BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

12-24-2021, 11:25 AM   #1
khanage786
Rep
Drives: BMW 640D GC M Sport

Exclamation Problems after retrofitting M6 Interior - HELP PLEASE

Hello everyone, I have recently acquired a lovely opal white full leather interior (dash, seats, etc etc) which came out of an LCI BMW M6 which I've fitted into my pre LCI 640D.

The problems I am having are;

- The memory function does not work at all
- After the car reaches optimal temperature I lose control of the fan speed settings and also the fan temperature settings
- After the car reaches optimal temperature, my heated seats feel like they're on setting 1 out of 3 of the heated seat switch.
- Restraint system errors (passenger and driver)
- The car does not unlock automatically when the ignition is switched off.

This has occurred since the installation of the new dashboard and seats.

Please help as I am so gutted about this

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 11:32 AM   #2
arucano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
Have you looked at the coding? the auto unlock is a coding option. Do you have access to the wiring diagrams? There might be some differences in the plug connections.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 01:42 PM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

I'm having a memory of somebody swapping seats not long ago and there were wiring harness issues. Do some searches in the forum.
Did you swap airbags? I assume so, but I also assume you had the battery disconnected.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 01:59 AM   #4
khanage786
Rep

I haven't yet looked at the coding - looking for someone selling the ethernet cable in order to proceed with doing so but given the time of year, nobody is at their phones lol.
I do have access to them but in all honesty I do not know how to read them for the life of me

I haven't swapped the airbags - did I need to? - yes I had the battery disconnected during the procedure.

Thank you

Merry Christmas people
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 08:44 AM   #5
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

No, you did not need to swap airbags, but I just assumed you swapped seat airbags since they are color matched to the seats. I didn't know if they are different somehow. What do you not know how to read - codes? At least in something like Bimmercode the option for door unlocking is very simple - it will say something in plain english like "Unlock doors when ignition shut off" and have yes/no choices. Other code readers will allow you to reset the air bag light, and if it comes back you know you have an an issue. The doors and airbags are probably your most minor issues. Bimmer code also allows you to increase the seat heating. Not sure if that's your issue or not. When you talk about fan and temp settings, are you talking about in the seats, or the whole climate system? If the latter, that is really weird.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 12:13 AM   #6
arucano
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
I have not tried the airbag error reset with BimmerLink yet (no opportunity or need) but it does appear to have the capability to do so provided the airbag is functional. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a different airbag will require coding to the VIN number. Almost all safety related units in a BMW are tied to the VIN
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 01:43 AM   #7
khanage786
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
No, you did not need to swap airbags, but I just assumed you swapped seat airbags since they are color matched to the seats. I didn't know if they are different somehow. What do you not know how to read - codes? At least in something like Bimmercode the option for door unlocking is very simple - it will say something in plain english like "Unlock doors when ignition shut off" and have yes/no choices. Other code readers will allow you to reset the air bag light, and if it comes back you know you have an an issue. The doors and airbags are probably your most minor issues. Bimmer code also allows you to increase the seat heating. Not sure if that's your issue or not. When you talk about fan and temp settings, are you talking about in the seats, or the whole climate system? If the latter, that is really weird.
Honestly it is very strange what is happening - we know it's all wired correctly behind the new dash as it all works correctly before the vehicle reaches optimal temperature - we didn't need to swap the airbags, the door unlocking was already working before this swap, we will try to reset/recode that today.

Fan and temperature settings - the whole climate system! - very very strange and again, only when the vehicle reaches optimal temp otherwise they work a treat too.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 01:45 AM   #8
khanage786
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arucano View Post
I have not tried the airbag error reset with BimmerLink yet (no opportunity or need) but it does appear to have the capability to do so provided the airbag is functional. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a different airbag will require coding to the VIN number. Almost all safety related units in a BMW are tied to the VIN

Interesting, this may well be the case, or it may even be the seatbelt pretensioners as the vehicle these seats came out of was involved in an accident and they had deployed but the airbags didn't (pretensioners are getting swapped out today but still don't have the hardware to reset codes).
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 10:19 AM   #9
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

I'm too lazy at the moment to read the airbag instructions, but I don't think an individual airbag requires coding. It's just the bag and the explosive cylinder. It doesn't have any "computer" that would allow it to "see" the car it's in.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 12:46 PM   #10
arucano
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
when my airbag on my e39 was replaced during the recall, it had to be coded to the car's VIN. My comment was based on that experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 10:02 AM   #11
khanage786
Rep

A little update - so the airbag issue was just a simple clear of the DTC via transmitter on esys.
But the biggest problem I currently have is that my memory seats functionality does not function at all and the upper switch near the headrest that moves the seat back and forth also does not function.

