BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

06-04-2018, 06:24 AM   #23
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 40i

You need to lawyer up, but also find out who did the tune, contact the company and get them to back their product. Where did you buy car? Can you see the add on wires/box in the engine bay for the piggyback?

My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 11:35 AM   #24
TomM6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F12 M6 individual

Where do you buy this car? This seems shady since the car is practically new!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 12:01 PM   #25
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeym6 View Post
I mean come on a $140k car should at least be solid enough the first 50k miles regardless of the warm up .this is an M6 not a corolla where we have to watch the oil temp every time we start the car
corolla or not, it doesn't matter. In every car, you have to watch your oil temp before you driven in the high RPMs.

Plus, BMW has been notorious in putting in tighter bearing tolerances in the M motors but also using thicker oil to accommodate higher operating temperatures in a high revving motor. That's a recipe for early bearing wear if you don't watch your oil temps.
      06-04-2018, 02:28 PM   #26
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

There are a lot of holes in this story. The biggest one being that before doing anything to verify what the dealer said, he already tore down the motor at a shop which i'm sure he's already into a few thousands just for the work performed already. He is also not disclosing what tune is on the car, piggyback or flash, who did the flash, etc. Another thing that is off, why hasn't the OP gotten in touch with the seller, and why did you buy an almost brand new $140k car without bringing the car to a BMW dealership for a full inspection? Like I said, a lot of holes in this story.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 06:12 PM   #27
kong24680
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone Metallic F06 M6 Gr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalM6GC View Post
There are a lot of holes in this story. The biggest one being that before doing anything to verify what the dealer said, he already tore down the motor at a shop which i'm sure he's already into a few thousands just for the work performed already. He is also not disclosing what tune is on the car, piggyback or flash, who did the flash, etc. Another thing that is off, why hasn't the OP gotten in touch with the seller, and why did you buy an almost brand new $140k car without bringing the car to a BMW dealership for a full inspection? Like I said, a lot of holes in this story.
I don't know if a regular PPI from a dealership will show whether or not a car has been tuned. I think they would really have to be looking for it in the ECU files if the car has been returned to stock.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 06:28 PM   #28
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kong24680 View Post
I don't know if a regular PPI from a dealership will show whether or not a car has been tuned. I think they would really have to be looking for it in the ECU files if the car has been returned to stock.
But the car had a muffler delete done. So knowing that you don't have a full inspection done? Any of the Porsche guys know that when you buy a 996 or 997 you check the flash counter and any other mods before purchase. This is a 2017 M6 not a 2013 so he had to pay a high premium to buy it, and not knowing what he was doing cost him a lot of money for a rebuild. Parts just don't add up unless this guy was just clueless to the buying process of an expensive performance car. Other things that don't add up is that he already had the engine torn down without even consulting BMW NA or the seller, or the tuner, etc. You just go drop $5k to pull the engine out and tear it down without even asking BMW any questions or the previous seller. Just sounds weird.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 12:45 AM   #29
kong24680
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone Metallic F06 M6 Gr

Quote:
Quote:
But the car had a muffler delete done. So knowing that you don't have a full inspection done? Any of the Porsche guys know that when you buy a 996 or 997 you check the flash counter and any other mods before purchase. This is a 2017 M6 not a 2013 so he had to pay a high premium to buy it, and not knowing what he was doing cost him a lot of money for a rebuild. Parts just don't add up unless this guy was just clueless to the buying process of an expensive performance car. Other things that don't add up is that he already had the engine torn down without even consulting BMW NA or the seller, or the tuner, etc. You just go drop $5k to pull the engine out and tear it down without even asking BMW any questions or the previous seller. Just sounds weird.
Yeah definitely weird... threads like this make me very skeptical about wanting to tune my car lol. I feel like I see a new blown motor post every month or two
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 12:56 AM   #30
Mikeym6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M6 GC

Quote:
I didn't even know the car was tuned till weeks after I bought it and took it to Bmw for an oil change next thing I know Bmw calling saying your ecu has been tuned and we voided the warranty on the motor , no clue what kind of tune all they said it was a flash , I don't even know who is the tuner , hoe can I find out ????? I did ask Bmw and they won't tell me
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 12:57 AM   #31
Mikeym6
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The muffler Delete was disclosed nothing else , I did inspect the car at a local Bmw prior to purchase and everything was ok
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 01:07 AM   #32
Mikeym6
Enlisted Member
Rep

