BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      08-15-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Food you like

What food items do you like? I don't mean what you eat most, or what's good for you to eat. Just, what are your favorites? If preparation matters, tell us that too.

Mine are:
  • Meat: Rack of lamb. You keep the mint jelly; I don't want it. Pork.
  • Poultry: Chicken thighs and duck breasts.
  • Seafood: Toro, blue crab (specifically Maryland crab cakes, but other preparations are great too), salmon, sole/flounder, halibut, striped bass, and catfish.
  • Veggies: Spinach, broccoli, carrots, corn, peas, butternut and acorn squash, sauteed onion, and green beans.
  • Fruit: Plums and lychee, but I don't dislike any fruit. Durian is my least favorite, but for the smell, not the taste.
  • Breakfast: Crab omlette
  • Dessert: raspberry sorbet, peaches with Drambuie whipped cream and blueberries
  • Cocktail: Lagavulin on the rocks, amaretto and ginger ale, red wine. I can enjoy any spirits except tequila, the smell of which instantly makes me retch.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
SAM135iAM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i DCT

Cereal.
For every meal.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Rack of lamb (encrusted with dijon mustard) boneless ribeye steaks, pork rib steaks, pork roast with rosemary and garlic, prime rib, foie gras, a good burger, steak tartare, scallops with bacon and lemon, home made fries and garlic aioli, fresh peas, a good baguette, Soeur Angele cheese, almost anything cooked on a raclette, Mailles cornichons, a true french croissant, duck breast with a cherry port sauce, moules frites, a very dry gin martini made with Bombay Sapphire and a twist, a G&T made with Hendricks gin and Fever Tree tonic water, red wine from pretty much anywhere in the world, a German Riesling.......

oh god where do I stop

Last edited by MightyMouseTech; 08-15-2013 at 03:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
TeinBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Msport, Conv, Tech

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM135iAM View Post
Cereal.
For every meal.
seriously lol???
      08-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
bkbeagle
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i Convertible

For me it would be:

•Meat: Just about anything BBQ, New York Strip with just a hint of pink
•Poultry: Spicy Fried Chicken and Thanksgiving Turkey
•Seafood: Lobster with garlic butter, Fire grilled oysters
•Veggies: corn, sweet potato
•Fruit: cherries, golden delicious apples, bananas
•Breakfast: scrambled eggs and refried beans
•Dessert: Cheesecake of any variety, Snickers Bar
•Cocktail: Bacardi & Coke

2013 335i Mojave Luxury, Dakota Venetian Beige
Cold/Premium Package, NAV, Driver Assist
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

I really enjoy braised or otherwise slow-cooked meats. Lamb shanks come to mind. Baby back pork ribs that have been brined for a long time can come out super soft to the point where the meat is falling off the bone.

I've seen this extra long brining technique implemented beautifully in restaurants but I've never tried it for myself in person.

I'm also a fan of cream-based pastas with a fresh, classically prepared stock as a base. I'm absolutely convinced that the main reason why restaurant quality pasta sauces taste better than home-cooked sauces is because (good) restaurants freshly prepare stock every morning whereas home cooks will typically use store-bought stock or won't use any stock at all.

Edit: I forgot a big one. Risottos! I absolutely love a well-made risotto with a high quality stock and a sharp cheese (cambozola or gouda come to mind). A well-made risotto should run somewhat freely on a plate. It shouldn't be clumpy and dry.

Last edited by NemesisX; 08-15-2013 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
SAM135iAM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeinBMW View Post
seriously lol???
Absolutely! You cannot deny that a bowl of cereal is awesome, anytime of the day!
Really though, I have a very broad palate. I enjoy a plethora of cuisines, from "Lean Cuisine" to fine dining in Spain. I also have a bit of culinary instinct in me as well. I truly enjoy going to the market and purchasing ingredients for a three course meal, preparing, cooking, and then indulge in front of my TV to Top Gear. I just lacked the commitment to type out the foods I desire most with my first post. The irony in how simple cereal is relates to how simple my post was.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 04:32 PM   #8
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a pair of legs

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
•Meat: ribeye cap - tenderness of a filet with the flavor, juiciness, and marbling of a ribeye. bacon, pastrami, and hot dogs
I also smoke my own bbq, mainly st. Louis cut spareribs.
•Poultry: Chinese roast duck that's still pink in the middle, tea smoked duck, and foie gras (too bad its banned here)
•Seafood: shark fin soup with mitten crab roe, Australian shellfish (western rock lobsters and crystal crabs), geoduck, steamed sablefish, raw aji and blue fin tuna
•Veggies: stir fried snow pea sprouts with garlic
•Fruit: peaches, oranges, pears, cantaloupe, honeydew, durian
•Breakfast: perfectly made shrimp dumplings for dim sum
•Dessert: kouign amann, mille feuille/napoleon, and Portuguese egg tarts
•Drinks: hong kong style milk tea, koningshoeven quad, highland park 18 neat

I didn't know where to put this, but I also really love noodles. dan dan noodles are awesome if theres Szechuan peppercorns in them, and I always go to my favorite places for wonton noodle soup and beef noodle soup whenever i'm in hong kong.

