BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

02-22-2019, 06:52 AM   #1
elvisisdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 MSport 2013/09

Old F06 spy shots

As the title suggests, dies anyone know if there was a spy shot section of this forum for the F06? I'm just interested in what it was looking like in the run up to launch so I can compare if I should be as disappointed in the spy shots of the 8gc as I feel at the moment?

I can't help but think the 8gc has some 6gt influences in the side profile (with the exception of hurse style height) that I just don't like. The side profile and amount of boot looks so much better proportioned on the 6gc.

I like the 8 coupe but rear seats are unusable, the 8 gc I'm hoping is going to bridge the divide I've got in its look once seen in the flesh.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 11:09 AM   #2
jjasonSU
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 650i, NSX

I remember

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 11:13 AM   #3
elvisisdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Are those the LCI shots? A Google search and I got loads of 8series and 4 series gc pictures but only a few 6 and they all looked like LCI refreshes.

It's quite clear the car in the shots above, which does give me that thought that I'm just not into the 8gc.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 11:28 AM   #4
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Not LCI, you can tell from the headlights
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 12:42 PM   #5
elvisisdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ah good point.. the mirrors were what made me think LCI..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 01:51 PM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taheemr View Post
Not LCI, you can tell from the headlights
Ditto...as well as the turn signal below the headlights and the kidney grills have 10 bars instead of LCI's 9 bars.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4984.50
      02-22-2019, 02:32 PM   #7
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

yes, the bimmerpost forum here archives all frontpage posts. Many frontpage posts in the early days of the F 6 series has spy shots and media release shots etc.

Click here, select 6 series at the top, and select the oldest page at the bottom:
https://www.bimmerpost.com/category/6-series/

alternatively, BMWBlog.com is also a good source for the old spy shots and official press shots:

https://www.bmwblog.com/category/models/bmw-6-series/

Select 6 series and find the oldest pages
      02-22-2019, 02:36 PM   #8
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

btw for your purpose, I'm not aware of any 8-series GC interior shots or official measurements yet that shows you how big it is. You can assume it'll be built on the same wheelbase as the G 5-series similar to the F series cars and will have the same differences on the G series cars. So find the dimension measures of a G series 5 series and subtract a few inches at certain spots to get an estimate.

For this estimate, the F 6-series is built on the same wheelbase as the F 5-series, but the interior is not as wide, but not by as much as you would think. Read my post here on the comparison:
https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showth...ight=wheelbase

So again find the dimension measures of a G series 5 series and subtract a few inches at certain spots to get an estimate and then go sit in 540i at your dealership and gauge what 2 inches of width and 1 inch of less headroom feels like, and account for the seat pitch to be more of a bucket and less of a bench.

Finally, don't compare it to a coupe. It's on a different measurement standpoint. My post doesn't show the F series coupe measures, but there's a big difference in interior and exterior measures. The F series coupe is closer to the wheelbase of a F 4-series than it is to a F06 GC. The coupe is on a different wheelbase and different unibody frame. It'll simply measure smaller on all aspects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
I'm going to correct you here, you cannot call out the dimensions of these two cars by eyeball. The M6 GC will give you the impression it's a much larger and wider car. The differences are much smaller than you imply in your post.

Firstly, the M6 GC is NOT on a 7-series frame. The 7-series frames are on a 126 inch or so wheelbase, so it's not even close. In fact, the M6 GC and M5 have the EXACT same wheelbase length. EXACT meaning, literally down the same fractions of an inch.

What the M6 GC and M5 does deviate from a measurement standpoint are:
1. M6 GC body length is about 4 inches longer (all of which attributed to the front bumper design), and ONLY 0.5 inch wider on the body.
2. M6 GC body height is 4 inches shorter than the M5
3. M6 GC track and body width are 0.1 and 0.5 inches (respectively) wider than the M5
4. M5 passenger compartment is 2 inches wider than the M6 GC (M5 can legitimately seat someone in the rear center bench.)
5. M5 rear passenger headroom is marginally higher than the M6 GC (the rear is 1 inch taller in the M5, front headroom are the same)
6. M5 weighs about 10 lbs lighter than the M6 GC
7. Finally, if you're talking about the M6 coupe, it's a smaller car. The wheelbase is 4 inches shorter than the M5/6GC and slightly shorter in height.

http://www.bmwpower.ge/pages/technic.../f10-m5-sedan/

Moral of the story is...all those car "journalists" who claim the 6GC had small head room and legroom is just full of shit and regurgitating false information or is doing it by eyeball. The largest thing the GC gives up will be the rear seating width, by 2 inches. It has the same front headroom, and gives up rear headroom by 1 inch. And to say you can tell a difference of 1 and 2 inches is also horseshit. The 6GC's rear seating is at a different pitch and is a bucket not a bench, so it'll feel smaller.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 02-22-2019 at 02:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 04:57 PM   #9
elvisisdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep

That's a well thought out response. I'm looking at just the schematic drawings above and have so much more appreciation for the 6 than what I've seen of the 8 gc. Think my minds made up to chop in for a newer 6.

If I was in the coupe market though, that would definitely be an 8.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 01:24 AM   #10
thiscarlife
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe F06 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
btw for your purpose, I'm not aware of any 8-series GC interior shots or official measurements yet that shows you how big it is. You can assume it'll be built on the same wheelbase as the G 5-series similar to the F series cars and will have the same differences on the G series cars. So find the dimension measures of a G series 5 series and subtract a few inches at certain spots to get an estimate.

For this estimate, the F 6-series is built on the same wheelbase as the F 5-series, but the interior is not as wide, but not by as much as you would think. Read my post here on the comparison:
https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showth...ight=wheelbase

So again find the dimension measures of a G series 5 series and subtract a few inches at certain spots to get an estimate and then go sit in 540i at your dealership and gauge what 2 inches of width and 1 inch of less headroom feels like, and account for the seat pitch to be more of a bucket and less of a bench.

Finally, don't compare it to a coupe. It's on a different measurement standpoint. My post doesn't show the F series coupe measures, but there's a big difference in interior and exterior measures. The F series coupe is closer to the wheelbase of a F 4-series than it is to a F06 GC. The coupe is on a different wheelbase and different unibody frame. It'll simply measure smaller on all aspects.

Moral of the story is...all those car "journalists" who claim the 6GC had small head room and legroom is just full of shit and regurgitating false information or is doing it by eyeball. The largest thing the GC gives up will be the rear seating width, by 2 inches. It has the same front headroom, and gives up rear headroom by 1 inch. And to say you can tell a difference of 1 and 2 inches is also horseshit. The 6GC's rear seating is at a different pitch and is a bucket not a bench, so it'll feel smaller.
Finally someone gets it!!! People always complain how the 6gc has a crappy amount of rear legroom just by looking at it, but as you said, the rear seats are actually buckets and pitched so you actually sit more inwards therefore compensating for the lesser legroom.
Appreciate 0