BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      11-13-2019, 07:50 AM   #1
KrazyKorean
KrazyKorean
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe

Talking Bimmer-Tech Wireless CarPlay.. Finally!!!!!

I thought I would start a thread incase people wanted Carplay in their 6 Series. I have 2014 M6 Gran Coupe.

I have been waiting for a while for them to release a Wireless version, yes I know there is Chinese version and UK versions that do it now but those are a little wonky and I knew Bimmer-Tech would release one more "Oem" like.

I made the order last night, won't ship til December 1st and will ship in the order it was received so I am assuming a few weeks after since this will probably sell a lot.

I have also purchased a new LCI iDrive screen to update my dated Pre-LCI screen, so this will make a nice combo and basically what I wanted.

I will update this thread once I get it and pics as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 09:52 AM   #2
brightsons
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 650i GC

Will this work with CIC Radios?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 10:06 AM   #3
KrazyKorean
KrazyKorean
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightsons View Post
Will this work with CIC Radios?
I am not sure, check their site and enter in your VIN and it will show you.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 10:13 AM   #4
iamvanja
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i GC white on red

I was super happy with the Chinese wired one - everything worked perfectly. Then they released the wireless one so I've decided to "upgrade".
Big mistake - audio skips, glitchy UI (slow and artifacts all over the screen),... Just not a great experience. And it's not that uncommon for these problems to appear on wireless CarPlay (just Google, even the OEM solutions have bunch of problems). Went back to the wired one and I am back to everything working 100%.
I hope wireless works for you...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 10:17 AM   #5
KrazyKorean
KrazyKorean
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamvanja View Post
I was super happy with the Chinese wired one - everything worked perfectly. Then they released the wireless one so I've decided to "upgrade".
Big mistake - audio skips, glitchy UI (slow and artifacts all over the screen),... Just not a great experience. And it's not that uncommon for these problems to appear on wireless CarPlay (just Google, even the OEM solutions have bunch of problems). Went back to the wired one and I am back to everything working 100%.
I hope wireless works for you...
Yea I agree, that is why I never went to the wireless option on the Chinese options. Bimmer-Tech wired solution is awesome from what I seen and read but still didnt want to do it wired. But Bimmer-Tech from what I have researched puts more R&D into their products so I trust this more. But we will see once I receive it.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 10:20 AM   #6
iamvanja
Lieutenant
Rep

Bimmer-Tech is also Chinese with a different firmware and maybe slightly different hardware AFAIK...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 07:41 PM   #7
e38740imd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 640i

I hope a wireless android auto will come to effect.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 05:49 PM   #8
Thewrench86
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 \M sport. F06 640d M Sport

Looks like someone has got one!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 09:17 AM   #9
SVTruong
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 428i GC, '15 640i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKorean View Post
I thought I would start a thread incase people wanted Carplay in their 6 Series. I have 2014 M6 Gran Coupe.

I have been waiting for a while for them to release a Wireless version, yes I know there is Chinese version and UK versions that do it now but those are a little wonky and I knew Bimmer-Tech would release one more "Oem" like.

I made the order last night, won't ship til December 1st and will ship in the order it was received so I am assuming a few weeks after since this will probably sell a lot.

I have also purchased a new LCI iDrive screen to update my dated Pre-LCI screen, so this will make a nice combo and basically what I wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKorean View Post

So the LCI screen will fit on Pre LCI cars? Is it a direct fit?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 10:50 AM   #10
Thewrench86
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 \M sport. F06 640d M Sport

I believe it is. I've seen a few post of people changing it out.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 10:57 AM   #11
elvisisdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 MSport 2013/09

This could be an interesting solution over ripping out my nbt and retrofitting nbt Evo. Like you I need to update my screen to an lci version, it's making my experience of the car feel very dated.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 05:56 PM   #12
KrazyKorean
KrazyKorean
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTruong View Post
So the LCI screen will fit on Pre LCI cars? Is it a direct fit?
Yea its a direct fit, I am waiting for the MMI to come in and swap it all out at once.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 08:01 PM   #13
iamvanja
Lieutenant
Rep

