BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

09-02-2021, 09:08 PM   #1
rmnoonan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328I (July '12 ED)

Film on controls?

Can anyone tell me if these controls seem like they have the factory protective film on them still, or if there is some strange peeling going on? This is on a carvana car for sale right now. It really looks like there is a protective film on there that can be removed but i'm not sure, and given its age there shouldn't be! I apologize for the photo quality, I had to take the pic from my phone, Carvana doesn't present photos in downloadable format.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 11:28 PM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmnoonan View Post
Can anyone tell me if these controls seem like they have the factory protective film on them still, or if there is some strange peeling going on? This is on a carvana car for sale right now. It really looks like there is a protective film on there that can be removed but i'm not sure, and given its age there shouldn't be! I apologize for the photo quality, I had to take the pic from my phone, Carvana doesn't present photos in downloadable format.
There is no film. That is just scratches and weird delamination. One reason I would never buy from Carvana is their photo quality. They expect you to buy a car only from photos, but have some of the worst photos of any car place.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 11:30 PM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

And I can tell from the photo that this a pre-2016 car because 2016 and later has shiny black plastic around the buttons, not that weird dull stuff like I have.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 05:59 AM   #4
Doughnutlord
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 640D M Sport Gran Coupe

Garage List
If either of you would like to replace/upgrade the black plastic around the buttons this is easily achievable. I recently upgraded my radio buttons to ceramics and the black plastic is simply a fascia that the radio and climate controls screw onto with torx screws. In addition it's about a 5 min job to remove the stereo. All in all the whole job should take 15-20 mins

The second photo shows the post 2016 gloss fascia
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 08:59 AM   #5
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughnutlord View Post
If either of you would like to replace/upgrade the black plastic around the buttons this is easily achievable. I recently upgraded my radio buttons to ceramics and the black plastic is simply a fascia that the radio and climate controls screw onto with torx screws. In addition it's about a 5 min job to remove the stereo. All in all the whole job should take 15-20 mins

The second photo shows the post 2016 gloss fascia
But where did you get the gloss fascia? BMW does not show it as a separate part from the control unit I don't think.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 09:37 AM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

It's interesting what some people like and don't like. For instance, I prefer the earlier "dull" trim pieces because they produce less irritating reflection if the sun happens to be shinning on those trim pieces.

I had a loaner where I had to close the sunroof and put on my sunglasses just to get past the irritating glare reflecting off the shiny black trim around the center console. I remember thinking to myself...why would they use a shiny reflective surface in this area. But after the sun wasn't shining in that area of the car...it is "pretty".

But that experience made me appreciate the use of the less reflective black trim.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 11:28 AM   #7
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
It's interesting what some people like and don't like. For instance, I prefer the earlier "dull" trim pieces because they produce less irritating reflection if the sun happens to be shinning on those trim pieces.

I had a loaner where I had to close the sunroof and put on my sunglasses just to get past the irritating glare reflecting off the shiny black trim around the center console. I remember thinking to myself...why would they use a shiny reflective surface in this area. But after the sun wasn't shining in that area of the car...it is "pretty".

But that experience made me appreciate the use of the less reflective black trim.
It's not so much the dullness I mind as the fact that that particular piece is sort of translucent and has a non-uniform cloudy appearance. It almost looks as if it had been cleaned with an inappropriate chemical even though it hasn't been.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 02:22 PM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
It's not so much the dullness I mind as the fact that that particular piece is sort of translucent and has a non-uniform cloudy appearance.
Totally understandable. If mine looked anything like what the OP posted...I'd probably be looking for a replacement...shiny or dull!

It makes me wonder how did it get scratched like that? Did the PO have long fingernails or something? And the scratches are in multiple locations...so it's not like a specific area on the panel that they went to all the time.

I rarely touch that panel except for the #3 & #4 programmable buttons. Button #3 is programmed for split screen between NAV and Entertainment info...and #4 is programmed for split screen between NAV and OBC info. For VOL...I normally use the MLF buttons on the steering wheel...and the IHKA ...I'm AUTO user and just set it/forget it.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 04:48 PM   #9
Doughnutlord
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 640D M Sport Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
But where did you get the gloss fascia? BMW does not show it as a separate part from the control unit I don't think.
My car is a 2018 model so came from the factory with the gloss facia. In order to get ceramic controls I purchased a used pre lci (pre 2016) stereo / climate unit off eBay (cost £115) which had the Matt finish but had ceramic controls.

Swapped out the ceramic controls from the old unit and joined them with my existing motherboard and gloss facia. It is a pretty easy job and takes no time really

Once you've taken the unit out, turn it over and you'll see 2 blocks of electronics attached to the facia by torx screws. Unscrew them and swap the electronic blocks on the replacement facia that you bought.

If you only wanted to from Matt to gloss facia buy a used unit in good condition and do the swap
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 08:45 AM   #10
Wingman61
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 650Xi Convertible 2014

Protective film on panel

I'm sorry but I have the same issue and this definitively looks like protective film that is slowly peeling off. Yes, there are also scratches here and there but you can see around the perimeter of the panel and most buttons that there's something looking very much like an air gap. I just don't want to take the chance and ruin mine in case that's not really protective film. Has anyone ever tried peeling this off?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 09:22 AM   #11
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

There is no protective film. Some of them just start to delaminate near the edges or around holes. But even if it is a protective film you can't ruin it by trying to remove it. Protective films on products are not difficult to remove. If you can get your fingernail under an edge it will pull right off. But if you find yourself picking at it a few times and nothing starts to lift then you don't have a film. Spoiler alert: you don't.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 12:34 PM   #12
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428xi F32- X5 X5 G05 -640i F06

I have not tried this, but i'm planning to remove and apply a few coat of high quality gloss clearcoat. It should fill in any scratch and give a gloss look. I've did this awhile ago on my MDX, but only problem is, it does scratch easily, but held up pretty well.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 05:27 PM   #13
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream54ing View Post
I have not tried this, but i'm planning to remove and apply a few coat of high quality gloss clearcoat. It should fill in any scratch and give a gloss look. I've did this awhile ago on my MDX, but only problem is, it does scratch easily, but held up pretty well.
I personally had a different idea that I probably won't ever try because I have not yet. I was going to wet sand the surface with very fine grits (1,500, 2,000 and 2,500) and then polish with auto paint polish. That would get rid of scratches plus the micro-bumps that make the surface dull. I know I can make it flat and shiny, but I'm worried how it would look because it is sort of translucent.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 03:03 PM   #14
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428xi F32- X5 X5 G05 -640i F06

Quote:
I personally had a different idea that I probably won't ever try because I have not yet. I was going to wet sand the surface with very fine grits (1,500, 2,000 and 2,500) and then polish with auto paint polish. That would get rid of scratches plus the micro-bumps that make the surface dull. I know I can make it flat and shiny, but I'm worried how it would look because it is sort of translucent.
My initial thought was to sand as well, but i didn't fee i need to; mine is bump and scratch free. The clearcoat should fill it in any fine scratches, deeper might require sanding. Typically, we would want to sand down for better contact/durability with the clearcoat, but since the panel is matte, the clearcoat shouldn't have a problem adhering. I might have to test it before spraying the panel to make sure It will just be couple of thin coat to get the gloss look and durable enough to upheld wiping/cleaning.
Appreciate 0