BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

07-30-2020, 01:45 PM   #1
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Clay Bar

So After all of that waxing with the awesome Zymol Carbon, I still wasn’t satisfied. So I decided to start fresh, that perhaps there was just too much product on my car.

1. Washed twice with Chemical Guys Clean Slate.

2. Went over the whole effin car, including the glass (it’s huge) with a Mother’s Clay Bar, Lubed up with Meguiar’s final touch detail spray.

3. Applied Zymol Carbon wax with my hands (fun!). Went through six micro fiber towels removing the residue. Six!

She looks amazing. I’ve never seen it like this. I highly recommend the clay bar. It also made a HUGE difference on the glass. This was the first time I’d ever used one and I learned rather quickly that you really have to keep it well-lubed, or it will leave marks that are quite difficult to remove. Aside from that, it was a breeze. Here’s a pic. What looks like a dent in the rear bumper is a reflection of a car parked across the street. If this thing gets any shinier, it’ll be invisible!
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
      07-30-2020, 02:10 PM   #2
Luftpost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 650 GC, E39’s, X70, X1

This is on my list of things to do. I already have the Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Quick Clay kit with detailer spray you mention. I am waiting on Nexgen ceramic spray to arrive, before I start the whole procedure.

Frupal, your car is looking good!

L
Appreciate 1
Frupal788.50
      07-30-2020, 06:07 PM   #3
itzjoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 650i Gran Coupe

We need better close up pics to show that paint!!
Appreciate 1
Frupal788.50
      07-30-2020, 06:29 PM   #4
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive - M Sport Plus

Looking good there!

I recently used a synthetic clay mitt instead of a clay bar. Good for use a few times, just rinse and let it dry - then its good to be used again.
Attached Images

G30 540i xDrive / Stage 3 via BM3 / xHP Stage 3 / Pure 800 Cast Turbo / 5" Catted Downpipe / MST Intake / Remus Exhaust / MSS Springs / 19" JR SL01 & Conti SC7 / 20" BBS CI-R & Michelin PS4S / F90 Sway Bars & Braces / Lots of Gloss Black
Appreciate 2
MMMM6GC275.00
Frupal788.50
      07-31-2020, 12:43 AM   #5
BMPOWERED
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 650 GC M sport

Looking good and I'm sure the pic doesn't even do it justice. I've been bitten by the detail bug also since the whole Covid thing. I went a bit different route and used the new Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic line. It consisted of: 1) Ceramic Black Polish 2) Ceramic Spray Coating 3) Ceramic Black Wax

On a side note, my wife's car was in need of surface treatment but instead of a clay bar (which is dead if you drop it once), I used a clay mitt which was extremely easy and effective. Anyway, here were my results with the TW line:
Attached Images

2007 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 (sold)
2001 BMW 325ci (sold)
Appreciate 1
Frupal788.50
      07-31-2020, 09:20 AM   #6
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMPOWERED View Post
Looking good and I'm sure the pic doesn't even do it justice. I've been bitten by the detail bug also since the whole Covid thing. I went a bit different route and used the new Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic line. It consisted of: 1) Ceramic Black Polish 2) Ceramic Spray Coating 3) Ceramic Black Wax

On a side note, my wife's car was in need of surface treatment but instead of a clay bar (which is dead if you drop it once), I used a clay mitt which was extremely easy and effective. Anyway, here were my results with the TW line:
Looks amazing!!
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2020, 09:29 AM   #7
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frupal View Post
So After all of that waxing with the awesome Zymol Carbon, I still wasn’t satisfied. So I decided to start fresh, that perhaps there was just too much product on my car.

2. Went over the whole effin car, including the glass (it’s huge) with a Mother’s Clay Bar, Lubed up with Meguiar’s final touch detail spray.

3. Applied Zymol Carbon wax with my hands (fun!). Went through six micro fiber towels removing the residue. Six!

She looks amazing. I’ve never seen it like this. I highly recommend the clay bar. It also made a HUGE difference on the glass. This was the first time I’d ever used one and I learned rather quickly that you really have to keep it well-lubed, or it will leave marks that are quite difficult to remove. Aside from that, it was a breeze. Here’s a pic. What looks like a dent in the rear bumper is a reflection of a car parked across the street. If this thing gets any shinier, it’ll be invisible!
Looks great! But I'm even more impressed with your commitment and obsession with perfection. I'm also curious if your body is sore from all the bending and twisting over and over! If I was in SoCal, I'd hire you to detail my car!
Appreciate 1
Frupal788.50
      07-31-2020, 10:52 AM   #8
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
Looks great! But I'm even more impressed with your commitment and obsession with perfection. I'm also curious if your body is sore from all the bending and twisting over and over! If I was in SoCal, I'd hire you to detail my car!

