BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

07-12-2018, 02:29 PM   #1
Dazza993
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0d M-Sport - Phytonic

Question UK owners - extended warranty options/providers

At the end of July the warranty and breakdown cover that was included when I bought my M6 GC expires.

The warranty included from the supplying trader was an Formula X warranty from Autotrust.

I've not had a renewal quote yet but I'm wondering if any other UK owners have used other 3rd party warranty providers they would recommend so I can get a comparative quote.

There's also the options of warranty via BMW themselves which can also include a roadside assistance option too. The named component offering might be good enough and I'll be getting a quote for that, as it seems to cover the big ticket items if anything goes wrong and the cover level is up to the value of the car itself.

As for my car, it's a (4 year 4 month old) 2014 M6 GC with just under 19,000 miles on the clock. I've had it one year and done about 6.5k miles.

There were no warnings or advisories when it had its service & MOT back in March this year and I've never taken the car on track and don't have plans too. I would consider myself someone shows the car a lot of mechanical sympathy so don't drive it aggressively when components aren't up to temperature. Rarely do I get it anywhere near the rev limit and if I do stretch the cars legs it's not for an extended period.

I'm half tempted to go without a warranty given the car's low mileage etc. but I am aware that if something big does go pop then I could be looking at a bill running to thousands.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Darren...
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 02:13 AM   #2
MARKPRIOR
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 M6 GC

Hi Darren

i currently have a warrantywise cover that came with the car, its a platinum cover (thankfully not had to use it. Had a couple of renewal quotes to extend with decent discounts 800.00 for extending to 2 years, 1300.00 for 3 years. The standrad quotes seem to be pretty high however 1 year was around 1k without the discount. Thankfully not had to use the cover but it is supposed to be one of the better out there.

Previous:2014 640D GC 383BHP + 733NM, F10 2010 530d 520i (2000), E36 comact 318i, E46 M3, E46 318Ci, X5,
Non BMW: 5x Skyline / GTRs, 5x Supras, 2x Nissan 200sx s14a, lots of other stuff
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2018, 12:47 PM   #3
Dazza993
Private
Rep

Hi Mark

Thanks for the tip, I'll certainly get a quote for Warrantywise Platinum and report back. £800 for 2 years cover seems very reasonable. I see from your signature you're running a 640d - my guess would be that cover for an M6 will be higher, though both have a brace of turbos and I don't have the issue of any DPF related issues.

Cheers again.
Darren...
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 10:27 AM   #4
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

My advice would be to opt for the BMW warranty with mondial or allianz not sure which nowadays, may be abit more, but worth speaking from experience
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 11:47 AM   #5
Dazza993
Private
Rep

I'll be getting a price for the BMW named component because I did an online quote for a Warrantywise policy and without ticking every option is was around £1700 which it a ludicrous amount of money - I recall doing an online quote for BMW comprehensive cover a few months ago and I'm sure that came out at around £1300. I did get a call today from Warrantywise asking about the quote and they're going to try and do me a better price!
Appreciate 0