BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

03-27-2021, 09:06 AM   #23
pmatias03
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp, 2011 M3 E93

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M5 Comp  [0.00]
The feedback here has been great and really helpful. I know I want a full frame camera for sure. Here is where I still am struggling to make a decision on:

DSLR vs Mirrorless? Is one better than the other? Advantages vs Disadvantages? Does one system take better "out of the box" photos? Which one requires the least amount of editing? I think this is important for me as a beginner. I should also mention size is not necessarily an issue for me.

New vs Used? A good call out was the shutter count should that concern me? I do realized there is excellent value for a used camera compared to new. It would be nice to buy a camera I will use for a few years without having to upgrade so that's where I slightly lean towards new but not a must.

What system to buy into? Switching systems can be very expensive so deciding on Nikon vs Canon for DSLR or Sony for Mirrorless. Once I buy into a system I don't plan on changing the body for another brand just adding more lenses.
Appreciate 1
Littlebear3506.50
      03-27-2021, 03:57 PM   #24
TwoTonic
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmatias03 View Post
DSLR vs Mirrorless? Is one better than the other? Advantages vs Disadvantages? Does one system take better "out of the box" photos? Which one requires the least amount of editing? I think this is important for me as a beginner. I should also mention size is not necessarily an issue for me.
Most mirrorless cameras will have far better autofocus systems and the AF points will cover far more of the sensor.

The DSLR viewfinder can be nicer because it’s “real” and you don’t have to worry about framerate. But if you focus using the back screen then it doesn’t matter.

If you don’t want to edit, then you’ll be shooting JPEG and the camera’s color science will matter a lot more. IMHO, for me processing RAW files is part of the fun so I never shoot JPEG. On the interwebs, many feel that Canon have the “best” colors and Sony the “worst.” It’s highly subjective and depends on many factors.

Quote:
New vs Used? A good call out was the shutter count should that concern me? I do realized there is excellent value for a used camera compared to new. It would be nice to buy a camera I will use for a few years without having to upgrade so that's where I slightly lean towards new but not a must.
So long as the camera is in decent shape, no reason to avoid used. Plenty of folks have cameras that are rarely used before they decide to sell them.

The lenses matter more than the body. That being said, I’ve bought more used lenses than bodies! I would be wary of getting older used lenses and putting them on a new body. Lenses that were amazing in the 80s probably won’t resolve enough on a modern camera.

Quote:
What system to buy into? Switching systems can be very expensive so deciding on Nikon vs Canon for DSLR or Sony for Mirrorless. Once I buy into a system I don't plan on changing the body for another brand just adding more lenses.
No one can decide that for you. Canon and Nikon also make excellent mirrorless systems, but they are new so the lens choice isn’t there yet. Sony has tons of lenses and they don’t lock down their mount parameters, so there are plenty of 3rd party options as well. I’ve switched systems a couple of times, and it’s no worse than going from Porsche to BMW. You may lose some money, but it’s just for fun, right? I really loved the Pentax stuff I had, and invested a lot in the system. Once I got into photographing things that moved (birds, car racing, etc), the AF was so bad it was a constant source of frustration. I’m really happy with the Sony stuff I have now. It does not have the same build quality or feel of the Pentax gear, but it sure is lighter, faster, and better at tracking a moving subject. There is no perfect system, so don’t agonize forever- you’re missing shots while you wait!
Appreciate 2
pmatias03119.00
Littlebear3506.50
      03-27-2021, 11:34 PM   #25
evil-G-nius
Broke A$$ Super Hero
United_States
Rep
Drives: Infiniti G37 S Coupe

My first camera....real camera was a Nikon D3400. Its a great starter, reasonably priced and you can find lens bundles so you can start with a traditional 18-55mm and a 70-300mm lens without the extra cost involved. Now you can probably get the D5600 bundle for around the same price. This will allow you to practice for the look you want to portray in you pics. I know people are saying look into used equipment, personally, I don't like buying electronics used...its just an OCD thing for me for some reason. I'd buy a used car but not a used camera...IDK why! LOL
Appreciate 1
pmatias03119.00
      03-28-2021, 08:26 AM   #26
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Hey everyone, I'm looking for some advice as a beginner into a car photography. I've been doing research and it's narrowed down to Canon, Sony or Nikon. I'm flexible on budget but I would say around $2k all in with a lens. Most important for me is that I am new and a beginner so I want to make sure functionality is easy but I am tech savvy so I can learn quick. I also want a camera that I can use over time as I get more experienced. I don't want to sell myself short either.

I will primarily be taking still photos of cars. Maybe a rolling shot here and there. No plans for video right now.

Any recommendations on camera and which lens I need for this type of photography?

Thanks!
Sony alpha full frame mirrorless (a7) and Zeiss lenses. Surf ebay, craigslist, photrio and dyxum and you will find something. Buy the a7 body and a Sony or third party lens if a Zeiss (used) is out of the price range. You can always upgrade lenses later.

A wide-normal-telephoto lens is a good starting point. Buy the most common zoom in your price range and it will get you started. I like prime lenses and would go with fairly wide, normal and mid-telephoto for a fixed focal length setup.

Suprised dcstep hasn't chimed in.
Appreciate 1
Littlebear3506.50
      04-07-2021, 09:12 PM   #27
pmatias03
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp, 2011 M3 E93

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M5 Comp  [0.00]
After a ton of deliberation, research and YouTube videos, I purchased the Sony a7 iii with a Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 lens to start. Thanks everyone for the info and help. Now it's time to start shooting!
Appreciate 1
Littlebear3506.50
      05-06-2021, 08:25 PM   #28
PcarDefector
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT+PS+PE / X3 M40i Stock

Quote:
After a ton of deliberation, research and YouTube videos, I purchased the Sony a7 iii with a Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 lens to start. Thanks everyone for the info and help. Now it's time to start shooting!
Get a good polarizing filter. Will cut down most of the annoying reflections and enrich the color of the subject.

Get a multi-coated design like Hoya ... and circular for flexibility.

https://jalopnik.com/shooting-a-car-...ife-1831435310

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora...larizer-filter
Appreciate 1
pmatias03119.00
      09-16-2021, 09:03 AM   #29
neostyx
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW m135i

Sony a7iii is a really good choice, with a F/2.8 lense you won't be disappointed. You will also be able to give videography a try with that setup !

Have fun with it.
Appreciate 2
pmatias03119.00
Littlebear3506.50