BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      11-30-2019, 04:35 PM   #1
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Who owns a Jeep Cherokee Trackhawk?

Anyone own one? I just went and test drove one and sweet baby jesus the power is insane...feel like I probably need to acquire one of these beasts now.
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3572.50
      11-30-2019, 04:41 PM   #2
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
Anyone own one? I just went and test drove one and sweet baby jesus the power is insane...feel like I probably need to acquire one of these beasts now.
I love a good "sweet baby jesus", can I get an Amen?

Haven't driven one but have lurked.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 06:32 PM   #3
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
I own an SRT version. Different engine, but similar chassis/steering.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 07:48 PM   #4
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
Are you buying or leasing?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 08:02 PM   #5
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post
Are you buying or leasing?
Im sure the lease numbers are awful so I’d probably buy if I got one
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 08:33 AM   #6
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
Not a TH, but I have a Hellcat. I say DO IT NOW!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 09:08 AM   #7
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Roundel View Post
I own an SRT version. Different engine, but similar chassis/steering.
I'll be interested to hear some more feedback on this. We're not looking to buy one now, but I think we'll eventually be getting one for the wife. We had a 2015 GC Limited with all the bells and whistles and I think it's time for an upgrade. Really don't think I can talk her into a TrackHawk, though
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 09:46 AM   #8
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
I'll be interested to hear some more feedback on this. We're not looking to buy one now, but I think we'll eventually be getting one for the wife. We had a 2015 GC Limited with all the bells and whistles and I think it's time for an upgrade. Really don't think I can talk her into a TrackHawk, though
Take her for a test drive in one, she'll either be sold or tell you she's never getting in that thing again
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2019, 10:09 AM   #9
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Take her for a test drive in one, she'll either be sold or tell you she's never getting in that thing again
Pretty sure it will be the latter

SRT can be our "compromise."
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 10:17 AM   #10
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Pretty sure it will be the latter

SRT can be our "compromise."
I had a 2015 GC High Altitude before the M2C, and I was dead set on upgrading to an SRT. I have driven a few, and they're awesome. Some days I wish I had gotten it over the M2, for the daily-ability/practicality/tow options of it.
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2019, 10:19 AM   #11
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have mixed thoughts on this rig. We bought it because there was a need to get something that can tow, something my wife was comfortable driving, and something respectable that we could put people in the back of (our dog destroyed the back seat area of our Tucson and the M3 is a coupe, so not great for back seat ingress/egress). The Jeep fit the bill nicely on all of those, plus the performance was a nice feature. I simply couldn't get into a base-ish X5, Cayanne, or GLE, given what you get in the Jeep for a similar price. Truth be told, if VW still sold the Touareg in the US, I probably would have opted for one of those.

I've had the vehicle for about a year and here are my thoughts. I hate the so called safety-aids. They're distracting and potentially dangerous as the car will apply the brakes when I'm not expecting them. We got the upgraded HK stereo which to me is only ok. Some songs sound really good, others are horrible depending on how much bass is in the song. The ride could be considered a bit bouncy, but you can toss this 5400 lbs pig around turns and have some fun (depending on how you drive it, it will either understeer or oversteer through turns). The steering is pretty dull if you're expecting anything resembling feel---but it's a jeep, so I'm not expecting a lot. The transmission is pretty smooth in regular mode and upshifts using the paddles are pretty quick. Downshifting into certain gears in sport mode can be pretty clunky, so I'm not happy about that. If you leave it in normal mode, all is good though. The engine---yeah, it's a beast. Plenty of power and launch control is a great party trick. And it tows my corrado effortlessly. Also, I really dig the brakes.

I will say this, I got a ride in a Trackhawk and the guy driving it booted it from like 5 mph and I didn't find it to feel wildly faster than the SRT. I know it's like a second quicker to 60, so it's definitely faster, but it didn't feel that way to me. I was really quite surprised as I was expecting a different experience. And as I found out last week, I was able to keep up nicely with a c7 corvette (non Z06/Zr1, of course) on the highway. I very briefly considered a trackhawk---and if the deal was right, I might have gone for it. But I didn't want to spend >$80k on a Jeep.

The best way I have of describing the overall experience is that it's a muscle SUV. It's got a lot of features and is pretty well made, but it's not going to give you the luxury car feel that a luxury brand is associated with. Despite its faults, it's just a really charming vehicle. It reminds me a bit of why I was obsessed with VWs back in the day. They were just nice driving cars for what they were and compared with other vehicles of a similar price.
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2019, 10:32 AM   #12
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
I had a 2015 GC High Altitude before the M2C, and I was dead set on upgrading to an SRT. I have driven a few, and they're awesome. Some days I wish I had gotten it over the M2, for the daily-ability/practicality/tow options of it.
Quote:
I have mixed thoughts on this rig. We bought it because there was a need to get something that can tow, something my wife was comfortable driving, and something respectable that we could put people in the back of (our dog destroyed the back seat area of our Tucson and the M3 is a coupe, so not great for back seat ingress/egress). The Jeep fit the bill nicely on all of those, plus the performance was a nice feature. I simply couldn't get into a base-ish X5, Cayanne, or GLE, given what you get in the Jeep for a similar price. Truth be told, if VW still sold the Touareg in the US, I probably would have opted for one of those.

