BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-29-2020, 08:33 PM   #1
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Job satisfaction: Would you stay or would you go?

Kind of curious to get the forum’s thoughts as I feel like opinions are always split. I had discussions with friends on the same topic and it seems 50/50.

Example scenario:
- you’re bored or unhappy with current job/role
- have tried to get other roles within the company and haven’t had luck
- know that you would like to start your own business but have no idea what

If you’re frustrated about the above and stress when you think about going back to work (in the same role), would you say f it and just leave and find something later or would you stay until you find another branch to grab onto? I’ve done the former and it’s worked out very well. However, I feel that once you’re in a good place it’s harder to do the former. Maybe that’s the trap of the rat race because you’re now motivated by money and the lost of a steady income scares people into not wanting to just leave and see where life takes them. Thoughts?
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2020, 08:50 PM   #2
six75LT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP

"the three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates, and a monthly salary"
Appreciate 6
rebekahb3131.50
Murf99314114.00
Humdizzle6042.00
King Rudi13154.00
Buug95917354.00
      12-29-2020, 09:10 PM   #3
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
The question needs to be answered, "What do you want to do?" before a course of action can be contemplated in the given scenario.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 09:11 PM   #4
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by six75LT View Post
"the three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates, and a monthly salary"
Add to these: complacency...
Appreciate 4
BMW F223565.50
vreihen1615182.50
Fined243.00
      12-29-2020, 09:13 PM   #5
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Life is too fast to be stressing/thinking about going to a job. I would look for another job/career ASAP.
Appreciate 2
BMW F223565.50
Buug95917354.00
      12-29-2020, 10:27 PM   #6
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The last one is a true killer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
The question needs to be answered, "What do you want to do?" before a course of action can be contemplated in the given scenario.
What if one doesn't know exactly what but has the call of the wild to start a business? Or just something new?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Quote:
Add to these: complacency...
I feel this is true as well. Many do get to a plateau and don't realize it. I dislike complacency although it can be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
Life is too fast to be stressing/thinking about going to a job. I would look for another job/career ASAP.
I would agree with you.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 08:15 AM   #7
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

I would need to know:
-career field
-age range of worker, are they at the early end of a career or tail end? Truth sucks but def easier for a 30 yr old to get new employment in most fields than a 63 yr old.
-how long could you go without income while searching?
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
David701567.00
      12-30-2020, 08:31 AM   #8
someguywithanm3
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

Whats wrong with looking while maintaining a steady income?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 09:08 AM   #9
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Take it from an old man who was there - jump.

I have always been lucky enough to have gotten jobs at higher levels that what societal norms would have placed me. I attribute this to being raised by a very conservative father who taught me to work hard for what I wanted and never "saved" me from failure. He knew that is what made him who he was.

But somewhere along the way work became what satisfied me. I was always the first one in, the last one out, but also the one that loved to see others succeed too. That helped me a lot building teams. I learned as much as I could about the industry that I loved and excelled at it.

I finally got my dream job and dove into it full force, even though it cost me a relationship to take it. I did well at it, the company grew, owners rewarded me generously and life was grand - right? But I never married, I never had kids. I had a long-term GF that was equally involved in her work - so she understood.

Then my dad got sick. As I watched him fade and spent loads of time with him and listened to what he talked about - none of it was his accomplishments. He told stories of his large family, us growing up, etc. and I realized I gave all that up for my work. I loved my job, but it was not a 40 hour a week job - as many dream jobs are not. This had a huge impact on me and I started questioning everything - especially after he passed.

Then some changes happened at my job and I just decided to quit. No other job lined up or anything - just turned in my notice. Everyone was stunned. It felt so freeing. I didn't hate my job, I just realized I had shackled myself to it.

I planned to sell my home and move back to where I was from and figure it out, but luckily, I work in a small industry where your reputation means a lot and once the word got out, I got offers. One intrigued me, even though it was not what everyone would have expected me to do - which was kind of the point. This company NEEDED me, so I sat down with the owner and explained why I gave up my dream job and that I was planning to put life first and that I would not be that guy in the office 24/7 anymore. He said the perfect things and we agreed on my abilities to come and go as life called me and away I went.

