BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Closed Thread

01-04-2021, 11:01 AM   #199
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

Def not a full ghost town.. my area (flushing, queens) is booming, people are out like theres no covid since august.. its crazy, you think people would stay home during that time when there is no vaccine. I rarely go out besides work..

I pass by that mall that kid was at, the queens center, its crowded, traffic and cars outside the mall.
      01-04-2021, 11:04 AM   #200
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
My nabe is far from a ghost town!
NYC will be different for sure. But we, and many folks we know are doing pretty well, all things considered. In much of Brklyn property values didn't dip, and those near Prospect Park are very sought after.
NYC also has very low covid rates compared to most places, so maybe our businesses will open sooner & recovery will be faster than in other places.

We have a tough fight, similar to other places. No need to be divisive.

Murf

PS: Below pic: Onslow says hello from Brklyn!
Half of Brooklyn is on Zillow - tenants (individual and commercial) are NOT paying rent. In downtown Brooklyn not far from you, the new buildings are sitting empty. Anyone with kids has fled to the burbs or FL because schools in NYC are closed.

You might be single or retirement age so you can “wait” this out but working parents with means to move have either left or in process of fleeing.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 11:07 AM   #201
R N M
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsutoratosu View Post
Def not a full ghost town.. my area (flushing, queens) is booming, people are out like theres no covid since august.. its crazy, you think people would stay home during that time when there is no vaccine. I rarely go out besides work..

I pass by that mall that kid was at, the queens center, its crowded, traffic and cars outside the mall.
LOL Flushing or Brooklyn Chinatown (8th Ave) will never be a ghost town.
Go to Wall St, Midtown, or anywhere in Manhattan and it looks like a forgotten city.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 11:09 AM   #202
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Dreaming,
The article didn't mention causation or correlation.
Just the facts.

Murf
Must be nice going through life just reading headline.

"Payments to individuals under the Social Security and Medicare programs are concentrated in states with large elderly populations, and states with large defense contracting sectors and more military bases get more federal defense spending. Federal wages are concentrated in states with a large federal employment presence, and has a significant impact on determining which states have the highest and lowest total per capita federal expenditures."

Stupid facts!
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2021, 11:13 AM   #203
R N M
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
A small fact you don't mention is that NYC had about the best violent crime #s before covid, in the country. Prediction: we will get back to the low levels, probably sooner than most places.
How do the increased crime #s in NYC compare to those in other places? Without supplying that info, your post is useless.

Murf
What other places - Chicago, LA, Detroit?
NYC went from the safest big city to being just as bad as the other ones!
Appreciate 1
jmack548.50
      01-04-2021, 11:37 AM   #204
_X
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silverstone Red Int. M3

Quote:
<yawn> How many years, decades, centuries (?) have we heard this for?
The power of NYC is the dynamics. People still want to come here to test themselves against the best, to mingle with the best, & to sample the best.
Nothing lasts for ever, but many parts of the US have various probs. It's just more fun to pick on NYC because we don't really care!

Murf

PS: GS will have plenty of presence in NYC. I was surprised a bit back when I posted that NYC had headquarters for so many fortune 500 companies. They really don't, but they have their workers in NYC.
GS and their folks are among the best in the sector that enables NYC to be what it is. You can say their folks will be in NYC and I can say they won’t remain in NYC. Time will tell.

It will be interesting to observe the migration patterns of the people that have been tricked into believing they will die if they get covid, which seems to be much of NYC, once they are comfortable to explore new locations. Again, I just hope they leave their beliefs in NYC.

On the bright side, the way things are going NYC will be a great place for criminals to mingle and compare themselves against one another lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 11:51 AM   #205
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC, '14 X1 35i M sport

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by _X View Post
GS and their folks are among the best in the sector that enables NYC to be what it is. You can say their folks will be in NYC and I can say they won’t remain in NYC. Time will tell.

It will be interesting to observe the migration patterns of the people that have been tricked into believing they will die if they get covid, which seems to be much of NYC, once they are comfortable to explore new locations. Again, I just hope they leave their beliefs in NYC.

On the bright side, the way things are going NYC will be a great place for criminals to mingle and compare themselves against one another lol.
I think you got causation the other way around. NYC isn't an amazing place that so many people want to live in because of the financial sector, and rather the financial sector is there because NYC is an amazing place to live in and these are exactly the type of people who can afford to live there.

Qualifications to me saying the above - I work in finance and have lived in NYC for several years, and have many friends and colleagues who live and work there. I don't live there anymore purely for geographical activity reasons, but would love to move back to NYC when I'm old and can't do those activities anymore. No other city in US offers such a high density and variety of food, culture, and entertainment all within walkable distance. And as much as people like to shit on the subway system (and sometimes in the subway system) - the coverage it has of the city is again unmatched.

NYC can certainly die, but it won't be because financial jobs move, and rather financial jobs will move if NYC dies.

Last edited by Noneya; 01-04-2021 at 11:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
Littlebear3509.50
      01-04-2021, 01:12 PM   #206
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Must be nice going through life just reading headline.

"Payments to individuals under the Social Security and Medicare programs are concentrated in states with large elderly populations, and states with large defense contracting sectors and more military bases get more federal defense spending. Federal wages are concentrated in states with a large federal employment presence, and has a significant impact on determining which states have the highest and lowest total per capita federal expenditures."

Stupid facts!
Dreaming,
As usual you are saying nothing. You pulled a simple statement out of the article.
This has nothing, repeat, nothing to do with the fact that NY is a top giving state re Fed taxes vs receivables, ie: balance of payments (along with CT, Mass, NJ).

What is your argument?

Murf
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread