BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Closed Thread

12-30-2020, 02:29 PM   #45
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fined View Post
I'm in no way European. I was born in the midwest and lived all over the US. Big cities like Atlanta and Miami, and smaller places like Louisville and Pensacola. But do please tell us all more about how you know me.
Sorry, I've corrected.

LOL. Have to love when Americans have this misinformed attitude towards the USA.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 7
MKSixer34173.50
gjm1202181.50
RickFLM410954.50
F30lolz6798.50
Doctor_X1158.00
      12-30-2020, 02:31 PM   #46
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneya View Post
This is a funny response from someone whose reaction is "oh they might kill me with their bicycles - I have to respond by pulling out a gun". The bicyclists must have seen it exactly the same way: "oh I got lucky and it's a bloody lip, but what he did could've easily killed me".

Note, that I'm not implying that either of the above reactions is smart. Both are dumb.
you obviously missed my sarcasm, that the kids instigated the contact, Dr. responded, kid wrecks, and the mobs response was justified.

and no, the two feet through the front windshield would have been my bigger concern (to be fair I would have never stopped in that scenario and would not have needed to worry about how to respond to attack, yes I would have beeped rolling through red light..see issue avoided)
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 02:31 PM   #47
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Sorry, I've corrected.

LOL. Have to love when Americans have this misinformed attitude towards the USA.
You say he's misinformed but in what way? The statement was simple but it says nothing.
      12-30-2020, 02:34 PM   #48
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
You say he's misinformed but in what way? The statement was simple but it says nothing.
"It's a picture perfect example of US foreign policy. Escalation and intimidation. Pathetic."

The above is a statement from a misinformed person.

I'm not going to write a thesis paper on it it. No worries.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34173.50
      12-30-2020, 02:36 PM   #49
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC, '14 X1 35i M sport

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Hockey4 View Post
you obviously missed my sarcasm, that the kids instigated the contact, Dr. responded, kid wrecks, and the mobs response was justified.

and no, the two feet through the front windshield would have been my bigger concern
Are you sure you understood what I wrote? With your "sarcasm" you were implying that the kids' actions were wrong, and I'm pointing out that what you suggested in the beginning is wrong in the same way. Both are bad disproportional responses that can only make the situation worse.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 02:36 PM   #50
Fined
ghost user
Rep
Drives: M2 | 997 GTS

Quote:
Sorry, I've corrected.

You, or someone else disagreeing does not make the someone misinformed. You can disagree with me, I can disagree with you.. that does not, in itself, make someone misinformed. I get it, the US education system is quite bad.

Different people have different experiences of the same event, or series of events. That also does not make a person misinformed.

You're saying that word, but I think it does not mean what you think it means.
Appreciate 2
Noneya251.50
Skoidat69280.00
      12-30-2020, 02:40 PM   #51
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You, or someone else disagreeing does not make the someone misinformed. You can disagree with me, I can disagree with you.. that does not, in itself, make someone misinformed. I get it, the US education system is quite bad.

Different people have different experiences of the same event, or series of events. That also does not make a person misinformed.

You're saying that word, but I think it does not mean what you think it means.
Like I said, I'm not going to write a thesis paper on it. But the US Foreign policy when looked at in the whole, even as far back as Jefferson's time, has not been, and is not "pathetic". I was educated long before the internet existed and long before the Left sunk their teeth into the US Education system.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34173.50
      12-30-2020, 02:43 PM   #52
Fined
ghost user
Rep
Drives: M2 | 997 GTS

Quote:
Like I said, I'm not going to write a thesis paper on it. But the US Foreign policy when looked at in the whole, even as far back as Jefferson's time, has not been, and is not "pathetic".
Surely that depends on who you ask. Someone from the US who depends on the military for a meal ticket because they cannot get a real job, well they might think its all good.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 02:54 PM   #53
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Surely that depends on who you ask. Someone from the US who depends on the military for a meal ticket because they cannot get a real job, well they might think its all good.
That's right, everything is situational and perspective-based; there are no absolutes.

Go with that; it will work well for you.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34173.50
      12-30-2020, 02:59 PM   #54
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Lots of trolling going on in here.

If I feel you are threatening my safety or my wife's safety and it is not clear to me how far it will go - I agree - drive off if the kids get hurt that's THEIR fault for picking a fight with a damn SUV.