All the other issues were fixed by a simple problem behind the dash it self as one of the wiring looms going into the fan control panel were a little bit disturbed and not situated correctly which is now fixed woohoo!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 03:43 PM   #12
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

I can offer no help whatsoever but would love to see some photos of the finished conversion!

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 06:08 PM   #13
sananvet
Mindys6
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2014 F06

i own a 2014 F06 that i have retrofitted with updated interior. I have had a particular problem with the passenger seat control module. i have had repeated fuses blow and replaced with new control module from factory. no luck. the wiring in the seats and center console area seem particularly susceptible to trash, junk and fluids that spill on and around them causing shorts or poor connectivity. this is probably not much help. but maybe you could find a new control module that would resolve the issue or like me you might be facing completely rewiring the seat.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 12:04 PM   #14
ex46fanatic
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci F06 640i GC both LCI

I swapped my interior for comfort too in the GC - have some experience with it.

"But the biggest problem I currently have is that my memory seats functionality does not function at all and the upper switch near the headrest that moves the seat back and forth also does not function."

I read somewhere to fix the above we need to code the seats to the car. Like adding a new VO option on the older e series platform - I have not tackled this yet.

"i own a 2014 F06 that i have retrofitted with updated interior. I have had a particular problem with the passenger seat control module. i have had repeated fuses blow and replaced with new control module from factory. no luck. the wiring in the seats and center console area seem particularly susceptible to trash, junk and fluids that spill on and around them causing shorts or poor connectivity. this is probably not much help. but maybe you could find a new control module that would resolve the issue or like me you might be facing completely rewiring the seat."

I too had a similar issue to above - only I believe I damaged the wiring after repeatedly removing and reinstalling the seat. Ive lost power to the passenger seat apart from lumbar and heating is working. Will be rewiring the seat soon with a complete new loom (not looking forward to this). It seems the Ops seat wiring is fine as he has control apart from the memory buttons and forward back switch for rear passenger.

Good luck Op! Did you need to send power to pin 1 on the connector as well?

Last edited by ex46fanatic; 01-02-2022 at 10:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 05:55 AM   #15
khanage786
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex46fanatic View Post
I swapped my interior for comfort too in the GC - have some experience with it.

"But the biggest problem I currently have is that my memory seats functionality does not function at all and the upper switch near the headrest that moves the seat back and forth also does not function."

I read somewhere to fix the above we need to code the seats to the car. Like adding a new VO option on the older e series platform - I have not tackled this yet.

"i own a 2014 F06 that i have retrofitted with updated interior. I have had a particular problem with the passenger seat control module. i have had repeated fuses blow and replaced with new control module from factory. no luck. the wiring in the seats and center console area seem particularly susceptible to trash, junk and fluids that spill on and around them causing shorts or poor connectivity. this is probably not much help. but maybe you could find a new control module that would resolve the issue or like me you might be facing completely rewiring the seat."

I too had a similar issue to above - only I believe I damaged the wiring after repeatedly removing and reinstalling the seat. Ive lost power to the passenger seat apart from lumbar and heating is working. Will be rewiring the seat soon with a complete new loom (not looking forward to this). It seems the Ops seat wiring is fine as he has control apart from the memory buttons and forward back switch for rear passenger.

Good luck Op! Did you need to send power to pin 1 on the connector as well?

I did see your post on the retrofit but as your vehicle was already an LCi you had to add the power to pin 1 - for some strange reason - having had installed the interior on my pre LCi vehicle it did not need this and instantly powered everything minus the seat adjuster (top button) and memory seats functionality.

I did look into the coding and added the comfort and M multi function seat option - still no joy
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 05:58 AM   #16
khanage786
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani59 View Post
I can offer no help whatsoever but would love to see some photos of the finished conversion!
Will upload some photo's today
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 08:37 PM   #17
ex46fanatic
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci F06 640i GC both LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanage786 View Post
I did see your post on the retrofit but as your vehicle was already an LCi you had to add the power to pin 1 - for some strange reason - having had installed the interior on my pre LCi vehicle it did not need this and instantly powered everything minus the seat adjuster (top button) and memory seats functionality.

I did look into the coding and added the comfort and M multi function seat option - still no joy
Have you coded the seat modules to the car? Ista not showing any errors?
Appreciate 0