It has been fantastic. I sleep like a BABY now. I wake up and watch the sunrise - not check my emails. I have a lot of the same customers as my last job and they are all shocked when I walk into meetings in jeans with 2 day scruff and comment on how happy I seem. Funny thing is - the new owner is so pleased with the progress that he cut me in on the action. So even though I took a big pay cut for this job (with the greatly reduced hourly demands as well) this year will be one of my most profitable ever.

If you think your job is unfulfilling/boring/unsatisfying/too demanding/etc - it is. Period. You spend too much of your time at a job to hate it or dread it. You can adjust to less money and less toys - but do you want to adjust to less happiness? Do you want to realize some day your kid(s) are leaving for college and you missed a huge chuck of their childhood? Do you want a parent to pass and regret not going fishing/golfing/shopping with them more?

I wish I would have had this epiphany 5-10 years sooner, but I am glad I had it.

Make happiness - not money.
rebekahb3131.50
2000cs3496.50
Bunnny219.50
Buug95917354.00
E91WAG3N1247.50
      12-30-2020, 09:16 AM   #10
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Example scenario:
- you’re bored or unhappy with current job/role
- have tried to get other roles within the company and haven’t had luck
- know that you would like to start your own business but have no idea what
Unless you can deal with no income for a while you need a plan or another job before you quit what you have. If you don't like your current job you should find something else. You said you tried internally with no success so alternative is externally. You can't start your own business without money and an idea/plan so if you want to go this route you need to cover both of them before you start.

I am sticking with my current job that I don't like, at least in the short term as it pays well, isn't that difficult and I am not sure what else I want to right now. I prefer working for someone else over my own business, mainly for the risk and inability to then change my mind and walk away easily.
      12-30-2020, 09:30 AM   #11
Fined
ghost user
Rep
Drives: M2 | 997 GTS

I've never had a problem finding a new job while working my current one. Even when the process of taking a new job took place over a year. It's damn comfortable to be unrushed and unbothered throughout the process if you're still employed.

Also, overlapping the jobs can make getting a referral from a company you are not happy with a non-issue. If I'm still employed at Company A, where I am unhappy, when Company B comes into the picture its understandable that I am not able to give them a work reference to Company A. I still work there and it is not reasonable for Company B to force the issue, at least until they've made me an offer in writing. It's been working out quite well this way for years.

As far as starting a business, that can potentially be done as well while still employed, though perhaps easier and more legally if the company a person is going to start is related in no way to their current industry.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 10:04 AM   #12
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Worked in a Paper Mill when I was younger and made great money, but hated the job. One day I was talking to an elderly worker in the Powerplant about things that were bothering me that day about management, and he said to me in his thick Irish accent "Make that you springboard". With that I gave my notice with out any job on the horizon. Took several odd jobs for a while. Two years later entered into a career in the Fire Department which I just retired from as a District Fire Chief. I looked forward every day going to the FD, never knowing what may happen at any second, but with a crew of fellow ff's who shared the same values as me. Find what you truly love doing, and you will never consider it, "going to work".
      12-30-2020, 10:51 AM   #13
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
I work at large multinational corporation that's a household name but oddly enough not in the Fortune 500.

There are perks of making consumable goods that affect heavy industries, food and pharmaceutical companies. My company is solid and our stocks are climbing steadily. We have never laid off since the doors opened over a century ago.

The pay is decent and the benefits are great but the job can be very stressful -- high expectations and long hours. If we're any leaner there would be no one working.
I'm a salary exempt employee so my wages go down the longer I work.

There are days I regret going to work and I've often thought about working elsewhere but I have obligations, mortgage and car payment to consider. Plus, there's the old saying "the grass is greener on the other side."

Sticking with the devil I know, I trudges on, managing one crisis after another. Putting out fires that other people created. Not to mention, dealing with demanding bosses and legacy employees who think they're entitled to everything under the sun. I get calls at night, weekends, holidays and vacation that I have to respond.

I'm living the American dream and all I have to do is give a little of my soul and most of my time away.

When I was a kid and looking at people with nice houses and luxury cars, I wanted to live that dream. But now I find myself living that lifestyle and realizing what it takes to get there. Those nice houses are often unoccupied because the occupants are at work. I'm too old to start over so I have to keep it together until I retire which could be 10-15 years from now or until I go crazy.
Appreciate 1
E91WAG3N1247.50
      12-30-2020, 11:09 AM   #14
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Wow. Some very amazing personal stories here. Thank you for sharing!