These are absolutely the kinds of teens who have not been taught to respect others. Period.

Regardless of if the score is settled, karma is a b*tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 7
Efthreeoh17199.00
MKSixer34173.50
JP102463.00
Smgs1992720.00
gjm1202181.50
RickFLM410954.50
F30lolz6798.50
      12-30-2020, 03:06 PM   #55
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Hockey4 View Post
I did, not sure you understood what I wrote.

Someone else mentioned the public scrutiny of such actions way worse, and as we see by this thread, is acceptable. I'd probably deserve it, no ?

Less police, less society wants us to protect ourselves and our property ? I mean get rid of 2A yes ?

How do you think that ends ?

(how is this thread still around ?)
You've now succeeded in making me scratch my head. I can see you have strong feelings, but the logic is lacking.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 03:30 PM   #56
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Like I said, I'm not going to write a thesis paper on it. But the US Foreign policy when looked at in the whole, even as far back as Jefferson's time, has not been, and is not "pathetic". I was educated long before the internet existed and long before the Left sunk their teeth into the US Education system.
No need to write a thesis. This about covers it: "The Declaration specifically mentions three rights which human beings possess by birth or by nature-life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. No one may rightfully deny us these things. Nor, since they are "unalienable," may we rightfully surrender them."

2 and possibly 3 of these liberties are being violated or in potential violation depending on the escalation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Lots of trolling going on in here.

If I feel you are threatening my safety or my wife's safety and it is not clear to me how far it will go - I agree - drive off if the kids get hurt that's THEIR fault for picking a fight with a damn SUV.

These are absolutely the kinds of teens who have not been taught to respect others. Period.

Regardless of if the score is settled, karma is a b*tch.
This. And I might add that the determination of danger or potential thereof, can only be made, solely, by the target of the danger/potential danger.

I love the Monday morning quarterbacks saying they'd calmly drive away in a slow manner so no one would be hurt. Try that while someone is air-mailing themselves through your windshield and let me know how it goes.

As for me, I'm driving off at a speed commensurate to get me safely away without regard to the assailants. And that is what they are, assailants. All bets are off when my life or that of my friends and family...hell, even an innocent stranger are threatened by roving bands of thugs.

Disgraceful.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 7
RickFLM410954.50
Dpc2u11503.00
F30lolz6798.50
Efthreeoh17199.00
      12-30-2020, 03:35 PM   #57
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYANiDE View Post
Welcome to NYC. These young teens usually are out on bicycles in large groups 25+ (have seen some over 100) and they ride around like they own the streets. The smart thing to do is just let them do their thing, pull over, stop etc cuz they have nothing to lose. ..
We have them in DC as well. And yeah, as pathetic as it sounds, the best course of action is to ignore, retreat or whatever else to avoid any kind of confrontation - there's nothing to gain and everything to lose, unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 03:36 PM   #58
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
I love the Monday morning quarterbacks saying they'd calmly drive away in a slow manner so no one would be hurt. Try that while someone is air-mailing themselves through your windshield and let me know how it goes.
I agree - reality happens fast. But when you're coaching from the couch and still think you have to run people over or start shooting - you're doing it wrong.
Appreciate 1
Fined243.00
      12-30-2020, 03:57 PM   #59
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
And I might add that the determination of danger or potential thereof, can only be made, solely, by the target of the danger/potential danger.
This is nonsense. Your evaluation of danger could be so terrible that you'd start shooting at people for looking at you "wrong".
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 04:06 PM   #60
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

This is the stupid thread I've read in awhile, but it sums up this country/society nicely. and why I left almost all internet sites/media

Protecting myself/family is a human right, a law in this country, and doesn't need a troll thread on a car forum to armchair or justify. 2 feet through my front windshield is enough threat.

I hope no one commenting ever has to endure such a horror
Appreciate 3
MKSixer34173.50
Dpc2u11503.00
      12-30-2020, 04:18 PM   #61
E92inNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

If I’m in my car minding my own business and this happened out of the blue, I should have every right to pull out my gun to defend myself. Seen too many videos of people getting pulled of of their car and getting beaten by groups of bikers, etc. All the more reason for dashcams to help prove I’d be acting in self defense.
Appreciate 2
Smgs1992720.00
MKSixer34173.50
      12-30-2020, 04:23 PM   #62
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

to all the people saying theyd be calm and would just sit there and take it, have you not seen the hundreds of videos of these sort of things escalating and people getting dragged out of their cars and beaten to a pulp?

people try to drive away slowly, one of the thugs feels like they are trying to run them over, and the thugs start pulling people out of the car.

