BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-02-2023, 08:45 PM   #419
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Is pineapple on pizza really that polarizing, worse than anchovies, for example? I'm totally cool w it. I think I almost puked when I had a pizza w goat cheese on it....now that's just RANK, any type of nasty cheese like that.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25263.50
      01-03-2023, 05:46 AM   #420
2008M36MT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Not a fan of the LFA, it's ugly and didn't hear anything great about its performance, ppl just rave about its sound, which is yet another overrated feature. HANDLING is the apex criterion for sportscars, not outright speed, not sound.
Definitely an unpopular opinion. Sound and 6MT are the two biggest reasons why I bought the E92 M3. It is certainly not known for its speed or handling.
I would say an MT is the apex criterion for sports cars, not the pussified DCT. If BMW owners of yesterday (by that I mean the E36 M3 era) heard us trying convince ourselves DCT = manual they would be laughing pretty hard about the slushbox. 3 pedals and a gated shifter is the only real manual. My wife can't drive my manual E92 M3, but she can sure drive my DCT F82 M4. Same can be said for 84% of the populace. DCT = automatic. Automatic is not a real sports car.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 08:52 AM   #421
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Ya, I was debating whether or not to join as obviously it's paid membership and it just didn't make sense for a couple household. There are some odd neat things one can get there in bulk, but overall I don't see the fascination.
To pile on and to share another real-life examples of why CostCo isn't worth it: my wife bought a Dyson vacuum there last week which was on sale for about 100 bucks less than the average retail price. Gets it home and we realize either the charger, or the vacuum itself is faulty. We take it back to CostCo yesterday (me and the kids waiting in the car), wife waits 15 minutes in the returns line, gets a refund, then has to go back into the store and find another unit, waits in line to pay for it, then it took 40 minutes to be able to leave the parking lot: yes, it took 40 minutes to leave there. Combination of really busy day and lack of regulating the traffic inflows and outflows. It was so bad I called the local police station and asked if they could come and help regulate traffic. They told me they were aware of the situation but CostCo refuses to hire/pay for traffic control so they weren't helping. At this point I would have rather paid 100 bucks more for the vacuum from Best Buy to have it delivered to my home and not deal with the CostCo BS. My wife does 99% of the CostCo trips because i just become unhinged with the experience.
      01-03-2023, 09:09 AM   #422
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
Pics of the gated shifter in your M3?
I was gonna say....

Also, I guess the 458 is the only non-sports car on my bucket list.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2023, 09:28 AM   #423
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
I like pineapple on pizza under 1 condition only: that it's paired with jalapeños. The combination of spicy jalapeños with the sweet juices from the pineapple make for a delicious pizza.

Pineapples on their own on pizza? Yuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubba View Post
I must admit, have never tried that combo. Will have to give it a go!
Yep, when we do that, it's pepperoni/pineapple/jalapeno. Great combo.

The "hawaiian" that's like ham/pineapple, HARD pass.
Appreciate 1
wtwo318715.00
      01-03-2023, 09:32 AM   #424
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
To pile on and to share another real-life examples of why CostCo isn't worth it: my wife bought a Dyson vacuum there last week which was on sale for about 100 bucks less than the average retail price. Gets it home and we realize either the charger, or the vacuum itself is faulty. We take it back to CostCo yesterday (me and the kids waiting in the car), wife waits 15 minutes in the returns line, gets a refund, then has to go back into the store and find another unit, waits in line to pay for it, then it took 40 minutes to be able to leave the parking lot: yes, it took 40 minutes to leave there. Combination of really busy day and lack of regulating the traffic inflows and outflows. It was so bad I called the local police station and asked if they could come and help regulate traffic. They told me they were aware of the situation but CostCo refuses to hire/pay for traffic control so they weren't helping. At this point I would have rather paid 100 bucks more for the vacuum from Best Buy to have it delivered to my home and not deal with the CostCo BS. My wife does 99% of the CostCo trips because i just become unhinged with the experience.
Sounds like a problem with your particular location.

