BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

04-09-2020, 11:08 AM   #111
pdubq
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘15 650ix GC, ‘14 X35i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCountryGuy View Post
My kids have moved on. We’re still in touch...occasionally.
Other catastrophes have occurred in my life.
Nevertheless...
I am an Emerg Med Physician. EM Residency trained and Boarded.
Ah... I was guessing that, thank you thank you for your service, especially as of late! I can’t imagine the stress you’re both going through.
      04-09-2020, 01:11 PM   #112
NorthCountryGuy
The Quiet One
Rep
Drives: M6, E70, E71

Garage List
2013 X6 M  [0.00]
2013 M6  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i Spo ...  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdubq View Post
Ah... I was guessing that, thank you thank you for your service, especially as of late! I can’t imagine the stress you’re both going through.
Appreciate your thought. Most kind.
I’m in upstate NY and it is just starting to thicken up here.
If there were more alacrity and efficiency from the time origin of this in dealing with corralling the situation, things would have been better. Nations that did, did better. Nations that didn’t, didn’t.

Wrong thread to talk about this.
C’est fini.
2013 X6 M Sapphire Black Metallic / Black Merino \ Carbon Fiber - Son’s
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 09:13 PM   #113
board57796
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Gran Coupe

Oil changed!

My left rear caliper seems to be sticking. I hear it scrape as I drive, and when I took the brakes off the inner pad was completely worn down literally to the metal. The rotor was ruined. My mechanic said it seems to be an issue with the caliper, since I changed the brakes and lubed the guide pins and its still scraping. I ordered a used caliper. He thinks it might be the electric parking brake portion that is causing the rubbing. Anyone else had a sticky caliper on these?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 03:33 PM   #114
Doughnutlord
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 640D M Sport Gran Coupe

Garage List
Lots of spare time!

Given the lockdown, last two weekends I've finally got around to swapping back to the summer wheels, thorough wash, polish and wax on the outside and deep clean and leather treatment on the inside.

The last few months I've also been collecting the parts to do a full ceramic controls retrofit and change the aluminium trims over to piano black. Started this today with changing over the trim on the gear lever (possibly the easiest of all the change-overs!).
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      04-12-2020, 06:09 AM   #115
alehax
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 640d

I was planning to send my interior trim to be wrapped but with the lock-down in place I said I'll give it a go and if not happy with the result I'll cough up £150. Done all the front trim pieces in 5 hours (front door trim is a PITA to take out) and it is flawless, not bad for £16. I have the back trim left, not sure how to take the back panels (checked the Newtis and it looks daunting). Planning to wrap the door handle trim and the side indicator cover in gloss black and maybe I would give a go to the mirror cover as well. As well, planning to lower it with Eibach springs but have read that the drop is not noticeable due to the car being an M-sport, anyone done this and been happy with the result?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 06:45 AM   #116
BmwF06Ireland
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw f06

Quote:
Originally Posted by alehax View Post
I was planning to send my interior trim to be wrapped but with the lock-down in place I said I'll give it a go and if not happy with the result I'll cough up £150. Done all the front trim pieces in 5 hours (front door trim is a PITA to take out) and it is flawless, not bad for £16. I have the back trim left, not sure how to take the back panels (checked the Newtis and it looks daunting). Planning to wrap the door handle trim and the side indicator cover in gloss black and maybe I would give a go to the mirror cover as well. As well, planning to lower it with Eibach springs but have read that the drop is not noticeable due to the car being an M-sport, anyone done this and been happy with the result?
Looks amazing, love a set of the ceramic controls

I plan to wrap the glass trim on mine also, crazy i have shadow package and they forgot some parts.

Where are you going to get your gloss vynal wrap ?

And

Will you take off the pieces to wrap them?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 06:54 AM   #117
alehax
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwF06Ireland View Post
Looks amazing, love a set of the ceramic controls

I plan to wrap the glass trim on mine also, crazy i have shadow package and they forgot some parts.

Where are you going to get your gloss vynal wrap ?

