BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

05-17-2019, 12:24 PM   #1
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Tires?

Shopping for tires to replace the Dunlop runflats that came with my 640i GC.
Michelin? Bridgestone? Continental? Hankook? Any advice would be appreciated. Looking for comfort, quiet, good handling and longevity.
Thanks!
Robin
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 03:07 PM   #2
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Robin,

I'm currently doing the same. I'm sticking with an all-season tire given that I'm in the northeast, and right now my front-runner is the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. It's essentially and "ultra high performance" all-season tire - designed to give a lot of what's great about a summer tire but with reasonable "light snow" capability.

If I was in an area that saw no snow and temps remained about 40, I'd probably just stick with a summer tire. In which case, the Michelin Pilot 4S is generally considered one of the very best.

Arguably, any "max performance" summer tire is overkill on a land yacht like the 6-series, though. These tires are much more at-home on a sports car, so you might save some money looking at a well-rounded GT tire, while also getting better tread life and comfort.

I'm a big fan of Michelin, though - have had good luck with them over the years. As I said, I'm still settling on my replacement for the 650, but more than likely it'll be the A/S 3+ given the reviews. Tire Rack has some good information - videos, reviews, etc.
Appreciate 1
Frupal788.50
      05-17-2019, 07:04 PM   #3
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
Robin,

I'm currently doing the same. I'm sticking with an all-season tire given that I'm in the northeast, and right now my front-runner is the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. It's essentially and "ultra high performance" all-season tire - designed to give a lot of what's great about a summer tire but with reasonable "light snow" capability.

If I was in an area that saw no snow and temps remained about 40, I'd probably just stick with a summer tire. In which case, the Michelin Pilot 4S is generally considered one of the very best.

Arguably, any "max performance" summer tire is overkill on a land yacht like the 6-series, though. These tires are much more at-home on a sports car, so you might save some money looking at a well-rounded GT tire, while also getting better tread life and comfort.

I'm a big fan of Michelin, though - have had good luck with them over the years. As I said, I'm still settling on my replacement for the 650, but more than likely it'll be the A/S 3+ given the reviews. Tire Rack has some good information - videos, reviews, etc.

Thanks for the thoughtful response, Major! I recently bought a 2001 CLK430 with only 26k miles that is in nearly pristine condition. I had to replace the tires as the pilot sports that it came with were old and a bit cracked. I chose an all season tire by Falken and noticed an immediate difference in handling precision as they felt a bit wobbly, compared to the Michelins. I fiddled around with tire pressure a bit and have found a happy medium that I’m willing to accept because I’ll probably put less than 2,000 miles a year on the CLK. That being said: if I were to do it over, I would have shod it with new pilot sports, which is exactly what I intend to do for the 640i. I am still considering the Michelin all season tire, but I live in LA - we don’t get much snow here! Lol. So I’ll most likely go with the new Pilot Sport tires.
Appreciate 0