BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

11-21-2019, 03:34 PM   #1
Superfluous
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe

Help... Dealer isn't making sense on a fix.

I bought my car about 6 months ago. A few weeks later I received an Engine Coolant Level low warning. I took it in and got it refilled. A month later, it happened again. Every few weeks it's been happening and I've been getting it refilled until it started happening just a week after refilling. To be clear, this is the main engine coolant.

I took the car into the dealer and they ran a free pressure test for me. They told me no leaks were found for the main engine coolant (which is what I've had to refill every few weeks) but that the turbo coolant line had a leak in it.

They want me to fix the turbo coolant line... but I don't see how that would fix my issue where I'm constantly having to refill the main engine coolant. They don't seem to see the flaw in the logic. Does this make sense to anyone?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 04:01 PM   #2
NorthCountryGuy
The Quiet One
Rep
Drives: M6, E70, E71

Garage List
2013 X6 M  [0.00]
2013 M6  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i Spo ...  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i  [0.00]
This states there are two cooling circuits. One for engine, and one for chargers.

‘newTIS.infobeta
Home / BMW F13 M6 Coupe / Electrical Components / Connectors / Components / Components with M / M253 Coolant pump in low-temperature coolant circuit /
Coolant pump in low-temperature coolant circuit

Due to the turbocharging and the compact arrangement of the exhaust turbochargers, a large amount of heat is generated. Great importance is attributed to the cooling accordingly. In addition, an indirect charge air cooling was developed for the first time with which the charge air is cooled via an air/coolant heat exchanger. The engine cooling and charge air cooling have two separate cooling circuits. The engine control unit is also integrated in the cooling circuit for the charge air cooling.
Functional description

The electrical coolant pump works according to the principle of a centrifugal pump. The coolant pump is integrated in the cooling circuit (low temperature) and is used for the charge air cooling. Communication from the coolant pump to the engine control is effected via local interconnect network bus. The speed specification and the read-out of the current pump speed, as well as other pump values, are realised.

The following values are used for the activation:

Ambient temperature
Difference between charge air temperature and ambient temperature‘

It looks like there is one pump.
I hope the Wise chime in as I too am interested to learn more on this.
2013 X6 M Sapphire Black Metallic / Black Merino \ Carbon Fiber - Son’s
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 05:56 PM   #3
spikespiegel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 comp

Garage List
so filling in thru the main coolant port refills the whole system correct? Theres no separate 'fill' area for charge air?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 09:11 PM   #4
Superfluous
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikespiegel View Post
so filling in thru the main coolant port refills the whole system correct? Theres no separate 'fill' area for charge air?
There are 2 tanks. One for the main engine and one for the turbos.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 09:09 AM   #5
xxTHIR13ENxx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

I found THIS THREAD very helpful.
I just went to my local auto store and purchased BMW-approved coolant (for later-year European vehicles). Topped off whichever was low (actually did both tanks), and message went away.

Good luck!
- Leo.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 11:06 AM   #6
spikespiegel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 comp

Garage List
I can't find the turbo tank, can you help me locate where it is? I just see the main coolant port, which is topped off. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 11:54 AM   #7
Superfluous
Private
Rep

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 01:07 PM   #8
xxTHIR13ENxx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikespiegel View Post
I can't find the turbo tank, can you help me locate where it is? I just see the main coolant port, which is topped off. Thanks!
Did you check the thread I linked?
There's an image with two circles, a red one and a blue one.

Another diagram (see #5 and #7):
Appreciate 2
      11-22-2019, 01:10 PM   #9
xxTHIR13ENxx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous View Post
I think this makes sense.
The turbo lines are leaking, so you'll always have that warning message. The engine lines are fine, but because the turbos are running extra hot, the engine will need extra coolant from its own reservoir to cool itself down.

Thus the statement "engine coolant will become low over time".
I think.