And

Will you take off the pieces to wrap them?
Thanks mate, I already ordered the vinyl from Ebay (same place I ordered the carbon one). I will take off all the parts to wrap them, just to ensure it is done properly. I use this seller https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/high-qual...72.m2749.l2649
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 07:42 AM   #118
BmwF06Ireland
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks mate, I already ordered the vinyl from Ebay (same place I ordered the carbon one). I will take off all the parts to wrap them, just to ensure it is done properly. I use this seller https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/high-qual...72.m2749.l2649
Any guides to take the door handle chrome off i refuse to remove door handle..

and the wing chrome?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 01:14 PM   #119
Doughnutlord
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 640D M Sport Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Hey, for the trims in the front doors did you have to take the door cards off completely and if so how pita was it?

I've read the instructions on TIS which seems to say the door cards need to come off.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 01:33 PM   #120
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughnutlord View Post
Hey, for the trims in the front doors did you have to take the door cards off completely and if so how pita was it?

I've read the instructions on TIS which seems to say the door cards need to come off.
Door cards come off yes and the passenger side trim is pretty easy to remove. Driver side is another story. There's a tiny silver metal clip holding the trim down that's pretty hidden and a total PITA to remove. It's behind the switch pack. This is also why the instructions mention that the entire switch pack (window controls) be removed before removing the trim, but that task too is easier said than done. Getting the trim installed back into the door card is just as fun and if you're not careful you can damage the leather.

I've done plenty of mods, wraps and retrofits over the years...the driver door trim on the 6er was one of the worst.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 02:00 PM   #121
alehax
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughnutlord View Post

The door cards come off easy (2 screws passenger side, one driver side + retaining clips). Take off the screws first and start in the corner by the mirror going down and around (pull the door card from the window sill last). After there are two clips hidden in the middle of the door (driver side two and one for passenger side). Juggle the door front and back until the clips are released and disconnect the cables (if you wish, otherwise prop the door on a small chair as I did). There are about 5 screws for the trim at the back of the panel (see photos where they roughly are). All these steps are the easier part, as Hugo_Nz said there is a clip under the window control (passenger side) which I had no clue is there and just forced it out. I broke a few clips in the process but the trim is held by 5 screws and is held securely when you screw it back. To be honest I went in full dismantling mode and had no clue how to take it off, just took my time. I will do the back trim next week and I will take photos and post here...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 03:18 PM   #122
BmwF06Ireland
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The door cards come off easy (2 screws passenger side, one driver side + retaining clips). Take off the screws first and start in the corner by the mirror going down and around (pull the door card from the window sill last). After there are two clips hidden in the middle of the door (driver side two and one for passenger side). Juggle the door front and back until the clips are released and disconnect the cables (if you wish, otherwise prop the door on a small chair as I did). There are about 5 screws for the trim at the back of the panel (see photos where they roughly are). All these steps are the easier part, as Hugo_Nz said there is a clip under the window control (passenger side) which I had no clue is there and just forced it out. I broke a few clips in the process but the trim is held by 5 screws and is held securely when you screw it back. To be honest I went in full dismantling mode and had no clue how to take it off, just took my time. I will do the back trim next week and I will take photos and post here...
No way in hell i am going to try that

Will try and wrap it from.outside somehow

What about the wing chrome.trim, is that easy ?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 04:39 PM   #123
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Treated the soft top

I sprayed three coats of Raggtopp fabric protectant on.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Junebug851613.50
      04-13-2020, 11:24 AM   #124
alehax
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

yeah, very easy https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ights/FIchR3oc
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 02:27 PM   #125
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive - M Sport Plus

Quote:
That link is very useful. Needed to know how to remove the mirror covers. Thought it would be the same as the F30 but on checking, it's slightly different.

