BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

07-30-2019, 12:14 PM   #23
Black Sunshine
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 F23

Garage List
2015 F23  [0.00]
I had the chance last week to drive both the M2C and the X3MC during the event, the M5 was at another event. Comparing the M2C to my 235i with some very minor mods. The power in the M2C is definitely higher in the rpm range but great once the boost built up. I was most impressed by the handling though. It was very smooth through corners on the route. Best way to put is confidence inspiring and a very easy car to drive fast without trying. Other than the seats being snug ( I'm a bit husky lol) it could very easily be a daily driver. For reference I drive about 50 miles each way to work.
I was most shocked by the X3MC as it totally blew me away. I saw someone else mention no torque down low, but that was not my experience in it. It is now on the top of my list for a replacement to my daily driver and also will be having the wife drive one when her lease is up on her suv.
I had both vehicles in full sport+ modes and switched between the auto and the paddle shifters.
Local dealer also had a 330x drive setup with a make shift track where you could test the emergency handling aspects.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 09:51 AM   #24
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Roundel View Post
...but it's really for those interested in high performance driving.
That would be me! However, I want my cake and I want to eat it too. I don't want to wait until 3k RPMs before something happens. The on/off nature of these motors (speaking to the S55 at least) leaves something to be desired. If this was a naturally-aspirated motor and I simply had to wait until ~3k RPMs for torque to develop naturally, that is one thing, but in a modern turbo-charged engine, it just feels unnatural and unpredictable when nothing is happening below a certain RPM and then all of a sudden you have gobs of torque hitting you like a freight train. If only BMW could find a way to take the benefits of a twin-scroll single turbo (i.e. more NA-like power delivery) and still make big power for the full "M" experience, that would seem to me like the best of both worlds. Oh, and I want it to sound good, too! Maybe I'm just asking for too much...
      07-31-2019, 12:02 PM   #25
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
M5 then...?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 12:36 PM   #26
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Just signed up for the M5 one in Seattle
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 09:47 AM   #27
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT

Garage List
on friday, i attended the M Town tour event at passport BMW outside of DC. i drove the M2C, M340, and X3MC...in that order. my crib notes:
- M2C: i could EASILY daily drive this car. i'm not sure why there's so much flack about the harsh ride. i put all the settings on the highest sport levels and then took the car off course for a quick spin on the DC beltway...expansion joints and all of its horrible glory. yes, it's much stiffer than my 228 in comfort mode, but wasnt 'horrible' by any definition. for reference, i'm in my late 40s with a bad back. i was duly admonished for taking the car off course, but was allowed to drive two more cars.

- M340: the power is pretty sweet and the ride nicely taut in sport mode. i didnt get this car onto the beltway to compare to the M2C but there was enough crappy road sections on their mapped course that i could tell this car would do right nicely as a daily, and give plenty of smiles during spirited back-road sessions. the biggest turn-off was the squirrely steering in sport mode...just way too jittery...and i have generally been someone who has not been as turned off as most by BMW's e-steering.

- X3MC: really fun...i almost thought about a beltway detour for this one, but decided to play nice so i wouldnt get banned from future events. the back half of the road course had a fairly straight, slightly uphill 1/2-mile section with a good sight line...so i came to stop at the bottom of that rise and then got on it goooood. i found plenty of oomph for my liking.

i'm really feeling like an M2C is in my future...probably 2/3 years from now though.

my garage: '23 G05 xDrive40i m-sport; '21 F87 M2C, 6MT; '17 F25 x-drive28i SAV; '15 F55 mini hatch 5-door
retired: '87 E30 MT 'vert; '92 E36 sedan; '99 E36 MT 'vert; '06 E90 x-drive sedan; '07 E83 x-drive30 SAV; '09 E91 x-drive wagon; '12 E89 Z4 MT M-sport; '15 F22 sport line
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      08-12-2019, 11:06 PM   #28
EstorilM240
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
It is not a venue. They pre-program a route in GPS that takes you on a big loop nearby the dealership.

Also, my feedback is on the M5 Competition and not the regular M5. It was anything but underwhelming for me, except for maybe the exhaust noise levels. I'm sure this is done on purpose as anyone buying this car will still be using it on their daily commute and most people would not "fit in" with an obnoxiously loud exhaust.
How was the experience compared to an ordinary test drive? I also really want to drive the M2 Competition as well, currently having a M240i, but all the slots nearby are 100% full or waitlist, and it may be better to overlap it with a lease end inspection or service. I'm thinking of testing my luck with a separately scheduled test drive, but there appears to be only one dealer with M2C 6MT in stock, so coin flip there.

Also, I think this the true reason for the Ultimate Driving Event having tons of empty spots (alluded to in another thread), people would rather drive an M5C or M3C or M850 on the street than a more ordindary BMW on an autocross course.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 02:20 AM   #29
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

FYI, the M Town reps work for a third party marketing company so they may not be as knowledgeable as you'd expect. YMMV.

OP, I have a 991.2 TTS so I can confirm you've been PDK spoiled. I test drove the M340, M5C, X3MC, and M850.

M340, interior is cheap feeling. Horrible turbo lag. From a standstill. Decent daily, but not for its price tag.

X3MC, fast and elegant, but handling wasn't anywhere near as good as my previous X5M. Great speed and options (even tho vent seats didn't work but made a loud noise), but handling and exterior design is lacking.

M5C, great car, extremely comfortable, plenty of power, but the ZF takes away from the Motorsport heritage in M cars. You definitely notice immediately it is NOT a DCT.

M850, it is what it seems.

My M2C is phenomenal. DCT works great, albeit not as good as PDK, but that's not a fair comparison. Same goes for my M3CS. You probably had the wrong settings or the ECU learned someone else's driving habits because I'd rate the M DCT right under the PDK.

Handling, none will handle like a 911 because they aren't meant to. But, When loading groceries or etc in the Frunk of my TTS, I have to play Tetris every time. In my M2C or M3CS, I just throw the stuff in the trunk and go; for example.

TL;DR: a lot of potential but still fall short in areas M cars shouldn't.
      08-13-2019, 07:57 AM   #30
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EstorilM240 View Post
How was the experience compared to an ordinary test drive? I also really want to drive the M2 Competition as well, currently having a M240i, but all the slots nearby are 100% full or waitlist, and it may be better to overlap it with a lease end inspection or service. I'm thinking of testing my luck with a separately scheduled test drive, but there appears to be only one dealer with M2C 6MT in stock, so coin flip there.

Also, I think this the true reason for the Ultimate Driving Event having tons of empty spots (alluded to in another thread), people would rather drive an M5C or M3C or M850 on the street than a more ordinary BMW on an autocross course.
at least at the event i attended, the marketing crew told me that their normal "show rate" for appointments was only 50%. if you want to drive any of these cars, then sign up for the waitlist, and then just go mid-day. i'm pretty sure you will get to drive anything you want. i was at the dealership for about an hour, drove three cars, and at any given time there were 3 cars sitting idle...just waiting for a driver that never showed.

the course they set up outside DC was pretty short...maybe 5 miles total...and there really was only one short run...less than 1/2-mile long to let the cars stretch their legs. maybe you'll get lucky with a better / longer course.

my garage: '23 G05 xDrive40i m-sport; '21 F87 M2C, 6MT; '17 F25 x-drive28i SAV; '15 F55 mini hatch 5-door
retired: '87 E30 MT 'vert; '92 E36 sedan; '99 E36 MT 'vert; '06 E90 x-drive sedan; '07 E83 x-drive30 SAV; '09 E91 x-drive wagon; '12 E89 Z4 MT M-sport; '15 F22 sport line
Appreciate 0