BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

08-16-2019, 06:30 PM   #1
Thedriver85
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Mustang GT "Beast"

M6 Grancoupe Manual Transmission?

Hello,

I pride myself on knowing everything about cars, and my wife who who never reads about cars told me that the M6 is pretty, has four doors and comes in stick. Naturally, I'm like, no sweetie it doesn't. Went back and forth couple times, including a bet...am bam...I'm wrong. When the heck did they make this, and how did slip throw all the articles I read?

Anyone have one?

BTW...I m folding the kids laundry as we speak, because of this lost bet.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 09:29 PM   #2
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Yes. They made 6spd M6 GC until the end. Even had 2019 versions of it.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 07:20 PM   #3
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

My question is; Why? Why would anyone want a manual transmission these days? The automatics shift much faster than any human can, they are virtually flawless. And especially in a Gran Coupe. I love my automatic. I’ve had plenty of manual cars, including 3 Acura NSXs. Back then I recoiled in horror at an automatic NSX. Lol. But now, maybe because I’m older and lazier and drive a 4300 pound lux-mobile I just don’t want to shift any more.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 01:38 AM   #4
TON-III
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 640 DA X-Drive M-Sport -12

Hi,

I'm new owner of a 'normal' F13 and even it's diesel I'd had preferred manual. It's true that automatic is faster but it's not the whole story, I would like to enjoy the grunt of the diesel from the bottom while the automatic shaves that away.
Appreciate 1
Frupal788.50
      08-19-2019, 01:23 PM   #5
Thedriver85
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Mustang GT "Beast"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frupal View Post
My question is; Why? Why would anyone want a manual transmission these days? The automatics shift much faster than any human can, they are virtually flawless. And especially in a Gran Coupe. I love my automatic. I've had plenty of manual cars, including 3 Acura NSXs. Back then I recoiled in horror at an automatic NSX. Lol. But now, maybe because I'm older and lazier and drive a 4300 pound lux-mobile I just don't want to shift any more.

I want everything in manual. I just feel closer and more connected to the car. Besides, for me, driving is boring unless it's stick.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 09:23 PM   #6
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frupal View Post
My question is; Why? Why would anyone want a manual transmission these days?
Why would someone choose an acoustic guitar when they can play an app on an iPad? Why would someone choose to eat food when they can just have nutrients pumped through an IV? Why would someone choose to have a real human as a spouse when they could just program a robot? You see where I'm going? Why would people choose to have a visceral experience versus an electronic robotic game like experience?

I totally understand as we all get older, we just don't want to deal with certain hassles. But some of us still like to feel alive and be part of this beautiful experience called driving. At the current rate of conversion, it's not going to last much longer.

BTW, I just bought my first auto 650 (still own 6spd 650) and first auto sedan in 2 decades. The laziness factor can get addictive, but once I row my own gears again, I realize what I'm missing.
Appreciate 1