BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

08-26-2019, 06:02 PM   #1
VK_Technician
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 18 BMW M550IX

Wanting to trade my 650ix GC, change my mind...

Hey all,

I dont post very much on the forums but this is a topic I need input on. I've owned my '14 650ix GC for going on 11 months now and its been quite an experience. To date it is the most beautiful car I have ever owned. Having owned only black cars for the last 13 years, this car in Alpine White its striking from every angle and was a breath of fresh air. Since I've owned it, it has been very reliable to be a BMW, and trust me I did my research before I decided to buy. But now having owned it for a while the quirks have become more and more noticeable, and almost unbearable. The N63TU in my car is solid. Its stock and the only mod I've done to it was remove the charcoal air filters. The gas mileage is decent considering how big and heavy it is. It does consume oil, but its not as bad as Nissan's oil consumption, and I can deal with it. But since I'd had it the main 2 issue's I've had is with the drivetrain and the seat comfort. As it sits I'm right at 87k miles, and I have realised that this car has the "1500-2000rpm vibration issue" that many threads have touched on. Its so noticeable to the point where I cant stand it anymore. The only way I can get around this issue is to put it in sport+ which keeps the rpms in between 2200-2500 rpm in any given gear. I was 3hrs into a roadtrip and had to use this method to keep my sanity. I havent even bothered taking it to BMW because I already know this will be dismissed as "Normal Operation". But the second biggest complaint I have with this car are the "Sport Seats". It has the M-Sport package with the ventilated/massaging seat option. They have no cushioning at all. After 2-3hrs of driving I have to pull over and stretch because of the seat discomfort. If I use the massage function, it will prolong the discomfort but only for a short while. Those are my only 2 biggest gripes about this car. I've considered keeping it and just figure out ways to improve it whether thru an upholstery shop or transmission replacement, but I'm also considering just washing my hands of it and buying a newer 650ix or possibly a M550ix or another performance oriented AWD luxury sedan. So I guess I'm asking if anyone feels the same way I do who owns or used to own a 650ix. If anyone has some fixes or suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it. I don't want to trade this car as it has so much potential, someone change my mind....
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 06:40 PM   #2
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Can't help you with the vibration issue, but I can with the seat issue. $20 fix...get an awesome seat cushion, seriously. That's the only thing I have found that helps the seat cushioning issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 05:38 AM   #3
BM dnobagaV
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
Can't help you with the vibration issue, but I can with the seat issue. $20 fix...get an awesome seat cushion, seriously. That's the only thing I have found that helps the seat cushioning issue.
I might try this in my CLS. The seats are unbearable.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 08:37 AM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VK_Technician View Post
... since I'd had it the main 2 issue's I've had is with the drivetrain and the seat comfort. As it sits I'm right at 87k miles, and I have realised that this car has the "1500-2000rpm vibration issue" that many threads have touched on. Its so noticeable to the point where I cant stand it anymore. The only way I can get around this issue is to put it in sport+ which keeps the rpms in between 2200-2500 rpm in any given gear. I was 3hrs into a roadtrip and had to use this method to keep my sanity. I havent even bothered taking it to BMW because I already know this will be dismissed as "Normal Operation". ...
In regards to the vibration...check out the following link (to another forum). The OP described his vibration issue and found out that it was his #8 cylinder misfiring. Perhaps this might be your issue (may not be the #8 cylinder...but could be one of the others): https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...3#post13076783

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 08-27-2019 at 02:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 11:52 AM   #5
VK_Technician
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
In regards to the vibration...check out the following link (to another forum). The OP described his vibration issue and found out that it was his #8 cylinder misfiring. Perhaps this might be your issue (may not be the 38 cylinder...but could be one of the others): https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...3#post13076783
A misfire could cause this? It's not throwing a check engine and when I bought it the dealership had replaced the coils and plugs. Wow, I'll look into it. As far as the seats, yeah I'm still aggravated by this. I was even researching if 5 series or 6 series non-sport seats could be swapped in and coded. I'm looking at seat cushions as an alternative but I know they will be an eye sore.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 12:02 PM   #6
SpooldYou
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 650 XI Gran Coupe

Your vibration issue due to a drive shaft shaft bearing that does go bad around your mileage, depending on driving habits,

It's about 75 bucks for the bearing 2 hours of install.

That's my guess
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 12:51 PM   #7
Roccaas
Mid life crisis
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i Convertible F12

Garage List
Also, if it’s not the drive shaft bearing, have a machine shop check the balance of the shaft.

I ran thru everything trying to smooth out my 63 Impala's cruise speed; turns out the shaft was out of balance, easy fix.

I have serious seat problems with almost every car I’ve owned (bad hip), however I’d move my Shark's seat to any other car if I could. Amazing comfort, I’d pay extra for any AC seat living in the South, and the adjustments are useful.

The butt kneader was tough to get used to, but I can now go 4 hours straight if I need to.

I will get my car up on a high speed “on car” balancer the next time in ATL. I’ve picked up a vibration felt in the steering when I added wheel spacers.
      08-27-2019, 09:56 PM   #8
VK_Technician
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooldYou View Post
Your vibration issue due to a drive shaft shaft bearing that does go bad around your mileage, depending on driving habits,

It's about 75 bucks for the bearing 2 hours of install.

That's my guess
I was seriously hoping it would be something this simple I'll definitely see if this can be diagnosed.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 10:18 AM   #9
VK_Technician
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well I was sitting in the car the other night and was letting the car idle. I raised the rpms up to 1k-1.4k and it was smooth, but when I raised it to around 1.5k-2.2k I noticed there was a slight vibration. Once I raised the rpms above 2.2k it all smoothed back out. With this very slight vibration with the car in neutral and under no load, I can imagine that under load the vibration is enhanced and more noticeable. Which now leads me to believe what was stated in the 550i forums about this being a torque converter issue also in conjunction with a slightly bent wheel (even if properly balanced).
Appreciate 0