2017 bmw m6 worn rod bearings with 10k miles only

Quote:
Quote:
I'm in the car so far $5k to torn the engine Dow to investigate the noise since Bmw refused to help , trust me I'm not throwing my money away for nothing I'll have Bmw reimburse me for every dollar I spent once we find out where the noise coming from , this morning I got a call from the shop saying just rod bearings and they were shocked how could that happen to almost a new M6 w 13k miles only
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 01:39 AM   #33
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm in the car so far $5k to torn the engine Dow to investigate the noise since Bmw refused to help , trust me I'm not throwing my money away for nothing I'll have Bmw reimburse me for every dollar I spent once we find out where the noise coming from , this morning I got a call from the shop saying just rod bearings and they were shocked how could that happen to almost a new M6 w 13k miles only
Could have been a garbage tune. What about the seller? Who did you buy this car from that you were not able to ask them questions about it before you tore it down? Also why didn't you try another dealer and let them know the story? Could have just been a way for the dealer to get out of repairs on your car by saying it was tuned? Before you spent $5k tearing it down where is the proof from the dealer that it was tuned? Clear the air dude cause your story just doesn't add up.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 01:41 AM   #34
Mikeym6
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Could have been a garbage tune. What about the seller? Who did you buy this car from that you were not able to ask them questions about it before you tore it down? Clear the air.
It's BMW NA through an auction , I'm going after then for sure just waiting on them to respond to my issue and see if they willing to work w me
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 02:00 AM   #35
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's BMW NA through an auction , I'm going after then for sure just waiting on them to respond to my issue and see if they willing to work w me
What does that mean BMW NA Auction? Where did you buy the car from?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 02:02 AM   #36
Mikeym6
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
What does that mean BMW NA Auction? Where did you buy the car from?
They sold it at the auction , they were the seller
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 02:16 AM   #37
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They sold it at the auction , they were the seller
BMW NA was the seller? So someone turned in a car with a blown motor as a lemon and they auctioned it off? What did you pay for it? Hopefully not some too good to be true number...

Most likely there was some clause in that auction stating something along the lines of sold as is like any other auction. I think you just lost your case, if anything get some tears in your eyes and call BMW NA, beg them for some help cause you bought the car at auction, no one is responsible for it but you far as I know how the law works, but I'm not an attorney. Also check the carfax and autocheck, I hope you did before you bought the car but if it was a lemon that info will be in there. Good luck

Last edited by BMWDriverX; 06-05-2018 at 02:31 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2018, 12:29 PM   #38
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

so I just got caught up on this story. OP, since you've already dumped $5k in the tear down, at this point, it's no more than $2k to put in new bearings and call it a day.

BTW 7k for a bearing swap is considered very expensive. The LA shops have been doing this in the S65s in the $4k range, and that includes the replacement parts.

$7k generally amounts to nothing in the grand scheme of things. If you want to sue them, how much will your lawyer fees be? This might be something relegated to small claims court, and in that case, it comes down to what was written in BMW's warranty policy, so you lost already.

Lesson to be learned: With the S85 and S65 cars, generally, before you buy a used car you ask for an oil report to get a sense how much wear is in the bearings at that point in time. Buyers know this already on those cars.

Excessive bearing wear is not a known issue on the S63. So this has me concerned. I think on my next oil change I'll run a blackstone as well and start documenting my wear history.

Or as others have stated, there's more to this story than meets the eye. And I'm not blaming OP. He probably doesn't know any more than what he's telling us. After all, it was a preowned car.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 06-05-2018 at 01:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 06:29 PM   #39
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Yeah thats another thing they said you had a tune so they void his warranty ,can they prove there was a tune installed?, plus it sounds to me that the car had a void warranty already from BMW NA ,you should check to see what date is was actually void probably before you even owned it and the seller should have put a disclaimer
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2018, 07:27 PM   #40
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
Yeah thats another thing they said you had a tune so they void his warranty ,can they prove there was a tune installed?, plus it sounds to me that the car had a void warranty already from BMW NA ,you should check to see what date is was actually void probably before you even owned it and the seller should have put a disclaimer
More than likely that was the case and also why they sold it at auction. The title may even have lemon on it, I do not think the OP ran a carfax or autocheck on the car before buying it since i asked and he didn't say anything, and he's paying for that lack of due diligence now.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 11:37 AM   #41
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Rule #1 of buying any used car: check carfax

Rule #2 of buying any used BMW of a 4/5 year vintage: check whether existing warranty is still valid.
      11-26-2018, 09:32 PM   #42
MAD5019
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 e46 M3

That sucks! Can you describe the ticking noise at all? Loud/soft, fast/slow, when engine cold/warm?

Looking at 07 M6 w/ 50K, know this is a warning sign so trying to determine what to listen for.

Had e46 M3 w/ SMG issues (replaced the unit $3000 then got the COD 15K miles later) so nervouse to buy another, any thoughts on 2007 year vs another year better or worse for tranny/SMG issues?

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 10:10 AM   #43
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD5019 View Post
That sucks! Can you describe the ticking noise at all? Loud/soft, fast/slow, when engine cold/warm?

Looking at 07 M6 w/ 50K, know this is a warning sign so trying to determine what to listen for.

Had e46 M3 w/ SMG issues (replaced the unit $3000 then got the COD 15K miles later) so nervouse to buy another, any thoughts on 2007 year vs another year better or worse for tranny/SMG issues?

Thanks guys
check YouTube for sound clips. Because you're buying a e63 S85B50, these motors we're designed with low tolerances and are prone for early bearing wear. This is also the same issue in the S65B40 motors, and this topic is well discussed in the meeting part of the website https://www.google.com/search?q=m3post+rod+bearing&oq=m3post+beari&aqs=ch rome.1.69i57j0.7682j0j7&client=ms-android-google&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

My recommendation is to do the bearings as a preventative measure ASAP regardless of noise. LA area shops are doing this work for around $3-$4k which is cheap considering a blown motor is a $12k fix. https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1364644#post21428450

Again, bearing wear in your car is a virtual guarantee.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 01:59 PM   #44
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

How much did you pay for the car? Might still be worth it.
Appreciate 0