BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      07-25-2019, 09:28 PM   #1
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

The Dark Side?

I rode in a Tesla S yesterday and when the driver hit the pedal I was floored! I have never experienced acceleration that hard and I’ve had a lot of fast cars and some even faster motorcycles. I am scheduled to test drive one tomorrow. I just wish it was sexy. When I looked at my GC after almost being seduced by the Tesla, I was reminded how gorgeous the BMW is, and how un-sexy the Tesla is. We’ll see how I feel after I drive it, but the design doesn’t move me, doesn’t raise my heart rate like the head cheerleader did in high school. The BMW does. I don’t know if I want to trade down to the plain Jane when I’ve got the head cheerleader at home.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 10:07 PM   #2
irishbimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: Silverstone M6 CP, Bulldozer,

Sounds fun-let us know how it turns out. No way am I ready to turn in my M6 with the great sound and overall performance, but you may be.
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2019, 10:44 PM   #3
doggboy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

I would never own a Tesla, they have no soul. Sure, they accelerate hard, but handle for poop, look worse than poop, have low top speed, mediocre range, and are generally driven by self important d-bags who know nothing about cars.

A Tesla is like a really ugly chick that gives the best bj ever. Yeah it does that one thing really well, but everything else about it makes you wish it would jusy go away. To each his own though.
Appreciate 4
Frupal788.50
jjasonSU194.00
Jenya B144.00
      07-26-2019, 07:02 AM   #4
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

No way I would choose a car simply because it had great straight line acceleration. How often are you really going to use that? Meanwhile you are riding around in a car with an interior with all the charm of a prison cell and a front end that looks like a turtle trying to whistle.
Appreciate 1
Frupal788.50
      07-26-2019, 08:15 AM   #5
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
No way I would choose a car simply because it had great straight line acceleration. How often are you really going to use that? Meanwhile you are riding around in a car with an interior with all the charm of a prison cell and a front end that looks like a turtle trying to whistle.
Lol!!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 08:18 AM   #6
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggboy View Post
I would never own a Tesla, they have no soul. Sure, they accelerate hard, but handle for poop, look worse than poop, have low top speed, mediocre range, and are generally driven by self important d-bags who know nothing about cars.

A Tesla is like a really ugly chick that gives the best bj ever. Yeah it does that one thing really well, but everything else about it makes you wish it would jusy go away. To each his own though.
I’d say there’s a 3% chance I would switch to the Tesla. I just love the look - and feel - of my GC too much to trade down. But I’ll give it a drive.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 06:21 PM   #7
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Drove it and Loved it!

Well I drove the Ludicrous S (Dual Motor) and it was INCREDIBLE! It was so fast that I could not believe it. I think I scared the salesman a little when I broke all four tires loose a couple of times sprinting to 60 or 70 in Beverly Hills. I loved the way it drove and all of its technical wizardry (the damned thing drives itself! Really!) But in the end it just isn’t sexy. After the test drive, my two friends and I drove to Malibu for a cup of coffee in the 640 GC and it was blissful, satisfying, and fun - if a little less thrilling. I would miss an engine and transmission. The Tesla was AMAZING but somehow sterile. It was like driving an iPad, if that makes sense. So I am not going to give up my beautiful and sexy BMW. In the end, its really important to me what a car looks like. And the BMW is fast enough for just about all of my needs. Besides, I’ve got like a dozen BMW hats.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 08:10 PM   #8
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

What I dislike is how the torque falls off so rapidly after ~50mph. In any normal car pulling up from low rpm in a gear the car build ins performance through each gear and gets more exciting. Whereas the Tesla's just drop off in a different manner and I really found that quite disappointing. Dyno below showing what I'm referring to.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/tes...e-torque-video
      07-26-2019, 08:53 PM   #9
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

If you drive to enjoy the ride, Tesla is not your car.

Yes, it is like driving an iPad or playing the piano on an iPad vs a real Grand Piano. Or getting calories via an IV vs eating real food. Many things are efficient, but not pleasurable.
Appreciate 2
      07-26-2019, 09:01 PM   #10
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

If:

(a) Tesla doesn't go bankrupt in the next 5 years, and

(b) The company becomes a LOT less "self important" in tone and character, and

(c) They actually produce it...

I'd actually consider buying the new Roadster as a weekend car. However, I refuse to give them $50k for a deposit for a car that I can't yet see, from a company that may or may not exist, and all while feeling like I just joined a cult.

I'll be the first to admit, I love engine and exhaust noises, so even saying this is a big change of heart from a few years ago where I wouldn't even consider it. But that said, I have a NA V10 in the garage that's not going anywhere (ever), so I can hang on to the past where and when I want it... but electric is certainly going to be the future, so we'll need to eventually embrace it.

That said, I couldn't and wouldn't do it with a Model S (or 3). As others have said, they're sterile. Plus, the interiors are horrendous - worse than the exteriors. I don't want a giant tablet. It's annoying, not safe, or convenient to use in motion. I appreciate all of the wiz-bang stuff it does, but they can do that in a more user-friendly and less obnoxious manner.