Cheers

G30 540i xDrive / Stage 3 via BM3 / xHP Stage 3 / Pure 800 Cast Turbo / 5" Catted Downpipe / MST Intake / Remus Exhaust / MSS Springs / 19" JR SL01 & Conti SC7 / 20" BBS CI-R & Michelin PS4S / F90 Sway Bars & Braces / Lots of Gloss Black
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 03:37 PM   #126
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:

It's really not that hard - BMW door cards are actually pretty easy as door cards go. I think you will be very unhappy trying to wrap the door trim in place because of how it tucks under the armrest. Another option is to go to a trusted auto trim shop, glass shop or stereo shop and ask how much they would charge to pop off your door cards. They do it every day. You can drive the car w/o them.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 03:29 PM   #127
MARKPRIOR
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 M6 GC

Quote:
this has inspired me to do mine next week

ive done the eibach springs myself, its not a noticeable difference fro everyday driving, really happy with the result. from memory mine was a drop of 25mm front 30mm back

Previous:2014 640D GC 383BHP + 733NM, F10 2010 530d 520i (2000), E36 comact 318i, E46 M3, E46 318Ci, X5,
Non BMW: 5x Skyline / GTRs, 5x Supras, 2x Nissan 200sx s14a, lots of other stuff
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 04:15 PM   #128
alehax
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKPRIOR View Post
this has inspired me to do mine next week

ive done the eibach springs myself, its not a noticeable difference fro everyday driving, really happy with the result. from memory mine was a drop of 25mm front 30mm back
Thanks, i still need to tackle the back. You can do it,just need to take your time with each piece and leave enough length for difficult corners when you cut the wrap. You need to heat the wrap before wrapping around a corner, wrap, wait the cool down and re-heat to seal it. Watch CK Wraps on YouTube, he explains it very well. I am waiting for the gloss wrap to be delivered to delete my chrome. As well, I've ordered a v-spoiler (unpainted, as I want to do it myself) and really itching to get the alloys done in gloss black but I purchased alloy insurance and I have to check with them if ok. I will definitely lower the car on Eibach's and add a front Maxton lip spoiler(do I have to give the insurance a bell to tell them?).
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 03:10 PM   #129
MARKPRIOR
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 M6 GC

Quote:
Thanks, i still need to tackle the back. You can do it,just need to take your time with each piece and leave enough length for difficult corners when you cut the wrap. You need to heat the wrap before wrapping around a corner, wrap, wait the cool down and re-heat to seal it. Watch CK Wraps on YouTube, he explains it very well. I am waiting for the gloss wrap to be delivered to delete my chrome. As well, I've ordered a v-spoiler (unpainted, as I want to do it myself) and really itching to get the alloys done in gloss black but I purchased alloy insurance and I have to check with them if ok. I will definitely lower the car on Eibach's and add a front Maxton lip spoiler(do I have to give the insurance a bell to tell them?).
i would let the insurance know, they didnt charge me extra for lowering springs but added £30 premium for the carbon spoiler

ive done some wrapping previously (indicators, door handle inserts and rear valance) CKwraps is a good channel

Previous:2014 640D GC 383BHP + 733NM, F10 2010 530d 520i (2000), E36 comact 318i, E46 M3, E46 318Ci, X5,
Non BMW: 5x Skyline / GTRs, 5x Supras, 2x Nissan 200sx s14a, lots of other stuff
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 08:40 AM   #130
alehax
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Deleted the chrome in gloss black vinyl. I had delivered the V type spoiler yesterday, sanded down, applied primer and painted in black. It starts to take shape! Next, I'll replace the exhaust tips with slanted ones, lower it on Eibach springs, Maxton front lip and side skirts.
I am thinking to replace the 20" Msport alloys with https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19-inch-a...S/183988258612 or https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-inch-a...r/184006999265 or https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alloy-Whe...6/392744417760
As well, I found these amazing shape skirts but not sure if I want to cough up £300 for them https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-BMW-F...e/153124648294
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      04-17-2020, 12:50 PM   #131
bimmer12
Private
Rep
Drives: F06 650xi GC

Quote:
Deleted the chrome in gloss black vinyl. I had delivered the V type spoiler yesterday, sanded down, applied primer and painted in black. It starts to take shape! Next, I'll replace the exhaust tips with slanted ones, lower it on Eibach springs, Maxton front lip and side skirts.
I am thinking to replace the 20" Msport alloys with
Nice, everything so far looks very clean. Wheels are obviously of personal preference but I feel like the first two options might be a bit loud to go with the car and what you've done to it so far. Just my opinion of course.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 01:34 PM   #132
shine775
Scott
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i

Garage List
2013 BMW 640i  [0.00]
Check out Mr Wheel Deal, good selection and prices on tire and wheel packages.