BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

12-16-2018, 09:19 AM   #1
szabee
Rep
Drives: BMW F06 640i M-Tech

HELP BMW 640i Adaptive LED Headlight low Beam error

Hi All,

I have a problem with my BMW F06 640i Grand Coupe 2014.

My car has an adaptive LED headlight.
Before 1 month ago, when the main lights turned on (automatically) got an error: " Left Low beam light malfunction " . After this message the left side low and high beam hadn't worked.
... and the intereseting!
- this problem is only if the main light switch is " Auto " position, if I turn the lights on manually, I never got this error.
The other variation is if the main light switch is in " auto position ", and after when I got the " low beam malfunction error " , but I pull the left stalk and I activate the high beam function for 1 second, the error deleted, and the left low beam working again.
I changed the LED moduls from the right side headlight to the left side headlight already, but the problem is same. I bought 2 left side headlights already (there are used parts), but the problem is same.
How much is the chance, that the two previously used lamps were defective?!?!

My question Is what I can do more? Need buy a brand new left headlight? or ?

Thank you for any help, I love my car, but I'm very disappointed already...

PS: Sorry my english is not the best....
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 03:50 PM   #2
szabee
Rep
Drives: BMW F06 640i M-Tech

Hi, nobody has been with same problem?

Br

Mate
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 12:15 PM   #3
elvisisdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 MSport 2013/09

There was someone a couple of years ago with a similar issue, with a search. Fortunately not an issue in mine, but would have thought it of for two replacement units to have the same problem.

Any codes when you read the error?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 10:37 PM   #4
Tfzen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 640i GC

I have had the same problem, from what I researched you have 2 options:
1. Replace the left headlight unit
2. Code out adaptive function of the headlights (turning with steering)

There is a reason that most used headlights for sale are the left side one.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 01:07 AM   #5
eagmail
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6

You will need new headlight without a doubt.

Just did this on my 2014 m6
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 06:33 PM   #6
Tfzen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 640i GC

I got away with coding away the adaptive function, but then the headlights no longer turn with your steering.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 12:11 AM   #7
phydor
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 640

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfzen View Post
I got away with coding away the adaptive function, but then the headlights no longer turn with your steering.
Hi there mate, how did you do that? I suppose you had S552, did you delete it and added S52A? Have you managed to keep high beam/low beam assist?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 05:04 PM   #8
mrjsmith88
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5M

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Adaptive headlight module is out of wack buy one reprogram it and its back on road you go bmwpartshub.com got them for a good price
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 06:29 AM   #9
SpooldYou
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 650 XI Gran Coupe

Have the same issue periodically, I traced it back to the bulb itself. I'll get around to it eventually
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 12:03 PM   #10
gjohnsen
Private
Rep
Drives: 640D Xdrive

I have the same issue. When i have the light switch i auto mode. I get the low beam left side malfunction error after driving a few minutes. I can disable the error turning the light switch to manual.

The car was at the dealer today. The mechanic took out the lights and checked everything. Picked up the car and the fault came back after 15 minutes of driving. The mechanic told me then that a complete headlight and module replacement was necessary.

Lucky that my insurance is covering this. The parts are incredible expensive.
Appreciate 2
      08-22-2019, 09:35 PM   #11
mrjsmith88
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5M

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjohnsen View Post
I have the same issue. When i have the light switch i auto mode. I get the low beam left side malfunction error after driving a few minutes. I can disable the error turning the light switch to manual.

The car was at the dealer today. The mechanic took out the lights and checked everything. Picked up the car and the fault came back after 15 minutes of driving. The mechanic told me then that a complete headlight and module replacement was necessary.

So what insurance is that so I can buy it lol
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 01:39 AM   #12
gjohnsen
Private
Rep
Drives: 640D Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjsmith88 View Post
So what insurance is that so I can buy it lol

Hehe. Its my car insurance that covers this damage. Its called a "Top" insurance that covers engine, drive train, turbo, electrical system ++

The co-payment I have to pay for a damage is 600$. That includes a rental car.

This insurance cost me 1100$ a year for 16000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 12:29 PM   #13
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by szabee View Post
Hi All,

I have a problem with my BMW F06 640i Grand Coupe 2014.

My car has an adaptive LED headlight.
Before 1 month ago, when the main lights turned on (automatically) got an error: " Left Low beam light malfunction " . After this message the left side low and high beam hadn't worked.
... and the intereseting!
- this problem is only if the main light switch is " Auto " position, if I turn the lights on manually, I never got this error.
The other variation is if the main light switch is in " auto position ", and after when I got the " low beam malfunction error " , but I pull the left stalk and I activate the high beam function for 1 second, the error deleted, and the left low beam working again.
I changed the LED moduls from the right side headlight to the left side headlight already, but the problem is same. I bought 2 left side headlights already (there are used parts), but the problem is same.
How much is the chance, that the two previously used lamps were defective?!?!

My question Is what I can do more? Need buy a brand new left headlight? or ?

Thank you for any help, I love my car, but I'm very disappointed already...

PS: Sorry my english is not the best....
If you do need a new left headlight, I happen to have one. Mine was replaced with a new one ($3,000.00!) and I kept the original one. It is in nearly perfect shape and functions perfectly. I would sell it for $500.00.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 08:11 AM   #14
jcalifornia
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i xDrive GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfzen View Post
I have had the same problem, from what I researched you have 2 options:
1. Replace the left headlight unit
2. Code out adaptive function of the headlights (turning with steering)

There is a reason that most used headlights for sale are the left side one.
What is the setting in the bimmercode App to disable Adaptive function of headlights? Will this also disable auto bright lights?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 04:09 AM   #15
MCAYENNE52
Registered
Spain
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5, bmw x6, mini sidewalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjohnsen View Post

Hello,

I have preoblem the same problem in my x6, I would like to ask you, if your problem appeared after change the battery as my problem.

Thank you.

Kind Regards
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 04:45 AM   #16
Junnnn
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 650 gc (m package)

Does it really work? I bought one module, but I don't know what I can do for reprogramming it
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 04:47 AM   #17
Junnnn
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 650 gc (m package)

Hey! Did the same problem happen in the past few years after you replaced the headlight assembly? I met the same issue
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 10:30 AM   #18
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

This seems to be a very common issue on the adaptive LED headlight on the left hand side. I recently changed mine for the same reasons.

My understanding is that it usually is the outward of the two dipped beam light that fails (or in other words the left one of the two light sources).

Unfortunately the failure usually is in the headlight itself, not the modules. If you observe the left headlight when turning on the dipped beam you will notice that the most outward light dips and moves to the left hand side of the car. Ie the mechanism for this particular light is more frequently in motion as well as making a larger movement than the other three lights.
My understanding is that the issue is related to this particular quirk with the left light source in the left headlight. Since we also never hear about there being an issue on the right headlight (on cars in countries where we drive on the right side anyway) I think that backs up my theory.

On my car the left light source in the left headlight would sometimes light up but then oncoming traffic would flash at me since my dipped beam dazzled them. That was because the mechanism that dipped and moved the light source had failed. My broken headlight had no movement of the far left light source. The new one has.

So my belief is that this issue is caused by a mechanical failure in the internal mechanism that adjusts the LED beams.

Either get a new headlight or find someone who can open it and replace the mechanism inside. I wouldn't advice buying a used headlight as they seem bound to fail eventually.
Appreciate 0