BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      07-28-2021, 11:05 AM   #1
Billyperks
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535XI 2014 650XI

Question For The Guru's

Driving in to work last Friday I had a Drivetrain Malfunction.
Took the car to my Indy shop and found out that the car needs coils and one fuel injector is bad.
Here is my question-is it best to change all the injectors or just do the one?
My indy guy told me to save my money and do one.
He said, if I had took it to BMW they would have changed them all along with the coils just to reap the benefits of the 3rd party warranty that I have.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 12:32 PM   #2
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyperks View Post
Driving in to work last Friday I had a Drivetrain Malfunction.
Took the car to my Indy shop and found out that the car needs coils and one fuel injector is bad.
Here is my question-is it best to change all the injectors or just do the one?
My indy guy told me to save my money and do one.
He said, if I had took it to BMW they would have changed them all along with the coils just to reap the benefits of the 3rd party warranty that I have.
If you can leverage your warranty provider into covering all of them, definitely do that as injectors aren't particularly cheap. If this is coming out of pocket, then it just becomes a question of how much you're comfortable spending. Do one for low cost and have it potentially be a short term fix until the next one goes, or bite the bullet and do them all to have the peace of mind.
      07-28-2021, 02:11 PM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Part of that decision depends on miles (assuming no warranty coverage). If one failed at 30,000 miles I might just replace one. If one failed at 80,000 miles I'd probably do them all.

Not sure what your warranty company would do since the others are not technically bad. But I suspect they would balk at paying for that reason.
Appreciate 1
NDAzone13.50
      07-28-2021, 02:49 PM   #4
Billyperks
Private
Rep

Thanks for the replies so far- I am at 45K and my warranty is with Endurance for up to 100K. The irony here is- When I was shopping for the 650 I did an intense research, meaning I pulled all the service record for the ones I deemed worthy. The ones in my neck of the woods all had misfiring on their records. I had to go to MA suburbs to get this from a little old lady- the car was garage kept for the majority of time she owned it. It still puzzles me why this occurred because I for sure don't abuse it- I only drive it on the weekends because I am on the train 5 days a week- just to show- when you think you have it all figured out.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 10:48 PM   #5
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyperks View Post
Thanks for the replies so far- I am at 45K and my warranty is with Endurance for up to 100K. The irony here is- When I was shopping for the 650 I did an intense research, meaning I pulled all the service record for the ones I deemed worthy. The ones in my neck of the woods all had misfiring on their records. I had to go to MA suburbs to get this from a little old lady- the car was garage kept for the majority of time she owned it. It still puzzles me why this occurred because I for sure don't abuse it- I only drive it on the weekends because I am on the train 5 days a week- just to show- when you think you have it all figured out.
There's no magic reason. Fuel injectors fail. They seem to fail on these cars more than some others. It's a cost of doing a business. Garage kept makes no difference to something like that, or to any mechanical issue really. I hope you didn't pass on a car you liked better just because it once had a misfire. That would be a bit like passing on date with a beautiful woman because she once had a pimple on her nose.
Appreciate 1
NDAzone13.50
      07-29-2021, 08:38 AM   #6
Billyperks
Private
Rep

I actually did-two in fact- they were other reasons- scratches and a whole other miscellaneous. The one I have looks pretty much brand new no dings, no scratches and no accidents. I am happy with the car, compliments everywhere I go and some thinks its actually new. But, I am even happier now having this warranty up to 100K.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 09:08 AM   #7
jdsaengine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 650iX vert, 2017 Corvette

My 2013 650 convertible was a garage queen, but at 37K mi as I lightly accelerated one day picking up a pizza the DTM came on. One injector, one plug, paid by my 3rd party warranty. From then on I kept my foot out of the pedal fearing the next and inevitable DTM incident. Bought top tier gas, put injector cleaner in the tank, and still did not trust the car beyond a 30 min drive from home.

I traded it last month just because she had a pimple on her nose I guess. Hated doing that, loved the car, the looks, the HP, but in the end just didn't trust it and the warranty was up in a month anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 11:16 AM   #8
D'Mann
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i GC - M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsaengine View Post
My 2013 650 convertible was a garage queen, but at 37K mi as I lightly accelerated one day picking up a pizza the DTM came on. One injector, one plug, paid by my 3rd party warranty. From then on I kept my foot out of the pedal fearing the next and inevitable DTM incident. Bought top tier gas, put injector cleaner in the tank, and still did not trust the car beyond a 30 min drive from home.

I traded it last month just because she had a pimple on her nose I guess. Hated doing that, loved the car, the looks, the HP, but in the end just didn't trust it and the warranty was up in a month anyway.
One bad injector does not mean the entire car is crap. I have had to replace injectors on many cars, and I still drove them like I stole them afterwards. You would have just as much chance of an injector going bad on a car that had never had a problem and one that had 3-4 injectors replaced if they were the same mileage and service history.

Now if I was having valve or cylinder related issues......
Appreciate 1
jjasonSU194.00
      08-08-2021, 07:23 PM   #9
JBF650
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F13 LCI 650i Coupe

I'm going to venture out on a limb here and perhaps ill be cut down.... i always run 98ULP in all my cars. I'm a big believer in the putting the best fuel in my cars. I do understand sometimes you cannot always find premium but i simply don't believe its worth the risk of putting low grade fuel in these high performance engines.

I did have a DTM warning come up too maybe 6 months ago and noticed a misfiring so took the car to my BMW dealership. I was fearing the 'injectors' .... but instead the dealership said nothing wrong with the injectors it was the plugs they were a little fouled and the car threw a warning... i was relived somewhat. 8 new plugs and all solved at a very reasonable price. I asked the dealership why the plugs would be fouled on my car with 40k klms, I rarely drive my 650 and they said 'and that's the reason sir'.... drive your car more regularly and on longer trips...the car will be much happier.
I was glad it wasn't the injectors as at $2500 per injector... i think it would be a little annoyed.....
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 01:16 AM   #10
jjasonSU
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 650i, NSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsaengine View Post
My 2013 650 convertible was a garage queen, but at 37K mi as I lightly accelerated one day picking up a pizza the DTM came on. From then on I kept my foot out of the pedal fearing the next and inevitable DTM incident.
With a 450hp car that sounds like prison man
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 02:28 PM   #11
jdsaengine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 650iX vert, 2017 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjasonSU View Post
With a 450hp car that sounds like prison man
It was sorta. Thats why I dumped the car for a 330 hp car !!
Appreciate 0