I've had the vehicle for about a year and here are my thoughts. I hate the so called safety-aids. They're distracting and potentially dangerous as the car will apply the brakes when I'm not expecting them. We got the upgraded HK stereo which to me is only ok. Some songs sound really good, others are horrible depending on how much bass is in the song. The ride could be considered a bit bouncy, but you can toss this 5400 lbs pig around turns and have some fun (depending on how you drive it, it will either understeer or oversteer through turns). The steering is pretty dull if you're expecting anything resembling feel---but it's a jeep, so I'm not expecting a lot. The transmission is pretty smooth in regular mode and upshifts using the paddles are pretty quick. Downshifting into certain gears in sport mode can be pretty clunky, so I'm not happy about that. If you leave it in normal mode, all is good though. The engine---yeah, it's a beast. Plenty of power and launch control is a great party trick. And it tows my corrado effortlessly. Also, I really dig the brakes.

I will say this, I got a ride in a Trackhawk and the guy driving it booted it from like 5 mph and I didn't find it to feel wildly faster than the SRT. I know it's like a second quicker to 60, so it's definitely faster, but it didn't feel that way to me. I was really quite surprised as I was expecting a different experience. And as I found out last week, I was able to keep up nicely with a c7 corvette (non Z06/Zr1, of course) on the highway. I very briefly considered a trackhawk---and if the deal was right, I might have gone for it. But I didn't want to spend >$80k on a Jeep.

The best way I have of describing the overall experience is that it's a muscle SUV. It's got a lot of features and is pretty well made, but it's not going to give you the luxury car feel that a luxury brand is associated with. Despite its faults, it's just a really charming vehicle. It reminds me a bit of why I was obsessed with VWs back in the day. They were just nice driving cars for what they were and compared with other vehicles of a similar price.
Thanks for the feedback. Honestly the only reason we've been tossing the idea is because she likes being higher in the road and would prefer an SUV. I personally want to get a 3 series wagon for her so we can have a car and little better gas mileage for the trips, but time will tell. We don't need the towing and all; we've got a Gladiator Rubicon that's more than capable for our needs. If we "gotta" get the SUV, it might as well be a fun one.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 02:54 PM   #13
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Honestly the only reason we've been tossing the idea is because she likes being higher in the road and would prefer an SUV. I personally want to get a 3 series wagon for her so we can have a car and little better gas mileage for the trips, but time will tell. We don't need the towing and all; we've got a Gladiator Rubicon that's more than capable for our needs. If we "gotta" get the SUV, it might as well be a fun one.
Yeah about the wagon, my wife would divorce me if I came home with one of those. I've showed her all manner of e63 and RS6 avant, both in person and in pics, and she's offended by the general wagon form. Doesn't matter if it's a small wagon or a large one. So for us, that was a no-go. I would have searched high and low for an e63 wagon if that option was on the table.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 04:16 PM   #14
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah about the wagon, my wife would divorce me if I came home with one of those. I've showed her all manner of e63 and RS6 avant, both in person and in pics, and she's offended by the general wagon form. Doesn't matter if it's a small wagon or a large one. So for us, that was a no-go. I would have searched high and low for an e63 wagon if that option was on the table.
A used E63 may not be a bad get. Hmm...

RS6 would be the lottery car for me. Too rich for my blood!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 04:25 PM   #15
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

While the drivetrain is definitely impressive, don't overlook the fact that it's a Chrysler product and probably won't age well. For some this isn't a concern, but I could see those that have higher expectations being disappointed once the wow factor wears off.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 08:48 PM   #16
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
While the drivetrain is definitely impressive, don't overlook the fact that it's a Chrysler product and probably won't age well. For some this isn't a concern, but I could see those that have higher expectations being disappointed once the wow factor wears off.
Jeep GC SRT's have a great track record for "aging" well and retaining their value...better residual % than virtually all BMWs. Trackhawks will be like Hellcats and will not be made forever. There will be a demand for a long time.
Appreciate 1
swanson733.00
      12-07-2019, 07:28 AM   #17
e90alpinem3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

My boss has both a hellcat and trackhawk. Sounds amazing under load and I like the exterior look. Issue for me is the interior is ehhh the "upgraded" sound system is awful the tech is just standard. Goes fast in a straight line but my cayenne s with 150k+mi has tighter handling.

Spending so much time on the inside of the car I would rather have a nicer cabin than just straight line performance.

However car does sound amazing and the acceleration feels faster than my m5 but when we roll race I own him in either hellcat or trackhawk.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 07:58 AM   #18
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

my wife and i recently got a 2017 GC "trail hawk." it has the hemi and 8 speed. its a pretty cool truck and is going to serve as a tow rig. it will never see dirt. i actually really like it (surprised) and certainly wouldn't mind about 700hp lol.
      12-07-2019, 08:37 AM   #19
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
Jeep GC SRT's have a great track record for "aging" well and retaining their value...better residual % than virtually all BMWs. Trackhawks will be like Hellcats and will not be made forever. There will be a demand for a long time.
I was referring more to interior design and quality.

And I believe folks are over-hyping the value and desirability of these cars moving forward for that reason.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 01:49 AM   #20
fastboatster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90alpinem3 View Post
My boss has both a hellcat and trackhawk. Sounds amazing under load and I like the exterior look. Issue for me is the interior is ehhh the "upgraded" sound system is awful the tech is just standard. Goes fast in a straight line but my cayenne s with 150k+mi has tighter handling.

Spending so much time on the inside of the car I would rather have a nicer cabin than just straight line performance.

However car does sound amazing and the acceleration feels faster than my m5 but when we roll race I own him in either hellcat or trackhawk.
Would like to compare how much money it'll require at 150kmiles vs Cayenne. Curious how the Cayenne is holding up at 150kmiles
Appreciate 0