Last edited by i dunno; 08-16-2013 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #9
stormzusmc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 15 Jag XFRS, 16 GLA45

beer
bacon
steak
whiskey
dark chocolate
salmon
bacon
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #10
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Rack of lamb, boneless ribeye steaks, pork rib steaks, fois gras, a good burger, steak tartare, scallops with bacon and lemon, home made fries and garlic aioli, fresh peas, a good baguette, Soeur Angele cheese, almost anything cooked on a raclette, Mailles cornichons, a true french croissant, duck breast with a cherry port sauce, moules frites........

oh god where do I stop
Hopefully at the gym.

I like all that stuff too.

You mentioned foie gras (or did your spelling imply a non-anserine variation of it?). That reminds me of a fun party I not too long ago hosted, and since you are clearly a foodie, I thought I'd share.

This event happened two years back round Halloween. I'd recalled that several of my friends and I had, a couple months before, been bemoaning the fact that none of us really wanted to go to another costume party that Halloween season. An idea popped into my head and I told them I'd host something small for us and they wouldn't need costumes.

Taking inspiration from the TV series "Be the Creature," I sent out the invitations for "Be the Buffet" dinner party (8 people). When my friends arrived, they entered a very warm house lit only by candles, some of which were inside elaborately carved pumpkins of various sizes. Lots of sheer fabric in black, gold and sliver was draped all over the pace and moving slowing with the air currents. (I couldn't bring myself to actually having Halloween-types howls and cackling laughs for music, so I just had Enigma, Sarah Brightman's Diva Dance, Moodswings' Moodfood album, and other similar tunes on.) We all had some drinks and munched on appetizers while the chef was finishing, and I announced the party guidelines:
  • You can't use utensils
  • You can't use plates or bowls
  • You can't feed yourself
  • No cell phones
  • No light that wasn't from an open flame
The menu was:
  • Sevruga, St. Andre and Granny Smith slices on cherry perfumed wafers
  • Sliced duck breast tubes stuffed with a bread, pine nuts, lime zest and cherries
  • Foie gras with a lime zested cherry sauce
  • American rack of lamb with a Moroccan glaze and served with leeks and pumpkin purée
  • Sautéed pairs of French beans tied with Serrano ham "string" and topped with bits of sautéed morels
  • Peach zabaione with blueberries and Drambuie
  • Sparkling water, red wine, champagne, gin, tequila, GM Natural Cherry, Cherry liqueur, creme de cassis, and single malt
Given that plates weren't allowed, everyone had to take turns being the buffet for their partner or someone else's partner. As none of us had ever been to a dinner party like this, it took some trial and error to what worked best to eat directly off of a body and what was better fed to you or someone else, but then experimentation was intended. This was among the most successful parties I've hosted. A good time was had by all.

Menu note: To this day, the chef hasn't told me how he managed to slice the ham thin enough to twist it into little strings and tie it in bows around pairs of haricot vert. I also don't know how he got the tubes of duck breast stay rolled as tubes. He was a major factor in the success of the party. Though I invented the dishes, I could never have executed them as well as he.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #11
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
I really enjoy braised or otherwise slow-cooked meats. Lamb shanks come to mind. Baby back pork ribs that have been brined for a long time can come out super soft to the point where the meat is falling off the bone.

I've seen this extra long brining technique implemented beautifully in restaurants but I've never tried it for myself in person.

I'm also a fan of cream-based pastas with a fresh, classically prepared stock as a base. I'm absolutely convinced that the main reason why restaurant quality pasta sauces taste better than home-cooked sauces is because (good) restaurants freshly prepare stock every morning whereas home cooks will typically use store-bought stock or won't use any stock at all.

Edit: I forgot a big one. Risottos! I absolutely love a well-made risotto with a high quality stock and a sharp cheese (cambozola or gouda come to mind). A well-made risotto should run somewhat freely on a plate. It shouldn't be clumpy and dry.
Nothing good got worse because it was brined. I brine my holiday turkey and all large cuts of pork. I haven't done it to beef because I fear it becoming pasty/mushy, but if one has a tendency to overcook beef, brining would help stop that from happening.

I didn't list a starch per se, but I'd pick wild or brown rice and sweet potato before all others. I too love risotto. My favorite is mushroom risotto that I make by substituting mushroom broth for chicken broth. Doing that alters the rice color, but the flavor is insanely good. I like risotto more creamy than dry. I like pasta too, but I like the rice better.

Happy eating.

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #12
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormzusmc View Post
beer
bacon
steak
whiskey
dark chocolate
salmon
bacon
Bacon never made anything taste worse.