Why thank you! I was just wondering how much a Detailer would charge for all of that. And yes! My shoulders are sore, my lower back is complaining and my legs have a few gripes too! It’s funny you’d use the word obsession. It is an obsession, and a commitment. But I figure it’s better to obsess over specs of dust on my black car than to spin out over the world situation. Have a great weekend!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 05:01 PM   #9
khoa@x-ph.com
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

Good stuff. Your car is shiny now!! Gonna need some close up photos.
Appreciate 1
Frupal788.50
      07-31-2020, 09:10 PM   #10
Mennaf06
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 Bmw 640i

Quote:

Black shows it all so great job! Mine is grey but you definitely inspired me
Appreciate 1
Frupal788.50
      07-31-2020, 09:21 PM   #11
Alpine650
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 650i xDrive Vert

Frupal do you travel?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 07:40 AM   #12
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

On a side note, no pun intended, look at the side profile of the 6 GC shown in this thread. Look at how the lines are perfectly placed. Look at the how the rear door perfectly intersects the Hofmeister kink. Look at the broad shoulders and the Zicker line. Look at the arrow shape and the beautiful silky silhouette. Now look at the abominations that are coming out of BMW with lines all over the place that don't make any sense at all and are non-congruent. Look at the loss classic design elements. Now tell me which car would you rather have!
Appreciate 1
MMMM6GC275.00
      08-01-2020, 09:12 AM   #13
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
On a side note, no pun intended, look at the side profile of the 6 GC shown in this thread. Look at how the lines are perfectly placed. Look at the how the rear door perfectly intersects the Hofmeister kink. Look at the broad shoulders and the Zicker line. Look at the arrow shape and the beautiful silky silhouette. Now look at the abominations that are coming out of BMW with lines all over the place that don't make any sense at all and are non-congruent. Look at the loss classic design elements. Now tell me which car would you rather have!
would look even better with 2 less door's ha ha
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2020, 09:18 AM   #14
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine650 View Post
Frupal do you travel?
Haha! Not during the pandemic.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 09:35 AM   #15
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The profile of these cars is singular, I think, and jaw dropping. Before I bought Big Blue, I had been searching for a 535d for almost a year. I thought it was a decent looking car, and practical, and I really wanted a car with that much torque that gave 40 mpg. And with all of that grunt, they are certainly fun to drive.

When I returned from yet another 535d test drive to BMW of Beverly Hills, I parked right next to this stunning car. I literally did a triple take. I didn’t know about the arrow or the Zicker Line, or the Hoffmeister Kink, but I had never seen a big 4 door that caught my eye (and heart) so instantly. “What is that!?” I asked.

I drove her and bought her right then and never looked back, except for after I park. I always look back at least twice. BMW really hit the bullseye with this one. Both the coupe and the GC are stunning. For me, this is what car ownership is all about. I think that you need to love what you drive and be proud of it inside and out. The idea of buying a car just for transportation is unthinkable. I despise the Prius. Yes, I lamented not getting the 650, but then I saw the C8 Corvette and decided to get one of those for extreme road thrills. Also, my warranty expired yesterday. I think I’m more comfortable with the reliability of the N55.

Now that I’ve blathered on forever, I think I’ll drive to Malibu for a loaf of bread.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 11:06 AM   #16
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Paint close ups

Took some close ups of the post strip/clay/wax/Meguiar’s Last Touch Pro Detail Spray. Sorry you can’t see all that much paint - it’s like a black mirror!

Side note: Do y’all know why birds like to poop on your shiny black cars? Especially right after you’ve worked your ass off on it and it’s so shiny you can hardly see it? Because they think it’s a lake!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 11:07 AM   #17
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMPOWERED View Post

Looks Gorgeous!!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 06:33 PM   #18
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive - M Sport Plus

Quote:
Took some close ups of the post strip/clay/wax/Meguiar’s Last Touch Pro Detail Spray. Sorry you can’t see all that much paint - it’s like a black mirror!

Side note: Do y’all know why birds like to poop on your shiny black cars? Especially right after you’ve worked your ass off on it and it’s so shiny you can hardly see it? Because they think it’s a lake!
Wow! The paintwork is more shiny then the chrome wheels!!!

G30 540i xDrive / Stage 3 via BM3 / xHP Stage 3 / Pure 800 Cast Turbo / 5" Catted Downpipe / MST Intake / Remus Exhaust / MSS Springs / 19" JR SL01 & Conti SC7 / 20" BBS CI-R & Michelin PS4S / F90 Sway Bars & Braces / Lots of Gloss Black
Appreciate 1
Frupal788.50
      08-03-2020, 03:32 AM   #19
m9rc
Rep
Drives: BMW 640d Gran Coupe

Great Job! The Hard work was definitely worth it 👌
Appreciate 1
Frupal788.50
      08-03-2020, 12:43 PM   #20
khoa@x-ph.com
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

Quote:

That's mirror like condition. Such great detail job.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 02:21 PM   #21
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa@x-ph.com View Post
That's mirror like condition. Such great detail job.
Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 02:23 PM   #22
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9rc View Post
Great Job! The Hard work was definitely worth it 👌
Thank you!