BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-28-2020, 10:47 AM   #23
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Huge Hornby fan myself. No room for an elaborate set-up, but have a couple of the locomotives (with British Rail logo) on display.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 11:11 AM   #24
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
I need this year to end, but I'm starting to worry nothing is going to change when the calendar changes. I will continue to be optimistic....

You?
I fully understand.

I'm turning the page on this crap. Laid off 3 people due to COVID-19 and negotiating with a new client now to begin services January 15 of 2020. I really believe that if I can come back this year I will retire the day after my daughter graduates from law school.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go15696.50
      12-28-2020, 01:41 PM   #25
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
I don't know what we are going to do with them. They can't stay there forever. When mom is gone (which I hope won't be for a very long time) we will sell the house. My brother was looking to see if there were any museums that would be interested.
Sadly, the interest in several wonderful hobbies of yesteryear wanes, as the enthusiasts gray out and no youngsters come along to fill their shoes.

if his layout modeled an actual town/region, it may be worth contacting their chamber of commerce or libraries to see if they are interested.

If your dad was a member of any local model railroad club(s), maybe they know of someone or have a place to merge it into their club's layout?

As a last resort, check with a model railroad store and see if they have any suggestions about where it could be re-homed to. I doubt there is any huge monetary windfall in the individual pieces, so it would be nice if someone had a new home for it where the whole layout could live on as your dad's legacy.

On a side note, I vividly remember an old model railroad store in Piscataway that I rode past all the time as a kid. Believe it or not, it is still in business...and even has a web site!!!
MKSixer34184.50
      12-28-2020, 01:56 PM   #26
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Sadly, the interest in several wonderful hobbies of yesteryear wanes, as the enthusiasts gray out and no youngsters come along to fill their shoes.

if his layout modeled an actual town/region, it may be worth contacting their chamber of commerce or libraries to see if they are interested.

If your dad was a member of any local model railroad club(s), maybe they know of someone or have a place to merge it into their club's layout?

As a last resort, check with a model railroad store and see if they have any suggestions about where it could be re-homed to. I doubt there is any huge monetary windfall in the individual pieces, so it would be nice if someone had a new home for it where the whole layout could live on as your dad's legacy.

On a side note, I vividly remember an old model railroad store in Piscataway that I rode past all the time as a kid. Believe it or not, it is still in business...and even has a web site!!!
Is it Piscataway or So Plainfield? My dad went to that store on a regular basis. They did repairs for him and one of the guys came to the house once or twice a week to help with the wiring.

I wish it could stay where it is forever, but it can't. No one wants to get rid of it or worse take it down but....
      12-28-2020, 02:29 PM   #27
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Is it Piscataway or So Plainfield? My dad went to that store on a regular basis. They did repairs for him and one of the guys came to the house once or twice a week to help with the wiring.
Technically Piscataway, but right over the Dunellen border and close enough to South Plainfield:

https://themodelrailroadshop.com

Haven't been there since the early 1970's, and was shocked to see that it was still in business.....
      12-28-2020, 06:55 PM   #28
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:
Here you go, boys and girls.
I didn't do too well capturing the layout in its entirety, my photography skills suck but hopefully the close ups with give you an idea of the years he spent putting this together. The bridge and some of the structures were made by him cutting up old wooden cigar boxes. Some of the other structures were kits.

This is absolutely amazing with the attention to detail and craftsmanship. Glad that your father enjoyed it to the fullest and shared his hobby with the neighborhood kids.

My parents had friends in Manhasset back in the day and would go over to their castle (literally) for social gatherings when I was around 5-6 years old. They had a huge layout just like your fathers and I was in awe. Their kids let me run them and that got me hooked.
Appreciate 0