BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      02-13-2021, 11:48 AM   #1
Keca10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M3 ZCP / '20 X3 M40i

Canon R Series - switch to mirrorless?

Has anyone used the new mirrorless cameras from Canon? If yes, please share your thoughts.

I’m looking to switch to full frame and debating to also make the switch to mirrorless. The new R6 looks just about perfect for my needs of amateur video and photography (probably overkill, but it would be so much fun to play with). On the other hand the old 5D MkIII are becoming pretty good deals as used.
Appreciate 2
      02-13-2021, 02:08 PM   #2
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I've always been a 1Series owner and got tired of carrying the heavy backpack through airports, so I sold the 1Dx and 1DsIII and bought two 5DIV's. The R was just announced and I didn't see it as a pro system. I'm perfectly happy with my 5DIV's but if I were starting over, I'd lean toward the R5 or wait till a (R1?) pro mirrorless is revealed. I'm invested in EF L's so I'd add an adapter or two since the R lenses are ridiculously priced.
      02-14-2021, 05:11 PM   #3
joooiiiiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

I really put some thought into getting a mirrorless (specifically the Canon R) but the cost was something I wasn't ready to pull the trigger on yet. Plus, I love having different lens and I understand that I can utilize an adapter to put my 80D lens on, but I would really want some that are specific for the mirrorless camera.

Also, it seems the balance of the camera might be offset from the light body to the heavy lens--thoughts? I'm not sure what to think about that. I'm still content with what I have and I think it won't be for another few years before I actually get into mirrorless.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 05:26 AM   #4
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
I bought an R that eventually replaced my 5DIV, and then picked up an R5 on launch day. I love the images, but frankly hate the form factor. The R5 feels a lot better with the battery grip (just as the R did), it’s just too small without it IMO.

I have a 1DX III as well, and I would kill for an R5 in that body. The substantially better build quality and ergonomics are just wonderful, but I don’t care for the hit to resolution compared to the R5 for stills.

The 1DX III has mostly transitioned to video only for me, as it can shoot all day long in 4K HEVC or 5.5K Cinema Raw Light without overheating. My C200 isn’t getting nearly as much use these days.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 08:24 AM   #5
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

I think the answer is partly what if any lenses you already have. As mentioned if you have a bunch of L EF's maybe skip the new system, if not go for it?

My 6D is >> my older 5D if you are talking video, autofocus, etc. Then again it was MkI of the 5D, the newer ones may have gotten better. Anyhow consider a 6D in the candidates if you haven't already.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 03:29 PM   #6
Keca10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the input and the advice.

As an update...I pulled the trigger on the R6.

I have just the EF 24-105mm F4 L lens so the switch to mirrorless made sense. My other EF lens is the 50 mm F1.4 prime (mid-level), which is super fun and sharp. I got an adaptor and it all works really well.

Initial impressions:
- AF is amazing
- Body is smaller and lighter than I expected but I don’t mind it so far
- amazing video 4K
- picture quality is next level.
- I like the mirrorless experience and seeing the results as you adjust settings
- love how easy it is to make adjustments
- this is an expensive hobby
Appreciate 2
Itsed652605.50
      02-15-2021, 04:25 PM   #7
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keca10 View Post
- this is an expensive hobby
Appreciate 1
Itsed652605.50
      02-19-2021, 01:12 PM   #8
Vulpe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C

Garage List
I upgraded from an 80D to an R6 and it's pretty crazy the difference in sharpness. Even the 1080p video is a lot sharper. But that may come down to the lens as well going from 17-55 2.8 to 24-70 2.8L.

It feels mostly the same as I am staying in the Canon line. I of course only used them for hobby and traveling so I never put my 80D through any real rigorous duties. And I haven't been able to travel to use my R6 in the same way. I am already feeling the difference in battery life though. Definitely will carry a second battery with me when traveling. The 80D would have half battery at the end of the day.

And yikes the difference in price. I got my 80D grey market new for $700 and my 17-55 2.8 used for $550.