Truth be told my job isn’t difficult although it can be very frustrating at times due to others’ BS (it frustrates my boss too). I did some soul searching and figured I’m more of a strategic, big picture thinker vs tactical. Conservatively estimating, I can go 4-5 years comfortably living off savings. But as mentioned once you’re that comfortable (maybe complacent), it’s hard to walk away. I am very thankful for what I have: the role, team, good boss, etc. But at the end of the day, I just don’t feel happy or satisfied with it. I wanted to do consulting but Legal & HR said it’s not allowed since it conflicts with my line of work. Just feeling kind of stuck and motivated only by checks.

I got my RE license before joining this company 4 years back and recently started to dip my toes into RE. We’ll see how that goes. It’s a funny feeling of having a lot of ideas and things to try/pursue but when all you think about is the day to day work, you feel very bogged down and can’t quite get started on other things. At the beginning of the pandemic I felt good and motivated to be wfh for a while. Now not so much: it was like this before covid and the longer time drags on the more I feel stuck.

Last edited by BMW F22; 12-30-2020 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 11:34 AM   #15
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The last one is a true killer.

What if one doesn't know exactly what but has the call of the wild to start a business? Or just something new?

I feel this is true as well. Many do get to a plateau and don't realize it. I dislike complacency although it can be nice.

I would agree with you.
@bmw f22 OK, let’s go with call of the wild. Pitch us your new business concept. Step into the shark tank. Make us believers.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 11:42 AM   #16
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
@bmw f22 OK, let’s go with call of the wild. Pitch us your new business concept. Step into the shark tank. Make us believers.
If only I had a solid idea. The decision would be easier to make. 😃
Appreciate 1
chassis6527.00
      12-30-2020, 12:20 PM   #17
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If only I had a solid idea. The decision would be easier to make. 😃
Time to do some work on yourself:

- make a list of likes and dislikes
- make a list of strengths and weaknesses
- make a list of goals or dreams
- ask others (family, trusted friends) what your strengths are
- learn about Rules for Discernment by St. Ignatius of Loyola
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11340.50
      12-30-2020, 12:23 PM   #18
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

I spent the first half of my career (23 years) in my dad's mom-and-pop consumer electronics store. I started out as the janitor, plus got in a little bit of electronics apprentice time. I worked my way up through the ranks, eventually becoming half-owner and general manager. As with most small businesses, we had good times and rough times. In the end, I sold the store because I had to work 6+ days a week to make ends meet. I was exhausted.

I got a boring interim job that barely kept food on the table while I looked for my "dream job" at the local university. It took 90 days before the right electronics technician job opening posted in HR. I stayed there for 23 years before retiring. For the most part, I found the job to be fun and challenging, plus it constantly exposed me to new equipment and the opportunity to learn lots of new things. I did retire one year earlier than planned when newer management started expecting too much, including working on things outside my job description. I stuck out the last few years to pad my pension.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 2
chassis6527.00
unluky7521.50
      12-30-2020, 12:39 PM   #19
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
Take it from an old man who was there - jump.

I have always been lucky enough to have gotten jobs at higher levels that what societal norms would have placed me. I attribute this to being raised by a very conservative father who taught me to work hard for what I wanted and never "saved" me from failure. He knew that is what made him who he was.

But somewhere along the way work became what satisfied me. I was always the first one in, the last one out, but also the one that loved to see others succeed too. That helped me a lot building teams. I learned as much as I could about the industry that I loved and excelled at it.

I finally got my dream job and dove into it full force, even though it cost me a relationship to take it. I did well at it, the company grew, owners rewarded me generously and life was grand - right? But I never married, I never had kids. I had a long-term GF that was equally involved in her work - so she understood.

Then my dad got sick. As I watched him fade and spent loads of time with him and listened to what he talked about - none of it was his accomplishments. He told stories of his large family, us growing up, etc. and I realized I gave all that up for my work. I loved my job, but it was not a 40 hour a week job - as many dream jobs are not. This had a huge impact on me and I started questioning everything - especially after he passed.

