BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      04-19-2021, 02:57 PM   #1
debauch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M6GC

Vorsteiner spoiler on

Installed it over the weekend . Looks awesome and feels like it should have always been there. Also, lol on the Vorsteiner mask. Came with my order. Sign of the times I guess.
Attached Images

04-19-2021, 04:46 PM   #2
estrov
Rep
Drives: 2008 535I

Can you share the steps you used to mount this?

Also, what double sided adhesive tape?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 06:03 PM   #3
debauch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M6GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by estrov View Post
Can you share the steps you used to mount this?

Also, what double sided adhesive tape?
1. Watch and rewatch YouTube videos on installing similar spoilers. No joke.

2. Mine came with double sided 3M stick tape. I cleaned the bottom side of the spoiler and put that on (two runs along the underside about 1/8 inch in from the edges). Went to many forums and saw several videos on what to use for adhesive. Some say the 3M tape is plenty good, some say use Betalink, and some say use windshield urethane. Use whatever you’re comfortable with.

2.1. One thing I did was make sure that I have tape all the way around (i.e., no gaps to let water or debris in between the spoiler and trunk).

3. Dry fit the spoiler taking note of any warping and how it lines up with the trunk.

4. Clean, clean, then clean again the trunk area where the spoiler will go.

5. When you’re done cleaning wipe down the area with isopropyl alcohol and make sure the area is dry.

6. Layout the spoiler so it fits centered. I didn’t take a picture of the underside of the spoiler but it’s made to fit the mini lip/spoiler wannabe thing on the factory trunk. This is an important step. Take your time and measure all around to make sure it’s centered. Spoiler to edge of trunk, spoiler ends to trunk lines, make sure the points on the spoiler are centered, so on.

7. Now that it’s centered and in place, double check the spacing again. Seriously. Can’t be too safe here.

8. Once you’ve nailed down the spot where the spoiler will go use painters tape to mark out the ends of the spoiler. Also add a few pieces midway.

9. I used the tape hinge method to help guide the spoiler placement (three or four pieces of tape place on the spoiler ends and trunk that act as a hinge for you to lift the spoiler out of the way).

10. Use the hinge to lift the spoiler out of the way. Make sure the area is clean and apply the promoter (came with my spoiler). You can use the painters tape as a guide.

11. Now you’re ready to set the spoiler on. Peel back a bit of the lining on the stick tape (maybe an inch) and lower the spoiler on the trunk making sure you line it up with your marks. Don’t press it down. Double check all of your measurements. Now slowly peel the lining off and press the spoiler down as you go. Press firmly all over to make sure it’s set in place. Keep checking placement as you go to make sure the spoiler didn’t shift.

12. Clean up and enjoy.

Mine came out great. It’s flush all around and at the tips. I figure if it lifts in the future then I’ll have it professionally installed. It seems solid though.

I’m no professional. This was my first time installing a spoiler on a M6.

Last edited by debauch; 04-19-2021 at 06:31 PM..
Appreciate 0