BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

06-12-2020, 07:07 PM   #1
board57796
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Gran Coupe

Question Dragging Rear Brake

I’ve been having this issue for a few months. My left rear brake seems to be dragging/catching. I noticed with my window down and especially while making RIGHT hand turns, that I could hear my left rear brake scraping. It was rhythmic, and was correlated to the speed I was going (slow speed, the scraping would come off and on slowly. Speed up and the off and on would be faster). If you’ve ever been around a brake rotor that’s uneven and being turned/cut on a machine, it sounds like that. Uneven scraping until the rotor is smooth/flat, then no more scraping. Again, it’s worse when I make a right turn and the body weight of the car shifts to the left side. Once I’m going straight again, I don’t hear the scraping. I replaced my pads, rotors and even that caliper, and it’s still happening. When I replaced the pads, the inner pad on that brake was completely worn down to the metal, while the other 3 rear pads were just fine. I sprayed iron remover on the car, the kind that turns purple when it reacts to brake dust and iron, and that quarter of the car turned blood red from all the brake dust that it’s spitting off.

I’m sort of at a loss as to what could be causing this. New pads, new rotors, changed out the caliper. The brakes were rebuilt from my power coating job. What else? Wheel bearing? The backing plate? It did seem to start after I went on a dirt road, so maybe a piece of rock got stuck in something and it presses the rotor onto the pad at a certain point with each rotation of the wheel?

Anyone else have this issue before?
Appreciate 0