It's just the two of us, but it's great for meat in bulk (we have a deep freeze in the garage), cat and dog food and cat litter, cleaning supplies, paper goods, etc. They also have some good freezer stuff and other foods available.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 09:39 AM   #425
TTM0TION
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto ZCP

Quote:

This is why I hate all of these types of stores. Slight savings with major aggravation.
      01-03-2023, 09:48 AM   #426
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Sounds like a problem with your particular location.

It's just the two of us, but it's great for meat in bulk (we have a deep freeze in the garage), cat and dog food and cat litter, cleaning supplies, paper goods, etc. They also have some good freezer stuff and other foods available.
Agreed the location is garbage in terms of logistics. There are 2 entrances/exits that route to the same road. The biggest issue is everyone trying to take a left turn out of the parking lot while there is not a traffic light or stop sign with the cross traffic. It should be right-turn only while leaving, or at least during peak times.
      01-03-2023, 09:52 AM   #427
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTM0TION View Post
This is why I hate all of these types of stores. Slight savings with major aggravation.
But too many people salivate over what they think they are saving and they will forgive all the crap experience pieces.
      01-03-2023, 10:05 AM   #428
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008M36MT View Post
Definitely an unpopular opinion. Sound and 6MT are the two biggest reasons why I bought the E92 M3. It is certainly not known for its speed or handling.
I would say an MT is the apex criterion for sports cars, not the pussified DCT. If BMW owners of yesterday (by that I mean the E36 M3 era) heard us trying convince ourselves DCT = manual they would be laughing pretty hard about the slushbox. 3 pedals and a gated shifter is the only real manual. My wife can't drive my manual E92 M3, but she can sure drive my DCT F82 M4. Same can be said for 84% of the populace. DCT = automatic. Automatic is not a real sports car.
DCT isn't a slushbox, read up on it. Also, re bold, I guess you don't have a real MT either unless you did some hideous conversion lol. I dunno about you MT advocates, sure it's all great being w tradition but tech moves on. There are always 2 types of MT drivers, I know OP drives one but doesn't bother to put it in ppl's faces and the other who has to shout it out from the mountains while dissing everything else, what is up w that?? "Pussified"...while you guys enjoy handling and caressing a stiff, trembling knob haha, something closeted about that...but to quote Seinfeld, not that there's anything wrong w that. It's always those ppl that just *have* to proclaim they drive MT as if it's a rare skill few ppl know about, in addition to putting down other trannies for whatever insecure reason lmao. Again, a tranny type or sound or top speed does not a sportscar make, it's all about HANDLING. Anyone can strap on a rocket to destroy whatever top speed, put a fake soundtrack to have the 'best' car sound, and ofc DCT>>>>>MT in performance, but one cannot fake handling: that is the true determining factor, regrets but anyone who disagrees just doesn't get it.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?

Last edited by tranquility; 01-03-2023 at 10:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 10:18 AM   #429
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
But too many people salivate over what they think they are saving and they will forgive all the crap experience pieces.
That's the thing though, you're taking your experience and assuming everyone has the same crap experience, we don't have that experience. We will get up on Saturday morning, go have a nice breakfast and then get to Costco right before they open.

Get our shopping done, barely any wait at the check out line since we are there early on Saturday morning and home before lunch. And then we don't need to go back for 3+ weeks.
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan2532.50
      01-03-2023, 10:19 AM   #430
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
To be fair, and I'm no CostCo advocate, it could be just your store, but, I get it, it's almost like a cult going in there and it's always PACKED w ppl for whatever reason, even during the deepest business hours when everyone should be working.

I'm just not on board w the concept of *paying* to shop there, it's against my principles, like it's a privilege for me to spend even more $$$ there? What? Ofc, practically-speaking, I'd have to make sure that my savings at least equals the membership fee, so that's another thing I don't wanna think about.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 10:45 AM   #431
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Does bestbuy not price match with Costco?

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 10:46 AM   #432
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
That's the thing though, you're taking your experience and assuming everyone has the same crap experience, we don't have that experience. We will get up on Saturday morning, go have a nice breakfast and then get to Costco right before they open.

