BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

03-06-2020, 02:21 PM   #1
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Idea to protect myself buying a used M6

I've had the M6 bug for a while (basically ever since I drove one) and I'm getting closer to buying one.

I can buy it from a BMW dealer and pay a huge premium, or I can buy one from Carvana for slightly less - the advantage with the latter is that you have 7 days to return it. Or I could really be brave and buy one at Manheim (I know a guy...) at wholesale and hopefully come out ahead financially, albeit without any return or even a test drive possibility.

I've owned many BMWs, so I know all about repair costs and unexpected failures. The scary part of a used M car is you don't how much it's been abused or pampered, and these engine failures can be expensive. So I thought, buy the Carvana car, Fedex the oil sample to Blackstone, and if it comes back with any bad signs, take it back for a refund (the car, not the oil).

Presumably they change the oil before they sell the car, so I don't know how accurate the report would be, and it gives me a very small window of opportunity. I am not a fan of extended warranties, so although it's an option as well, it's not one that I particularly want to pursue. I'm sure it's expensive on a F13.

And note that I'm not picking on the M6, as BMW V8 models in the past 8 years have all been somewhat problematic, and the S63 actually less so than the N63.

Thoughts? Advice? Suggestions?
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 04:16 PM   #2
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Good thought, but doubt it's going to be a good predictor the future. The chances that the oil has not been changed and is contaminated with a bunch of crap is pretty low. So the greater probability is that it will come back fine and you'll just have the luck of the draw with the car. In this situation, the extended warranty is your best protection.
Appreciate 2
      03-06-2020, 05:35 PM   #3
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

I did this for my car around 2 years ago it was fantastic, fast service ,dead accurate and if you want they will do an oil analysis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

https://lemonsquad.com/?utm_source=b...4ba2b4d3092070
2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals

Last edited by Whipple; 03-06-2020 at 05:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 12:53 PM   #4
Salottox5m
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 m5

like u i'm in the market - i have 650 gc now And want the M6

1. carvana - the way u make it sound is you can easily buy ( probably true) & easily return ( knowing car dealers i highly doubt)
i'm just say with that think i'd be extremely cautious.. if u return the car i'd bet there's done BS re-stocking fee - or taxes or something .... in theory sounds great but i'm willing to bet returning a car isn't that easy

2. mannheim - like u i have access — i even have buddy's account info to login — here's few issues
- you buy it there ... gotta do all homework prior n take chance
- largest hiccup i see —- is theres not many m6 gran coupes going through auction — like mannheim pennsylvania- maybe has 2-3 a month tops going through it — what are the chances your going to find the year you want / the right miles / color combo etc... ? slim

if u want i can look on monday for you - but u can run report on all m6 gran coupes that sold — & it's not many — so my point is ...
a. not knowing car history is big chance
b. may take few months before the car n year n price you find cones along

i'd find the car you like & know the history & but a car with a warranty or out a warranty on it — any car regardless of make n model needs items replaced & on an M model it's 3x normal price — so wear n tear is inevitable- warranty is huge & but car w warranty or buy car cheap enough to put a $4k warranty on it ( or whatever they costs - i just know they are not cheap)

all of course is my 2c — it's your money your life — you do whatever your comfortable with

hope that helps a little at lease
      03-07-2020, 12:58 PM   #5
Salottox5m
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 m5

attach screen shot when i looked few months ago - not sure if it shows the date — but it shows there's not many m6 GC going through mannheim
- not sure which location you have connection to buy see attached n this should help back up what i'm saying in there's not a lot of cars going g through actions - so it may take a while — the way i see it — is if your spending $50k ish for a used car — don't settle - make sure you get the right color combo / miles / year / etc u want
Attached Images

03-07-2020, 01:25 PM   #6
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Wow. 39k wholesale now. In about 2 years I'll be able to trade in my M6GC for a bus ticket and a pack of gum
      03-20-2020, 06:51 PM   #7
936F06
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Bought my Alpine white/ Entended opal interior with 42k for 39.5k. Itll probably drop another 5k.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 10:38 AM   #8
MetZF82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F06 M6

Anyone buying these high performance cars usually have the same fear. Personally I would never buy a used performance car with tint, black grills, or any exterior modifications to it. That's my red flag.

It's always a gamble. I bought my 15 F06 1 year 7 months ago with 27k miles. I have 36k miles. I've been tuned + exhaust for all 9k miles. So far so good 🤷🏻*♂️.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 10:40 AM   #9
MetZF82
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 936F06 View Post
Bought my Alpine white/ Entended opal interior with 42k for 39.5k. Itll probably drop another 5k.
What year is yours? I paid $64k + taxes for my CPO 15 27k miles, 147k msrp. Year and 7 months ago.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 02:18 PM   #10
AlpineKing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetZF82 View Post
Anyone buying these high performance cars usually have the same fear. Personally I would never buy a used performance car with tint, black grills, or any exterior modifications to it. That's my red flag.

It's always a gamble. I bought my 15 F06 1 year 7 months ago with 27k miles. I have 36k miles. I've been tuned + exhaust for all 9k miles. So far so good 🤷🏻*♂️.
Out of curiosity, why? I understand that stock is ideal to represent unmolested examples, but what you have referenced there are purely cosmetic. I'd be more concerned around mechanical changes vs. a car that has been tinted or had it's ugly chrome grills changed to black!
Appreciate 1
DRKNTM615.50
      03-24-2020, 05:10 PM   #11
MetZF82
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamfM6 View Post
Quote:

Out of curiosity, why? I understand that stock is ideal to represent unmolested examples, but what you have referenced there are purely cosmetic. I'd be more concerned around mechanical changes vs. a car that has been tinted or had it's ugly chrome grills changed to black!
I don't know a friend or a car guy who has ever done exterior mods and not engine mods also. They come hand and hand.

Once I see exterior mods I assume at some point the car was engine modded as well. I usually check underneath the car for any signs of previous cut outs to the exhaust. Car fax of course as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 01:42 PM   #12
AlpineKing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M6 GC

Quote:
I don't know a friend or a car guy who has ever done exterior mods and not engine mods also. They come hand and hand.

Once I see exterior mods I assume at some point the car was engine modded as well. I usually check underneath the car for any signs of previous cut outs to the exhaust. Car fax of course as well.

Fair enough, I have a grey area where I consider a car/bike to have "free-to-me" mods when buying used vs full bore modifications. Ironically, the majority of us look for stock cars, just to spend thousands on modifying them!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 03:55 PM   #13
MetZF82
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineKing_M6GC View Post
Quote:

Fair enough, I have a grey area where I consider a car/bike to have "free-to-me" mods when buying used vs full bore modifications. Ironically, the majority of us look for stock cars, just to spend thousands on modifying them!
Yes agreed lol.
Appreciate 0