BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      12-08-2019, 07:03 AM   #1
rexpontius
Rep
Drives: BMW 650xi GC 2013

CIC to NBT EVO options

Hi guys,

I just purchased an NBT EVO unit including the screen and new-style idrive controller out of a 2018 F06.

Im investigating what options I have to upgrade my 2013 F06 650xi which still has the CIC system.

Bimmerretrofit offers an emulator that works for pretty much all options I have on my car, but if I understand correctly I will lose HUD functionality (which I would really miss).

Also I found that carsystems.com.ua offers emulator modules.

Can anyone advice on what the best route is for this upgrade ?

Cheers
Michel
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 10:41 AM   #2
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
You could definitely get by without using an adaptor if you're comfortable with some wiring work. What bimmer retrofit doesn't say is that the 6er has some oddities that make features not work with their adapter. Check out my thread on the CIC tot NBT retrofit I did.

As for EVO I believe you may also need new antennas as well as a new AMP because the older one will cause an echo on Bluetooth calls.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 10:43 AM   #3
rexpontius
Rep
Drives: BMW 650xi GC 2013

Thanks!
I am not afraid to do some wiring work, but do need some guidance :-)
Can you give me some more info on what I should / should not do?

cheers!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 08:05 AM   #4
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

if you are upgrading to NBT evo from CIC, the basics you need are the head unit, ATM module, touch controller, touch module, new appropriate antenna, a couple MOST fiber optic terminations, and a wiring harness adapter. the way i have been learning about my retrofit is by analyzing what pins are actually being used by the car and what the head unit is doing. more than half of the pins in the back of the head unit are unused. most all communication goes through the CAN bus system and MOST. the audio amp does not need to be changed. but you will need to introduce fiber optic loops at the ZGW interface and combox interface. i went with bimmer-tech.net which really has incredible support, and would know way more than i would about the coding aspect, but the physical wiring of it is in my opinion tedious however easy.

you can get the quadlock connectors off of amazon and the 16 pin connector that goes into the quadlock from amazon as well. it takes a while but its able to be sourced thankfully. I also recommend you get a short MOST fiber optic cable in order to extend the factor harness cable. it is rather short when adding in a plug and play harness and so adding in the extra 1-3 feet of harness is very nice. just dont make any hard bends in it. you could look the excess somewhere behind the dash. I am currently making a harness just to see how difficult it really is, hopefully i will be done in January once all my harness parts arrive.

again the basic functions of the radio are 12V, ACC, GND and Can+/- for this car. The rest of the battle is coding it in. thankfully everything in the CAN network is in parallel, which makes life a little easier.
Appreciate 0