If youre fine with letting you or your wife/kids getting drug out and beaten, thats your prerogative, but most sane people arent.

its not about being cruel or violent or being a SJW and caring about their wellbeing. its about protecting yourself and your family. These thugs obviously have no care for your wellbeing.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 9
Smgs1992720.00
MKSixer34173.50
E92inNC1709.50
RickFLM410954.50
Dpc2u11503.00
F30lolz6798.50
      12-30-2020, 05:05 PM   #63
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneya View Post
This is nonsense. Your evaluation of danger could be so terrible that you'd start shooting at people for looking at you "wrong".
Nonsense, no. It's the actual law. Look it up.

And it seems that all of them are over the age of 13 which means that they are responsible for their own actions.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.

Last edited by MKSixer; 12-30-2020 at 05:11 PM..
Appreciate 2
E92inNC1709.50
Dpc2u11503.00
      12-30-2020, 05:39 PM   #64
E92inNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
to all the people saying theyd be calm and would just sit there and take it, have you not seen the hundreds of videos of these sort of things escalating and people getting dragged out of their cars and beaten to a pulp?

people try to drive away slowly, one of the thugs feels like they are trying to run them over, and the thugs start pulling people out of the car.

If youre fine with letting you or your wife/kids getting drug out and beaten, thats your prerogative, but most sane people arent.

its not about being cruel or violent or being a SJW and caring about their wellbeing. its about protecting yourself and your family. These thugs obviously have no care for your wellbeing.
The first thing that came to my mind was all the videos in recent years of people being dragged out of their cars and getting beaten unconscious in the middle of the street/highway in broad daylight, left with broken bones, based in skull, long term effects or possible death. In a group it’s much more likely things will escalate quickly vs 1-on-1 due to mob mentality. And as someone mentioned before, any movement from the car no matter how slow will be perceived as you trying to drive over people trying to get away and the chances of them breaking the window dragging you out goes way up.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34173.50
      12-30-2020, 05:56 PM   #65
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

1. Best option you can tick the box on when ordering a new BMW is the Drive Recorder.

2. Up-armored kits will proliferate if these types of attacks continue unabated. Over the last 20 years I've already seen an exponential increase in the number of companies offering a variety of tiers of armoring options. In other countries where auto theft is more rampant, more extreme countermeasures (offensive rather than defensive / active rather than passive) are common. I pray we don't get to that point in the US, because if and when we do it means another dynamic will likely come into play shortly after.

3. Without getting too political here, that other dynamic is guns vs bombs. There was a time in the US where small bombings were far more common. I'd rather not return to that with modern technologies and knowledge. In other countries, explosives are used in lieu of guns fairly often. The damage one can do with a bomb vs a gun is orders of magnitude greater and far less discriminatory. Far more people will be hurt.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 05:58 PM   #66
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
I lived in the US for 38 years. All over the US. I'm not confused about anything there or not getting the context. I do get it.

It's not your job, or my job, or anything elses job to teach strangers a lesson.
I'm tired of a lot of things too. That doesn't somehow morph into being a vigilante. Nor does it morph into coming up with stories about how so and so "might have done xyz next".

Being tired of something is not a free pass to start physically harming people who lack home training. I do see problems with how youth are behaving. I see worse problems with how the grown ups are behaving. I see a lot of privileged folks looking for any opportunity they can get to intimidate others with weapons, or using the police as a weapon.

Someone commented previously they would flash their piece in order to resolve a situation. It's a picture perfect example of US foreign policy. Escalation and intimidation. Pathetic.
We get it. You didn’t like it, you left. Based on your responses I’d rather live in an entire country of what we have versus a continent with one of you. Continue to live life elsewhere. It’s best.
Appreciate 5
six75LT916.50
MKSixer34173.50
Dpc2u11503.00
Doctor_X1158.00
Closed Thread