BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

08-10-2019, 12:50 PM   #1
Pano6
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i

Question Retrofit Ceramic iDrive Controller Adapter Requirements

I'm planning to install a Ceramic iDrive Controller to my CIC system (2013 F06). I was told in some circumstances it can be plug and play, whilst in others there is a need for an adapter.

Of course I know none of these will give the handwriting feature, but I don't care. I only want it for the look of the dial as it's much nicer.

The person I'm buying from will give me the adapters for free as long as I can tell him which ones I need.

Does anyone on this forum have experience with this and know what it could be?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 01:29 PM   #2
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
On cars with CIC the controller (which BMW calls the ZBE) is connected to the K_CAN bus whereas with NBT it moved it to the K_CAN2 bus. Assuming you are talking about retrofitting the larger controller from an NBT system then all the adapter does is convert the controller output signal from K_CAN2 to K_CAN1.

Last edited by hugo_nz; 08-10-2019 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 02:54 PM   #3
Pano6
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
On cars with CIC the controller (which BMW calls the ZBE) is connected to the K_CAN bus whereas with NBT it moved it to the K_CAN2 bus. Assuming you are talking about retrofitting the larger controller from an NBT system then all the adapter does is convert the controller output signal from K_CAN2 to K_CAN1.
Thank you man! When I saw your name in the reply I figured you'd know your stuff having seen the NBT retrofit you already did

So you're right, I'm talking about retrofitting the larger controller (a Ceramic iDrive Controller which was only released with the NBT) to a CIC system.

Does the adapter have a name? Or I just need to say I need an adapter to convert the controller output signal from K_CAN2 to K_CAN1?

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 03:03 PM   #4
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano6 View Post
Thank you man! When I saw your name in the reply I figured you'd know your stuff having seen the NBT retrofit you already did

So you're right, I'm talking about retrofitting the larger controller (a Ceramic iDrive Controller which was only released with the NBT) to a CIC system.

Does the adapter have a name? Or I just need to say I need an adapter to convert the controller output signal from K_CAN2 to K_CAN1?

Thanks again!
No problem. There's no name that I am aware of, but the seller should know which adapter to supply with the controller :-)
Appreciate 0