Still, they are two separate systems, but you need both to work so the engine bay as a whole is cooled.
I would recommend repairing the turbo leak as soon as possible.
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2019, 02:35 PM   #10
Superfluous
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxTHIR13ENxx View Post
I think this makes sense.
The turbo lines are leaking, so you'll always have that warning message. The engine lines are fine, but because the turbos are running extra hot, the engine will need extra coolant from its own reservoir to cool itself down.

Thus the statement "engine coolant will become low over time".
I think.

Still, they are two separate systems, but you need both to work so the engine bay as a whole is cooled.
I would recommend repairing the turbo leak as soon as possible.

But they said the engine coolant warning only comes up for the engine, not the turbo. And I've been having to refill the engine coolant one several times.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 02:42 PM   #11
NorthCountryGuy
The Quiet One
Rep
Drives: M6, E70, E71

Garage List
2013 X6 M  [0.00]
2013 M6  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i Spo ...  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
But they said the engine coolant warning only comes up for the engine, not the turbo. And I've been having to refill the engine coolant one several times.
There are two systems but they share the same pump. There is likely some diverter apparatus. I leak in one could (and is) effecting the other.
2013 X6 M Sapphire Black Metallic / Black Merino \ Carbon Fiber - Son’s
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 03:40 PM   #12
xxTHIR13ENxx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Have you looked into the turbo reservoir?
If you're topping off the engine tank but haven't looked at the turbo, it's possible that one is way low..

Another thing to try: top off both tanks and see if the message goes away. It might, but then (knowing we have a leak), it would come back on. Perhaps longer than a week's time now.

Still, knowing that the dealer diagnosed a leak in your turbo lines, I would get that repaired right away. Then top off both tanks with coolant.

- Leo.
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2019, 05:35 PM   #13
litz4244
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m6gc

There is so much wrong info in this thread. There are two separate cooling systems. One is for the engine which includes the turbo coolant line and everything else engine related. That system is the high temp system which has a level indicator. So If the lines are leaking that's why your getting the low coolant message. The low temp system is for the intercoolers and intercoolers only. The level is not monitored. They are separate circuits.
ep322.50
      11-28-2019, 12:29 PM   #14
ep3
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335i and 14 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by litz4244 View Post
There is so much wrong info in this thread. There are two separate cooling systems. One is for the engine which includes the turbo coolant line and everything else engine related. That system is the high temp system which has a level indicator. So If the lines are leaking that's why your getting the low coolant message. The low temp system is for the intercoolers and intercoolers only. The level is not monitored. They are separate circuits.
This is the only right answer. This car has 4 coolant pumps. 3 are electric and one is conventional. The conventional one is only for engine cooling. 1 electric is for the turbos and cooling them after the engine has shut off. The other two are on an entirely different circuit and used for the charge air intercoolers. The s63 engine document explains this in great detail starting on page 48 which I uploaded.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf S63TU-engine-manual.pdf (2.82 MB, 344 views)
Appreciate 1
Whipple260.50
      12-03-2019, 04:54 PM   #15
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ep3 View Post
This is the only right answer. This car has 4 coolant pumps. 3 are electric and one is conventional. The conventional one is only for engine cooling. 1 electric is for the turbos and cooling them after the engine has shut off. The other two are on an entirely different circuit and used for the charge air intercoolers. The s63 engine document explains this in great detail starting on page 48 which I uploaded.
Thanks for the manual but there is 4 electric pumps and 1 conventional
1 for the passenger compartment heating
1 for the exhaust side on the turbochargers
2 for each heat exchanger+DMEs
1 conventional for the engine
Thats a total of 5
2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 1
ep322.50
      12-04-2019, 12:06 AM   #16
castlesteve
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Coupe, 2017 X5M

correct - 5 pumps. and BMW usually has a method for running the pumps for self priming and bleeding air. I know my X3 did where I had to press the accel pedal for 30 seconds with car in acc and the elec pumps turn on for filling and bleeding

+
Appreciate 0