And before I go on a another trip later I'm probably going to pick up a 24-105 f/4L
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 02:24 PM   #9
Keca10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulpe View Post
I upgraded from an 80D to an R6 and it's pretty crazy the difference in sharpness. Even the 1080p video is a lot sharper. But that may come down to the lens as well going from 17-55 2.8 to 24-70 2.8L.

It feels mostly the same as I am staying in the Canon line. I of course only used them for hobby and traveling so I never put my 80D through any real rigorous duties. And I haven't been able to travel to use my R6 in the same way. I am already feeling the difference in battery life though. Definitely will carry a second battery with me when traveling. The 80D would have half battery at the end of the day.

And yikes the difference in price. I got my 80D grey market new for $700 and my 17-55 2.8 used for $550.

And before I go on a another trip later I'm probably going to pick up a 24-105 f/4L

Are you using all RF lenses or adapting the EFs?
I notice that used EF lenses can be had for less usually, but the new RF are slightly better optically (maybe) and less bulky.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 12:51 AM   #10
Vulpe
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keca10 View Post
Are you using all RF lenses or adapting the EFs?
I notice that used EF lenses can be had for less usually, but the new RF are slightly better optically (maybe) and less bulky.
I got an RF lens, only have the 24-70 so far. I don't have much EF lenses anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 10:02 AM   #11
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

Vulpe, I would not recommend the 24-105L and I think the L designation is a farce. I do own the 16-35/4 and am pleased with it. That and a 85mm lens would be a good combination.
      02-25-2021, 07:28 PM   #12
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I'm pretty happy w/ the 24-105, but it wasn't much extra when I got my camera so I'd say it was worth it. If you've already got the 24-70 then I'd agree, no need to change.

16-35 is a fun lens too, and I find myself using it. 50 primes are good too, not much money and it makes you think about your shot and do "sneaker zoom". These cover what I need to do. I had a 70-300 once but never used it and sold it. Some of the macro's could be fun.

Kinda comes down to what you shoot. With the 17-55 you had, did you find yourself using up the range or not so much? Wishing you could go higher or lower or not so much?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 11:50 AM   #13
Vulpe
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
The 17-55 I did use the upper end a lot. I mostly use it for home/local use, when I went traveling I used a 18-135 of which I still used the upper end a lot. I like getting all the details of churchs and architecture. There were a handful of times I wished I had the faster aperture of the 17-55 on my last trip but I prefer having the range while traveling.

I'll keep the 24-70 as my home/local lens but while traveling I would use the 24-105. Smaller, lighter, and cheaper in case I damage/lose it.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 02:33 PM   #14
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

EOS R user here. I made the leap from a 5D mkII back in 2019. I haven't had a lot of time out w/ it because of work and then the 'rona. I've thought of moving to the R5 but not sure I want to make the investment since I'm more interested in the 'traditional' ergos of it. The R isnt bad, just different.

Overall, not a bad camera at all. The live view/preview is nice, as is the articulating screen. I still use the 5D depending on the situation, though.

I use the ring adapter so I can use all my EF glass. I have no plans to jump to R glass anytime soon. Aside from a little length, I think the ring adapter works great.
      03-05-2021, 09:26 PM   #15
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Let's see some sample images - i'm in the market fir new gear.... currently using D750... a tough camera to part with

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 02:51 PM   #16
PcarDefector
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT+PS+PE / X3 M40i Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
I bought an R that eventually replaced my 5DIV, and then picked up an R5 on launch day. I love the images, but frankly hate the form factor. The R5 feels a lot better with the battery grip (just as the R did), it’s just too small without it IMO.

I have a 1DX III as well, and I would kill for an R5 in that body. The substantially better build quality and ergonomics are just wonderful, but I don’t care for the hit to resolution compared to the R5 for stills.

The 1DX III has mostly transitioned to video only for me, as it can shoot all day long in 4K HEVC or 5.5K Cinema Raw Light without overheating. My C200 isn’t getting nearly as much use these days.
R3 is coming later this year.

I went the other way with Canon and downgraded from my 2 5DM3. It was sad watching Canon fall behind with their artificial segmentation of features and releasing inferior products. 6DM2 and EOS R have to be some of the worst cameras of all time. But I'm stuck with Canon given all the EF lens I have.

