropping to a stage 1 will increase power..i dont know. it is asking for a lot but i just wanted what he promised which is 620whp. im pretty far from that.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 01:31 AM   #11
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
OTF tune. i recommended a dyno tune after i saw the low hp numbers, he said come in for a retune. i went in, he drove my car. and did a diagnosis with a laptop while driving. retuned it (and yes that is why he lowered the boost due to knock) drove it again, said it feels better now. there was still some knock.

now i have yet to dyno it. im in cali so all we have is 91. sure i can get flex fuel but thats not realistic. im not gonna be filling that up regularly.

well i paid for a stage 2 so i dont know how dropping to a stage 1 will increase power..i dont know. it is asking for a lot but i just wanted what he promised which is 620whp. im pretty far from that.
When I was dealing with Renntech for my tune a AMG a while ago they had 3 tunes
The lowest one was for 91 octane , they recommended not to go to the higher tunes if 93 isn’t available , You will make more power if the computer isn’t sensing knock, It really sounds like you got a bad batch of gas , try a different gas station ,sometimes these things are a pain , did he tell you why it’s still knocking? If he does stage 2 all the time with 91 octane he should figure out why your having a problem and fix it .
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 03:06 AM   #12
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
When I was dealing with Renntech for my tune a AMG a while ago they had 3 tunes
The lowest one was for 91 octane , they recommended not to go to the higher tunes if 93 isn’t available , You will make more power if the computer isn’t sensing knock, It really sounds like you got a bad batch of gas , try a different gas station ,sometimes these things are a pain , did he tell you why it’s still knocking? If he does stage 2 all the time with 91 octane he should figure out why your having a problem and fix it .
well he says that every engine is different. some knock some dont. but he says bmw says SOME knock is normal in these engines.

thats why he recommends flex fuel to me, but i cant consistently fill that up..

and ya he also mentioned the burning oil as a factor which is why i made this thread.

i fill up shell 91 80% of the time idk. we will see after the dyno.

i am also going to flash to stock when i dyno. MAYBE my particular car has low stock numbers, which is why after tuned i can only get to 585 whp. so if the stock ecu barely makes 480 whp when its supposed to make around 500-520whp...then 585whp isnt too bad.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 09:50 PM   #13
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Turbo motors do burn more oil , but burning oil might not lead to less power, he should do a compression test and a fuel pressure test just to make sure everything is healthy, I’m going to be doing catless downpipes and contemplating on stage 1 or stage 2 , stage 1 is a nice jump in power for me to get used to and see how she runs , then figure out if I want to go higher , the car for what I use it for is plenty fast stock but since I have to get rid of the cel light might as well tune it , I think you going back to stock to get a base line is a good idea , I hope everything works out for you
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 08:40 PM   #14
Mnite_S63
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M6, 2010 X5M

What oil are you using?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 02:59 AM   #15
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnite_S63 View Post
What oil are you using?
bmw twin turbo oil i think its 0-30
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 08:13 PM   #16
Mnite_S63
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M6, 2010 X5M

Try changing oil. I use to burn every 1K miles with oem oil. Switched to liquid moly 0w-40 and haven't had issues of topping off.

I had same issue with x5m and switched oil also.
Appreciate 1
Xx__xs199.00
      04-11-2019, 11:01 PM   #17
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnite_S63 View Post
Try changing oil. I use to burn every 1K miles with oem oil. Switched to liquid moly 0w-40 and haven't had issues of topping off.

I had same issue with x5m and switched oil also.
i heard 0-40 is basically only better than 5-30 if its really super hot..its not that hot here yet so im going with 5-30 tomorrow lets see what it does.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 05:23 AM   #18
Airz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 Sakhir Coupe

Quote:
well he says that every engine is different. some knock some dont. but he says bmw says SOME knock is normal in these engines.

thats why he recommends flex fuel to me, but i cant consistently fill that up..

and ya he also mentioned the burning oil as a factor which is why i made this thread.

i fill up shell 91 80% of the time idk. we will see after the dyno.

i am also going to flash to stock when i dyno. MAYBE my particular car has low stock numbers, which is why after tuned i can only get to 585 whp. so if the stock ecu barely makes 480 whp when its supposed to make around 500-520whp...then 585whp isnt too bad.
I'd be really concerned with this statement as any knock even mild knock can damage an engine over time especially turbo engines. It's never normal to have knock. If I was you I'd be seeking a second opinion.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 06:26 PM   #19
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Every online shop that sells liqui Moly offers 5w40 for M5/M6 cars , I’m actually going to switch to liqui Moly Molygen there green oil , I know they use this to easily find leaks as it glows with a black light , but it also has perfect blend of there anti friction additives
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 03:50 PM   #20
rkb4_photos
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M6

Any update of what caused the excess oil burn? I currently own a 13 M6 with a Dinan Stage 1 tuner and burn one quart every 550 miles. I took it in to the dealer, they "fogged" the motor to check for leaks, and it wasn't producing enough fog to say its broke...

I find it taxing to drive to a dealer every month.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 01:00 PM   #21
MetZF82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F06 M6

I have the same issue. My car is burning a lot of oil frequently before and after tuned.

I'm under warranty still and my mechanic who works on M's and Amg's told me it's my crankcase valve vent.

There's oil stuck in the lines. I have a quart in my car and in my garage at all times cause it burns so frequent.

I'm going to call bmw schedule an appointment sometime today or tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 01:16 PM   #22
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb4_photos View Post
Any update of what caused the excess oil burn? I currently own a 13 M6 with a Dinan Stage 1 tuner and burn one quart every 550 miles. I took it in to the dealer, they "fogged" the motor to check for leaks, and it wasn't producing enough fog to say its broke...

I find it taxing to drive to a dealer every month.
i switched to 5-30 liqui moly. i put 470 miles on it so far. we will see what happens. im hoping it goes to 1000 miles before it asks for oil. if that happens then ill be happy.

550 miles seems bad but mine was 750 so its not too far. how much hp is yours running?
Appreciate 0