BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      08-07-2019, 02:36 PM   #1
Newimage
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
33
Posts

Drives: Bmw m6
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: 23322

iTrader: (0)

Steering light on dash

Over the past few weeks I've been getting a steering warning light and the wheel will get real tight. It is inconsistent however it is not going away. Help a brother out!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 09:09 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major
Qsilver7's Avatar
United_States
476
Rep
1,020
Posts

Drives: F06 650ix GC / E53 X5 4.4
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Indiana, USA

iTrader: (0)

Have you done any of the simple things first...like check the power steering fluid level? And do you have any upgraded steering options like IAS (integral active steering) where the rear wheels can turn along with the front wheels?
__________________
2006 E53 X5 4.4 | 2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe`
BMW CCA Member #191509
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 09:10 AM   #3
SixPost
Enlisted Member
9
Rep
47
Posts

Drives: 2015 650i Xdrive Alpine White
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Parts Unknown

iTrader: (0)

Had the same issue a few years back. Same intermittent light and loss of power steering. Turned out to be a bad trunk seal allowing water into the part of the trunk nearest the tail lights.... The module that controls some of the power steering functions is on the back wall of the trunk very near where the license plate is mounted... Mine had corroded electrical connections from moisture being present for quite a long term... The module and electrical connections were replaced, and having the trunk seal corrected has prevented the problem from returning... Hope that helps!
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace3646.50

      08-08-2019, 05:03 PM   #4
Newimage
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
33
Posts

Drives: Bmw m6
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: 23322

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Have you done any of the simple things first...like check the power steering fluid level? And do you have any upgraded steering options like IAS (integral active steering) where the rear wheels can turn along with the front wheels?
Going to sound pretty stupid but for the life of me I cannot find the power steering reservoir?? Somebody told me it may have electric assist steering?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 05:04 PM   #5
Newimage
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
33
Posts

Drives: Bmw m6
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: 23322

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixPost View Post
Had the same issue a few years back. Same intermittent light and loss of power steering. Turned out to be a bad trunk seal allowing water into the part of the trunk nearest the tail lights.... The module that controls some of the power steering functions is on the back wall of the trunk very near where the license plate is mounted... Mine had corroded electrical connections from moisture being present for quite a long term... The module and electrical connections were replaced, and having the trunk seal corrected has prevented the problem from returning... Hope that helps!
Man this can totally make sense.... Few weeks ago before the started happening I had a cooler of ice in the trunk and it spilled over... Now I'm wondering if something would stamick with the water
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 03:32 PM   #6
Qsilver7
Major
Qsilver7's Avatar
United_States
476
Rep
1,020
Posts

Drives: F06 650ix GC / E53 X5 4.4
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Indiana, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newimage View Post
Going to sound pretty stupid but for the life of me I cannot find the power steering reservoir?? Somebody told me it may have electric assist steering?
Check your owners manual to see if they have a layout of the engine bay with some of the fluid reservoirs indicated.

You may also want to look for a lid that has CHF 11 S written on the label as the type of fluid to use (many high performance BMWs use Pentosin CHF 11 S hydraulic fluid).

Below is some info from the online TIS website...taken from this page using an f13 M6 coupe (not sure which of the three M6 models you have): https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ring4/EEpdEE0c
Attached Images
 
__________________
2006 E53 X5 4.4 | 2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe`
BMW CCA Member #191509
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 03:50 PM   #7
Newimage
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
33
Posts

Drives: Bmw m6
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: 23322

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Check your owners manual to see if they have a layout of the engine bay with some of the fluid reservoirs indicated.

You may also want to look for a lid that has CHF 11 S written on the label as the type of fluid to use (many high performance BMWs use Pentosin CHF 11 S hydraulic fluid).

Below is some info from the online TIS website...taken from this page using an f13 M6 coupe (not sure which of the three M6 models you have): https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ring4/EEpdEE0c
I really appreciate the info... I think some of the electrical components got wet when a cooler spilled in the trunk
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 04:18 PM   #8
Qsilver7
Major
Qsilver7's Avatar
United_States
476
Rep
1,020
Posts

Drives: F06 650ix GC / E53 X5 4.4
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Indiana, USA

iTrader: (0)

__________________
2006 E53 X5 4.4 | 2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe`
BMW CCA Member #191509
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 PM.




6post.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST