BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      03-23-2019, 04:14 AM   #1
krell
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 520D

6 Series GT M Sport Plus Ride Quality

I'm in the market for a 630d GT M Sport Plus. These come with 20 inch alloy wheels so I'm wondering how good the ride quality is on standard air suspension at the rear with springs at the front. I currently drive an F11 5 series touring with Variable Damper Control (VDC) so that's my comparison point. Can anyone help?

I've noticed most of the approved used models on sale have the M Sport Plus package so it seems to be very popular - so the standard 19 inch M Sport wheels probably won't attract many buyers.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 12:25 PM   #2
FillUpAtTheBlackPump
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 520d ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by krell View Post
I'm in the market for a 630d GT M Sport Plus. These come with 20 inch alloy wheels so I'm wondering how good the ride quality is on standard air suspension at the rear with springs at the front. I currently drive an F11 5 series touring with Variable Damper Control (VDC) so that's my comparison point. Can anyone help?

I've noticed most of the approved used models on sale have the M Sport Plus package so it seems to be very popular - so the standard 19 inch M Sport wheels probably won't attract many buyers.
This is the exact spec of my car.

I find the ride quality is very good to be honest, it's not at all crashy and feels very smooth even over poor surfaces.

If anything it's a little too soft sometimes in terms of body roll but that probably fits the GT style.

Overall I find it a very relaxing cruiser despite the M-Sport Plus pretensions. I came from an F10 on standard SE suspension for comparison.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 05:17 AM   #3
krell
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 520D

Quote:
Originally Posted by FillUpAtTheBlackPump View Post
This is the exact spec of my car.

I find the ride quality is very good to be honest, it's not at all crashy and feels very smooth even over poor surfaces.

If anything it's a little too soft sometimes in terms of body roll but that probably fits the GT style.

Overall I find it a very relaxing cruiser despite the M-Sport Plus pretensions. I came from an F10 on standard SE suspension for comparison.
Many thanks for your response.

You can only get so much from a brief test drive so it's good to hear from an owner with day to day experience.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 10:31 AM   #4
SixteenM6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Grand Coupe

Coming from a 2016 SRT Challenger and also a RAM 1500 owner, when I test drove the 2016 M6 my very first impression on the freeway at 70mph was how loud the road noise was. I also had a LS-460 and that was an extremely quiet car at any speed.

Now I own the M6 I test drove and when I put it "grandma mode" i.e. "efficient" the road noise isn't too bad and it's decently comfortable for day to day driving. The V8 bi-turbo fun starts at 3,500 rpm or so. Rocket ship.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 02:03 PM   #5
Janman07
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 630dGTX MSp

I had an F11 Sport on 19" rims and M Sport suspension and found the ride quite hard but it was nice, accurate and flat in corners. I now have a 630dGT MSport+ on 20" rims. The suspension and tyres have moved on a generation and it could not be called hard in any way. The car is supremely comfortable and handles much better than the last generation (5GT). Not quite as much fun to throw into a corner as your F11 (or a G30 for that matter) but a high quality tool and very easy to live with day to day.

Don't be put off by all the negative comments about this car. They are written by people who are not the target market. If you have a family, want to travel long distances in comfort, want more interior space than a 5 series but don't want the cost or image of an X5, have a good look at one of these.
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2019, 02:38 AM   #6
mrashton
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 G32 6GT; 2014 F45 218i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixteenM6 View Post
Coming from a 2016 SRT Challenger and also a RAM 1500 owner, when I test drove the 2016 M6 my very first impression on the freeway at 70mph was how loud the road noise was. I also had a LS-460 and that was an extremely quiet car at any speed.

