BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches

03-14-2014, 09:51 PM   #1
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Cool Comparo - IWC Ingy v. Omega AT + Something that makes you go hmmm...

I'm just now catching up on my reading as I guess you can tell by my posts. So I found this and figured it'd be something of interest to folks who like Omega and IWC, two really great watch makers who offer products that slot right in with the BMW-type vibe.

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/watch-sh...-terra-8500-2/

I just found the article just now and haven't read it yet. I like both the watches being compared. I like them both and if the Omega has a black or blue dial, it's done deal before I even get to considering the merits of the two watches at a detailed level.

One thing I know and that's a pretty important factor for me with mainstream watches is that the Ingy has ETA inside and the AT has the co-axial movement inside, presumably the 8500 and not the 2500. (If it is the last version of the 2500, it'd be slam dunk...Omega on price alone.) I mentioned the movements because though the Omega is probably going to be a tad less costly to buy, two service intervals (8 years) in will likely eat up any savings, perhaps even just one service could do that.

I'm not stingy with my service dollars, but who want's to pay more to keep a watch running? I sure don't. Another thing that comes to mind for me is that I'm on the road all the time, usually on a circuit that finds me going to the same places multiple times a year. I like that with ETA inside, I can drop off a watch at a local watchmaker's shop and pick it up when I return, no matter where I am in the world. With the Omega, I'd have to send it to Omega and then have them send it to my home as there's no predicting where I'll be when they finish with it.

That's minor on the scale of "hassles" but that's the way my life works so, in a somewhat pricey, but otherwise standard sort of general purpose watch, the less hassle the better. Maybe I've got things backwards, but the less I pay for a watch, the more I expect it to be easy to live with and deal with. Most middle to low price makers get that sort of concept.

Now if only the folks who make the expensive ones that come with a bit of "bragging rights" would get with the program and figure out that folks who will spend a lot of money don't necessarily want to spend a lot time "dealing" with watch issues. Hmmm....what a bizarre concept...the more you pay the more convenient it should be to use the thing.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0