SVTruong Thewrench86 The screen/connection are a direct fit, but the backplate isn't. More info here: https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1600857
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 09:52 PM   #14
dsocold
Captain
American Samoa
Rep
Drives: f06 640i GC. E82 N54 135i

my mmi prime unit was just installed by me and the wireless sucks... first of all it does not connect to my xs max ios 13.3 at all and on my iphone x ios 13.3 it connects instantly but sucks completely and only works when the iphone is near the ac/radio panel where the mmi prime is stored behind.. It is as if the wifi antenna doest not work whatsoever because when i nove the phone to the backseat when it kooses all reception i postion the antenna towards the phone in the back and it changes absoloutely nothing
Appreciate 1
iamvanja167.00
      12-15-2019, 09:45 AM   #15
iamvanja
Lieutenant
Rep

I wish more people read our posts, dsocold!
Wireless CarPlay is IMHO just not ready for prime time...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 12:01 PM   #16
dsocold
Captain
American Samoa
Rep
Drives: f06 640i GC. E82 N54 135i

Quote:
the problem is the antenna is shit honestly its clear the antenna does nothing cuz once i out the phone near the prime it works flawlessly there antenna is trash
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 12:12 PM   #17
SVTruong
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 428i GC, '15 640i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsocold View Post
Quote:
the problem is the antenna is shit honestly its clear the antenna does nothing cuz once i out the phone near the prime it works flawlessly there antenna is trash
Awww that's so disappointing... do they still sell their wired CarPlay? Anybody toy with the other brands?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 01:24 PM   #18
e38740imd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 640i

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisisdog View Post
This could be an interesting solution over ripping out my nbt and retrofitting nbt Evo. Like you I need to update my screen to an lci version, it's making my experience of the car feel very dated.
any more details of this nbt evo retrofit
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 06:53 PM   #19
shagler
Private
Rep
Drives: M850i

Garage List
2019 BMW M850i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTruong View Post
Anybody toy with the other brands?
Here is my post on this site regarding my experiences with UniChip Wireless CarPlay device https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1646658

I have used this device both in a wireless configuration and a wired configuration and I am currently using it as wireless because I like the flexibility to just get in the car and go.

My experience is that the latest UniChip (with latest firmware) device is very good. I get in the car, hit the #8 key to switch to CarPlay and the device has already found my iPhone via bluetooth and very quickly transitions to CarPlay (which uses WiFi).

My current set of negatives:
  • Sound is a bit bass heavy, so I have simply adjusted via EQ (within iDrive).
  • If I leave the car and come back within a couple of minutes, I have found that the iPhone and UniChip sometimes (not often) don't auto connect.
  • The mic that is used with this device for CarPlay is not as good as BMW microphone that is in the car. For this, I have maintained a bluetooth connection to the iDrive, but telephone only, no bluetooth audio (since audio is via CarPlay which uses its own WiFi). This allows me to use stock microphone for calls and everything else is via CarPlay - Note: This sometimes means that you have to select the Car's bluetooth within phone app rather than CarPlay.
Positives:
  • Works as advertised - Not perfect, but I believe it to be a good implementation.
  • Support has been very good. I have exchanged WhatsApp messages with Gary there, including getting some firmware updates and him helping me with black screen which is described in the post noted above. I will say that Support is not fast unless you are engaging them during Hong Kong business hours.
  • Wasn't sure if I would really like CarPlay over iDrive...I can say that I am now switching to CarPlay every time I get in the car. I go back to iDrive for settings and notifications, but for GPS mapping and iPhone audio (Apple Music and Spotify), CarPlay is better. ...my 2 cents.

Of course, your mileage may vary as @iamvanja notes earlier in this thread and within my post.

Steven
Appreciate 1