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 02:10 AM   #13
hudamang
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Hopefully M4

Meat: Medium rare prime rib or rib cap.
Poultry: Duck
Seafood: Sushi
Veggies: Potatoes count?
Fruit:Watermelon, Permissions, and white peaches.
Breakfast: Crab benedict with some home fries and maybe even a side of chocolate chip pancakes...mimosa.
Dessert: Tres leches cake and some good coffee.
Drink: Aged Barolo, Pinot Noir, Bordeaux blends, Brunello di Montalcino for wine, Pappy bourbon, Watermelon juice...

Anything you guys don't eat? I finally had Balut the other day. Trying to remove stuff from my bucket list of foods to try. Not sure if there's anything I wouldn't try.
      08-16-2013, 06:52 AM   #14
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

I'll try anything ........ twice.

I love watching Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" That guy will try absolutely anything. Some of the best food on the planet is cooked in old oil drums on the side of some dirt road in a third world country.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 06:53 AM   #15
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

tony, that sounds like a fantastic dinner party. Man is it making me hungry. Sounds like a lot of "fun" was had by all. Was there a fishbowl at the front door? HA HA, I keed, I keed.

Yes, I consider myself a foodie, and I love to cook as well.

We are hosting a moules frites competition dinner party tonight. Everybody brings a sauce, and after many, many bottles of wine, and much deliberation, we might even declare a winner.

Last edited by MightyMouseTech; 08-16-2013 at 07:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 08:55 AM   #16
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

For me it would be:

•Meat: Slow roasted pulled pork / Filet / Corned Beef for Reubens
•Poultry: Grilled / Stuffed & Baked / Pulled Usually a curry based dry rub
•Seafood: Lobster Tail with butter / King crab legs with butter / Swordfish
•Veggies: Potatoes Chopped & baked like home fries / Broccoli / Sweet Corn on the Stalk
•Fruit: Raspberries / Strawberries / Blackberries / Star Fruit
•Breakfast: Eggs over medium / Hash Browns / Blueberry Bagel w/ whipped cream cheese
•Dessert: Do not eat Dessert, maybe cheesecake or crème brulè
•Cocktail: Walker Blue Label on the rocks
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #17
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Damm you guys are making me HUNGRY!!! And its about time this thread got some pictures!!!

Ok, here is my List:

1). Schaufele aus Franken...
Name:  Schäufele.JPG
Views: 1781
Size:  174.6 KB

2). Sauer braten
Name:  sauerbraten.jpg
Views: 1751
Size:  213.8 KB

3). Nürnberg-er bratwurst

Name:  bratwurst  4898755531_282a968e30.jpg
Views: 1772
Size:  122.3 KB
Name:  bratwurst  NurnburgerBrAT.jpg
Views: 1749
Size:  47.7 KB

4). Kase-spaetzle a speciality from Süd Deutschland...

Name:  kase-spaetzle-1.jpeg
Views: 1789
Size:  102.3 KB

and of course you need some fine German Beer to drink!
Name:  Bier  8505030934_24ecc34f26_z.jpg
Views: 1752
Size:  205.7 KB

Name:  bier  mood_weissbier_natur.jpg
Views: 1912
Size:  117.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #18
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudamang View Post
Meat: Medium rare prime rib or rib cap.

Anything you guys don't eat? I finally had Balut the other day. Trying to remove stuff from my bucket list of foods to try. Not sure if there's anything I wouldn't try.
Absolutely will not eat foods: not many, but...
  • Fugu - not worth the risk; never have eaten it.
  • Oysters - I just don't like them; tried it repeatedly - I'm done.
  • Fermented tofu - The single worst thing that's ever been in my mouth. It smells like ass; it tastes like ass. I have no choice but to smell it every time I'm in the PRC because there's a dude who's right outside my hotel with a portable cooker selling it. I was at a restaurant with friends and I finally broke down and tasted a tiny piece the size of an aspirin. Never again! It was so bad I can taste it even now just writing about it and it's making my face scrunch up in disgust! If this is on your culinary bucket list, take it off! Trust me.

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 10:47 AM   #19
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormzusmc View Post
beer
bacon
steak
whiskey
dark chocolate
salmon
bacon
nailed it. i would add ice cream, carmel and peanutbutter, pizza and burritos.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|

Last edited by 1MOREMOD; 08-18-2013 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #20
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'll try anything ........ twice.
I don't think that's actually true....As long as the penalty for losing isn't having to eat some, I'd bet you won't eat fermented tofu (aka chou doufu or stinky tofu) twice. But hey, give it a shot and see what you think.

FWIW, I suspect there might be someone formerly out there who thought that too until they ate the wrong fugu once.

Quote:
...Some of the best food on the planet is cooked in old oil drums on the side of some dirt road in a third world country.
+1
(One of the very few things over which I try to comply with being PC: I think of them as "developing nations" rather than "third world")

Have you traveled to any such places? For me Central America China and India are the only places I've been that have that sort of thing going on.

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #21
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Oh we forgot the obvious, poutine!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #22
catherineanh