I'm less concerned with speed these days, though, too. While I appreciate how fast an electric car can be, it's just to the point where MOST high end cars are getting too fast. They're no longer usable or fun. Unless you have truly deserted roads at your disposal, you can't ring them out... and even then it's too much. Most high end sports cars need tracks to exercise now because they'll kill you on the street. Do I need that in my DD now? No.

My priorities for my DD have now heavily shifted towards comfort, luxury, technology, and relative speed (I don't want it to be a slouch, but I'm not taking it racing). I think the Tesla has the speed (straight line) down, but it weighs as much as an SUV (making the GC look light), and it's far from the luxury you should get for the price. All of that cost is going into the exotic drivetrain.

But Tesla aside, the real problem for me with electric cars, in general, is still the general usability isn't there yet. I need to be able to charge the car in a few minutes - as quickly as I can fill a tank of gas. I need that capability around every corner, as convenient as finding a gas station. I like parking outside (especially in the summer), so I don't want to be dragging cords into my driveway. I may drive 300 - 400 miles in a day trip. I don't want range anxiety, so the ranges need to be be considerably higher. And until those things are addressed, I just feel as if I'm taking a big step backwards in daily convenience. Needing to drape cords around, searching for a place to plug-in, waiting 30 - 45 minutes to charge up (even at a "super" charger), wondering if I have enough charge to get where I'm going... none of that is progress in my book.

I'll let others be the early adopters here and wait for the technology to vastly improve before I jump in.
Appreciate 2
Frupal788.50
Derekz4169.00
      07-27-2019, 08:36 AM   #11
BDO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 40d M-sport

I think the S is quite a good looking car. Not in the same level as a 6, but not bad at all.

I'd own a Tesla Model S in a heartbeat if it was available where I live currently.
Appreciate 1
Frupal788.50
      07-27-2019, 08:50 AM   #12
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
If:

(a) Tesla doesn't go bankrupt in the next 5 years, and

(b) The company becomes a LOT less "self important" in tone and character, and

(c) They actually produce it...

I'd actually consider buying the new Roadster as a weekend car. However, I refuse to give them $50k for a deposit for a car that I can't yet see, from a company that may or may not exist, and all while feeling like I just joined a cult.

I'll be the first to admit, I love engine and exhaust noises, so even saying this is a big change of heart from a few years ago where I wouldn't even consider it. But that said, I have a NA V10 in the garage that's not going anywhere (ever), so I can hang on to the past where and when I want it... but electric is certainly going to be the future, so we'll need to eventually embrace it.

That said, I couldn't and wouldn't do it with a Model S (or 3). As others have said, they're sterile. Plus, the interiors are horrendous - worse than the exteriors. I don't want a giant tablet. It's annoying, not safe, or convenient to use in motion. I appreciate all of the wiz-bang stuff it does, but they can do that in a more user-friendly and less obnoxious manner.

I'm less concerned with speed these days, though, too. While I appreciate how fast an electric car can be, it's just to the point where MOST high end cars are getting too fast. They're no longer usable or fun. Unless you have truly deserted roads at your disposal, you can't ring them out... and even then it's too much. Most high end sports cars need tracks to exercise now because they'll kill you on the street. Do I need that in my DD now? No.

My priorities for my DD have now heavily shifted towards comfort, luxury, technology, and relative speed (I don't want it to be a slouch, but I'm not taking it racing). I think the Tesla has the speed (straight line) down, but it weighs as much as an SUV (making the GC look light), and it's far from the luxury you should get for the price. All of that cost is going into the exotic drivetrain.

But Tesla aside, the real problem for me with electric cars, in general, is still the general usability isn't there yet. I need to be able to charge the car in a few minutes - as quickly as I can fill a tank of gas. I need that capability around every corner, as convenient as finding a gas station. I like parking outside (especially in the summer), so I don't want to be dragging cords into my driveway. I may drive 300 - 400 miles in a day trip. I don't want range anxiety, so the ranges need to be be considerably higher. And until those things are addressed, I just feel as if I'm taking a big step backwards in daily convenience. Needing to drape cords around, searching for a place to plug-in, waiting 30 - 45 minutes to charge up (even at a "super" charger), wondering if I have enough charge to get where I'm going... none of that is progress in my book.

I'll let others be the early adopters here and wait for the technology to vastly improve before I jump in.
As usual, well thought and well said! Have a great weekend!
Appreciate 1
ezmaass370.00
      08-01-2019, 05:40 PM   #13
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Every time I see a Tesla now, I think about that Turtle trying to whistle. Lol!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 08:39 PM   #14
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

I was also impressed with Tesla Model S straight line acceleration. After spending 30 minutes in the vehicle, so many other things reminded me that there is much more to the car than electric motors. At the end of the test drive, the acceleration experience faded quickly into the past.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 07:22 AM   #15
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDO View Post
I'd own a Tesla Model S in a heartbeat if it was available where I live currently.
Curious, where is Tesla not available? Are you in the US or another country?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 06:40 PM   #16
chefshoey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 650 convertible

best car I have ever owned the model x 2018 with now 16500 miles and no service or gas and amazing acceleration. My 2013 650 1 month in service so far for overheating. You will love your test drive !
Appreciate 0