Get our shopping done, barely any wait at the check out line since we are there early on Saturday morning and home before lunch. And then we don't need to go back for 3+ weeks.
You make a fair point. They are putting in a new CostCo location in a neighboring city and we will see how that location stacks up in terms of logistics.
      01-03-2023, 10:48 AM   #433
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Does bestbuy not price match with Costco?
Yeah you are probably right. Didn't even think of that.
      01-03-2023, 10:55 AM   #434
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I see the same thing in the Porsche Community with Manual vs PDK, it's like a religion with the manual guys. The irony is, 3rd gear is SO FUCKING LONG on modern Porsche's that there's very little gear changing unless on track if you're hustling the car.

So on the road, 2nd can be a bit short if hustling it through a corner so you often enter in 3rd which means no gear change on exit until 125kmh if you wind her out a bit. Let's say you do change down to 2nd though, it's one fucking gear change at most.... one. Like come on guys, is a manual really that important?

I can exit a 90 degree corner in 3rd at 50kmh and wind it out to 6K at 125kmh...... literally no gear change. I'm gonna pay a 15K premium for that? If we're talking BRZ/Miata etc, small capacity, low powered NA engine then fine but the engine is the back of my 911 is a fucking beast and will pull hard in 3rd from the 50 to 130kmh band, easily, asking for more at 6K TBH.

Last edited by Alfisti; 01-03-2023 at 11:03 AM..
Appreciate 2
ASAP10584.00
      01-03-2023, 11:02 AM   #435
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I see the same thing in the Porsche Community with Manual vs PDK, it's like a religion with the manual guys. The irony is, 3rd gear is SO FUCKING LONG on modern Porsche's that there's very little gear changing unless on track if you're hustling the car.

So on the road, 2nd can be a bit short if hustling it through a corner so you often enter in 3rd which means no gear change on exit until 125kmh if you wind her out a bit. Let's say you do change down to 2nd though, it's one fucking gear change at most.... one. Like come on guys, is a manual really that important?

I can exit a 90 degree corner in 3rd at 50kmh and wind it out to 6K at 125kmh...... literally no gear change. I'm gonna pay a 15K premium for that?
I've heard this criticism about Porsche manuals. It's something to consider when I look into pulling the trigger on a 911 eventually (assuming they still offer an manual at that time). If I can barely row my gears because of super long ratios, then it sort of defeats the purpose.

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 11:38 AM   #436
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post

I can exit a 90 degree corner in 3rd at 50kmh and wind it out to 6K at 125kmh...... literally no gear change. I'm gonna pay a 15K premium for that? If we're talking BRZ/Miata etc, small capacity, low powered NA engine then fine but the engine is the back of my 911 is a fucking beast and will pull hard in 3rd from the 50 to 130kmh band, easily, asking for more at 6K TBH.
Re bold I should hope so or you got a defective 911

I was slightly confused at first since I'm not in the Pcar mkt and know that there's a premium for PDK but I guess in resale it's the other way around?

Anyway, I don't mind normal discussions re different trannies and other car features but I find it HILARIOUS some ppl are so hostile esp outta nowhere for whatever damn insecure reason, it's so annoying. I wasn't even really talking about the MT but that guy just went OFF haha.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 07:36 PM   #437
e90335e36m3
M3
Rep
Drives: M3s

Wearing a watch with the face on the inside side of the wrist is douchey. Wear a leather strap instead, you’re probably not looking at the time.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 07:37 PM   #438
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90335e36m3 View Post
Wearing a watch with the face on the inside side of the wrist is douchey. Wear a leather strap instead, you’re probably not looking at the time.
I didn't know that was a thing

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 07:57 PM   #439
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90335e36m3 View Post
I…have never seen that.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 09:13 PM   #440
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
I…have never seen that.
I have, and I dunno if I would call it douchy, but, rather, dorky. My guess is they wanna protect the watch face from any perceived additional risk of damage by having it face inwards instead of outwards.
Appreciate 0