Then some changes happened at my job and I just decided to quit. No other job lined up or anything - just turned in my notice. Everyone was stunned. It felt so freeing. I didn't hate my job, I just realized I had shackled myself to it.

I planned to sell my home and move back to where I was from and figure it out, but luckily, I work in a small industry where your reputation means a lot and once the word got out, I got offers. One intrigued me, even though it was not what everyone would have expected me to do - which was kind of the point. This company NEEDED me, so I sat down with the owner and explained why I gave up my dream job and that I was planning to put life first and that I would not be that guy in the office 24/7 anymore. He said the perfect things and we agreed on my abilities to come and go as life called me and away I went.

It has been fantastic. I sleep like a BABY now. I wake up and watch the sunrise - not check my emails. I have a lot of the same customers as my last job and they are all shocked when I walk into meetings in jeans with 2 day scruff and comment on how happy I seem. Funny thing is - the new owner is so pleased with the progress that he cut me in on the action. So even though I took a big pay cut for this job (with the greatly reduced hourly demands as well) this year will be one of my most profitable ever.

If you think your job is unfulfilling/boring/unsatisfying/too demanding/etc - it is. Period. You spend too much of your time at a job to hate it or dread it. You can adjust to less money and less toys - but do you want to adjust to less happiness? Do you want to realize some day your kid(s) are leaving for college and you missed a huge chuck of their childhood? Do you want a parent to pass and regret not going fishing/golfing/shopping with them more?

I wish I would have had this epiphany 5-10 years sooner, but I am glad I had it.

Make happiness - not money.
There is some massive wisdom in this post, I'd pay heed people.

For me personally : this has been a rough year. My mom had a stroke right after Christmas last year, combined with a few other health complications, and I had to send an email to my managers over the holidays letting them know I may need some time off. Note - I work for a large tech company with offices around the globe. The work-life balance is pretty decent, remote / work from home highly flexible even before Covid, pay is decent but not top tier.

The response I got : "Go take care of your family. Don't worry about filing PTO or coming into the office if you need to work remote. Let's schedule a couple meetings to shift some of your workload, we can adjust. Family comes first, the work will always be here and will always keep moving on. Let us know if you need anything or if there's anything we can do to help."

For the first several months even with the pandemic I was in and out of the hospital driving my mom to doctor's appts; plus making grocery runs for her and my sister's family (sister is helping take care of her so I help her out too). Throughout it all work has kept going and my manager checks every couple of weeks if we need to adjust or if I need anything. I almost feel like I'm the one letting my team down because I've stepped back so much at this point.

Coming from a military background where I had to miss funerals and such for relatives who weren't directly related (mom, dad, sister, brother, wife, child are the only ones that count for emergency leave) this has been an amazing change for me in support from work.

And yet...I AM unhappy in my current role. I DO want to explore other opportunities with other teams. And I DO want to start my own business. Given the situation though...only exploring opportunities with other teams within the company (or searching for another job while remaining in my current role) seem like viable options.

It may be golden handcuffs (or maybe silver...again, the pay isn't top tier for what I do / what we do) but it's a pretty steep alternative if things don't work out. Since I'm currently single / no kids and am able to take the time for family, it's not as much of a push to leave and try something else as it would be for others at a different company.
Appreciate 1
chassis6527.00
      01-02-2021, 12:39 PM   #20
longm1985
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328Xi

Having a job where there's no opportunity for advancement really sucks. The only one of those that wasn't a problem while not being able to advance was HVAC. I made TONS of money in a short amount of time (think I made $30k in 3 months) before the housing crisis in 08 got me canned, as I was the low man on the totem pole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
I hate when my d*ck flies out of my pants under hard braking, so I think the seats are great.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 02:26 PM   #21
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I did a series of jobs for twenty years that was merely to pay the bills, it was a character building experience. I only did it because my dream job took time to build a client base, build a reputation and become a career. Yes, it was painful but I certainly appreciate those experiences now that I have some measure of success. I would build a nest egg, quit and find a low stress part time job till you can find what you really want to do. Don't look back, always look forward because we do not work for one company and collect a pension anymore.
      01-02-2021, 03:17 PM   #22
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

NorCalAthlete, I love the avatar! What do you think George would think about this period in our Country?