Now I own the M6 I test drove and when I put it "grandma mode" i.e. "efficient" the road noise isn't too bad and it's decently comfortable for day to day driving. The V8 bi-turbo fun starts at 3,500 rpm or so. Rocket ship.
Different car. This thread is talking about the G32 6GT.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 07:30 PM   #7
Machinebuilder
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640 IX GT

I think you need to test drive some different models and make your own judgement. I have a 640 ix GT with Sport package which came with 19" wheels in the US. After test driving a few 7 series models I bought the 640 but put the 18" wheels and tires of a 7 series on my car. I was really impressed with the 7 series ride quality which is luxurious and absorbs bad roads with ease. I would of not bothered if I hadn't almost bought a 7 series. I bought the 6 series for the boot space and versatility.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 10:29 PM   #8
Gilgorm
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 640i Xdrive GT

I bought a 2018 6xiGT with M-Sport last November. I test drove it with standard 20" high performance summers and then I test drove another one with 19" all-seasons. All tires were run-flats.
I felt the 19s were 'slightly' softer but that is purely anecdotal on my part. I also wanted all-seasons for our climate.
The dealer swapped the tires for me before I drove off the lot. No regrets.
I came from a 2012 535xi (non sport) with 18s and Bridgestone Driveguards which were excellent all-seasons.
The 6GT is softer but I like the ride (a lot) and the handling is more affected by the long wheelbase and the 2 axle air suspension.
Overall the car is the best I've ever driven.
2018 640ix GT; Alpine White, Blk Nappa, Piano; M-sport, Premium (Ceramic, SIRIUS, Soft-close, Vent/Massage Comfort seats, Surround, Sunshades, Parking Ass't), Advanced Driver Ass't (Lane keep, Steering/Lane control, Cross traffic, ACC with Stop/Go), Smartphone, Tint.
Retired: 78 300D, 81 300SD, 87 190E, 88 Porsche 924, 89 260E, 93 300E, 97 Volvo 850, 98 E320, 03 BMW 325iT, 02 C230 Sport Coupe, 08 BMW 535i, 12 BMW 535i X-drive
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2022, 06:11 PM   #9
Sounder Hampton
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 640 GT

I have a 2019 640 GT and love the spaciousness and versatility of the interior. I also appreciate the ride when I’m in chill out mode. However, most of the time I find the suspension and handling too soft and cushy. I came from a 5 series sedan and a 5 series touring and appreciate the 5 series’ ability to get frisky if needed. Actually, the performance handing of the 5 series feels safer when it comes to emergency handling.

I wish there was a way to modify my GT so I could feel the road better and have more predictable handling. Great car when chilling, but when I need to do any driving that is close to aggressive the GT leaves me significantly wanting

I knew it was not a performance car, but the boat thing caught me by surprise, and it did not present as an issue during my test drives…only after living with it for a while. Years ago I drove a Saab 900 and figured the GT would perform like a larger version of that car…body roll, but still able to perform. That has not been the case. It is a straight line cruiser almost exclusively, but the engine pulls like a champ….and again, I love the interior versatility and size.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2022, 08:06 PM   #10
Machinebuilder
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640 IX GT

Yes Sounder hampton. The current 640GT is far from the 5 series wagon. Really it drives closer to a 7 series which is kind of like a big luxury aircraft carrier. It has the same tire sizes, wheelbase, suspension etc. of a 7 series. I came from owning 7 series so I was used to it but the 640 GT is a big car. Unfortunately the 5 series wagon was a sweet spot in the BMW range between sport and luxury but it just isn't sold here anymore.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 04:08 PM   #11
pietrasnet
Rep
Drives: BMW 6gt

I have a 630d with 2-axle air suspension oand executive drive.
This is the best configuration for this car - when I want to rest, I go in comfort plus mode, and when I want to drive more aggressively, I have sport mode, which stiffens the car strongly, which does not tilt in corners.
I also drove a car with a standard suspension and I think it is too soft.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 11:48 AM   #12
e92ben
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 BMW 635csi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imole93 View Post
I had an F11 Sport on 19" rims and M Sport suspension and found the ride quite hard but it was nice, accurate and flat in corners.
Scammer ^^^

e92 ///M3
Appreciate 0