The recent R5/R6 releases are a step in the right direction but a little overpriced compared to the gen2 Z series. That said I'm a stills shooter so I don't need the video features.

Last edited by PcarDefector; 04-25-2021 at 02:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 03:23 AM   #17
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
EOS R was a disappointment to be sure, I got rid of mine shortly after my R5 arrived.

Frankly, if the R3 has the resolution of the R5, I'll happily dump the R5, pickup an R3 and have a fantastic pairing for my 1DX III.
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2021, 07:46 AM   #18
PcarDefector
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
EOS R was a disappointment to be sure, I got rid of mine shortly after my R5 arrived.

Frankly, if the R3 has the resolution of the R5, I'll happily dump the R5, pickup an R3 and have a fantastic pairing for my 1DX III.
Unfortunately, R3 is "only" 30MP compared to the 45MP of your R5.

I'm holding out for the R6M2 with >24MP. My current goto stills camera is the EOS RP. I skipped the 5DM4 (after having 2x 5DM2 and 2x 5DM3) and downgraded over the years debating whether to jump into the Nikon camp.

The EOS RP is actually not that bad as stills camera compared the the EOS R. Battery life, burst mode and limited dynamic range (esp blacks) are weaknesses of the RP but it's great value. I don't shoot professionally anymore so budget is somewhat an issue especially since I have to spend $3.5k on an LSD with install or the equivalent of a R5 on my E82.

Are you using the RF lens adapter; if so have you noticed any trader-offs or incompatibilities? Seems to work fine for me but I've seen comments that focusing speed is slower. I have some small incompatibilities with older Sigma lens but that's a limitation of Canon's mirrorless firmware.

Also I haven't been able to get any of Canon's Mirrorless cameras (R and RP) to work with Lightroom tethering. Have you tried on the R5?

Last edited by PcarDefector; 04-29-2021 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: Added question on RF adapter
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 11:48 AM   #19
zakhar18
Rep
Drives: BMW X5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcarDefector View Post
R3 is coming later this year.

I went the other way with Canon and downgraded from my 2 5DM3. It was sad watching Canon fall behind with their artificial segmentation of features and releasing inferior products. 6DM2 and EOS R have to be some of the worst cameras of all time. But I'm stuck with Canon given all the EF lens I have.

The recent R5/R6 releases are a step in the right direction but a little overpriced compared to the gen2 Z series. That said I'm a stills shooter so I don't need the video features.
For some reason, even I did not think that these were their worst cameras. I have a soap dish from the canon, such a thing ... you have to buy more expensive to have what you want, of course, but these are claims not to them, but to me more
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2021, 07:37 PM   #20
PcarDefector
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakhar18 View Post
For some reason, even I did not think that these were their worst cameras. I have a soap dish from the canon, such a thing ... you have to buy more expensive to have what you want, of course, but these are claims not to them, but to me more
So what do you think is the worse camera that Canon has made in the last decade?

I hate the way they cripple their cameras by segmenting features into consumer, pro/semi-pro and video lines.. Their arrogance and refusal to embrace mirrorless let Sony seize significant marketshare.

All my pro friends jumped ship onto Nikon and some later into Sony after the introduction of Canon's lame duck pro cameras, 5DMIV and 1DXMII. The only advantage I had over them was in workflow as I didn't have to transfer 300 45MP+ files when I stuck with smaller RAWs.

For now I use the lame duck Canon consumer FF DSLR and mirrorless for stills and Micro 4/3 for 4K video. My Panasonic G9 does double duty as a high burst rate stills camera except in low light conditions.

Still on the sidelines and thinking about jumping over to the Z6/7 II and reusing some of my L lens with a Fringer EF-NZ mount adapter.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 09:14 AM   #21
PcarDefector
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Here's a recap and analysis of R3 spec as of June.

https://www.cameralabs.com/canon-eos-r3-review/
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 10:20 AM   #22
PcarDefector
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:

In case you didn't see this, the R3 was announced today.

$6k and 24MP ; review link here

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.dpre...ial-review.amp
Appreciate 0