BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-28-2022, 12:00 AM   #199
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Absolutely Truth.
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE14611.50
      11-28-2022, 07:15 AM   #200
F87M2.
Registered
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritty View Post
Folks like Trump and Musk change their view based on how it benefits them. If they believe being a Democrat will help them gain power and money then they play that role. If it's more beneficial to be a Republican
they morph into that role. They only care about themselves and don't give a rats ass about either party.
Maybe they want what's best for the country, i was a Democrat in my 30s. At some point i started realizing they're hurting Americans, especially Blacks. I've been in most inner cities. They killed a lot of opportunities with their high taxes yet people still have substandard education, high crime, poverty.
As a kid visiting my aunt in california, ithought it was paradise on earth back then they had a republican gov, now places like San francisco are awful.
A house you could buy in Dallas for $400k in california costs millions
Appreciate 1
NYG11585.50
      11-28-2022, 07:52 AM   #201
LivingInSalt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
FB laid off like 11k people, amazon laid off like 10k... why no outrage over those? Why isn't Zuck or Besos the worst people on the planet?
I mean...they are?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 10:12 AM   #202
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87M2. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritty View Post
Folks like Trump and Musk change their view based on how it benefits them. If they believe being a Democrat will help them gain power and money then they play that role. If it's more beneficial to be a Republican
they morph into that role. They only care about themselves and don't give a rats ass about either party.
Maybe they want what's best for the country, i was a Democrat in my 30s. At some point i started realizing they're hurting Americans, especially Blacks. I've been in most inner cities. They killed a lot of opportunities with their high taxes yet people still have substandard education, high crime, poverty.
As a kid visiting my aunt in california, ithought it was paradise on earth back then they had a republican gov, now places like San francisco are awful.
#truth

People act like Musk hasn't articulated exactly why he left the Democrat party. He's not even a Republican (…which he has stated); he's an Independent that voted Republican during the last races. They just want to paint him as some opportunist that flip flops given the temperature of the day.
Appreciate 1
NYG11585.50
      11-28-2022, 10:44 AM   #203
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87M2. View Post
The only way to stay in power is to keep everyone in the lower class, regardless of race, dependent on government and leave them in an environment where it is nearly impossible to succeed. They target minorities more than anyone - Lyndon B Johnson was one of their pioneers. It's pretty disgusting.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan26687.00
      11-28-2022, 12:13 PM   #204
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
Thank you for your life story.
Thank you for your excellent contribution to the thread.

I was pointing out your generalization was completely wrong. Go back to watching Tucker.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 12:16 PM   #205
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
I was pointing out your generalization was completely wrong. Go back to watching Tucker.
Oh the irony...
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 12:32 PM   #206
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
Oh the irony...
Oh, you were able to pick up on that. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Hope you had a nice Turkey day!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 12:36 PM   #207
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Lots of successful businessmen have experienced significant financial loss on the way to success. It's part of the game (…and the tax code encourages such things).

I just think it's funny that Trump wasn't racist, this or that back in the day when he was hanging out with all of the most prominent African American politicians and celebrities………being glorified in rap music (…and when he was romantically involved with an African American woman), but as soon as 2016 rolled around and he bucked the system, the labels and defamation began. People are fickle creatures. The same has happened to Musk. As a Democrat donor, etc., he was the best thing since baguettes and coffee. Now that he has bucked the system, he's a hate speech aficionado.
I would trade "fickle creatures" for hypocrites. But it's basically the same, I just don't like soft language.

And it really doesn't matter who the politician is, they all take money from causes they claim to despise. Look at how much oil money someone like Hillary took in during her push for the presidency.

The amusing part to me, is with all the information we have and what is publicized, somehow people think any politician gives a shit about the average person.
Appreciate 3
UncleWede18326.00
Sedan_Clan26687.00
minn1914524.50
      11-28-2022, 01:20 PM   #208
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Im loving watching his simps scrambling to try and explain how every move he make is somehow genius.
Appreciate 4
KRS_SN14235.00
minn1914524.50
antgenn340.00
      11-28-2022, 01:22 PM   #209
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Never knew the guy is autistic.
Because he isnt, its just a cover for being NPD. Its pretty common for people to claim an undiagnosed atypical autism to excuse behavior.
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2022, 01:24 PM   #210
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
Because he isnt, its just a cover for being NPD. Its pretty common for people to claim an undiagnosed atypical autism to excuse behavior.
It's amazing how many doctors have been created through Google and social media.

So many people seem to have all these different self-diagnosed disorders. It's like some weird social currency or something.
Appreciate 2
      11-28-2022, 03:44 PM   #211
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Musk is an amazing innovator. He thinks outside the box and constantly asks "Why can't we do that?" People like him are important for this world in many ways. EVs would not be remotely where they are at now if it wasn't for him. SpaceX? Reusable rockets that can land themselves? Are you kidding me?

With that said, Musk has become like many other celebrities and ultra wealthy well-knowns that starts believing their own hype and thinks that they know better when it comes to everything whether it's business, politics, you name it.

Musk's Twitter acquisition strikes me as a guy that has a lot of "what F, why not" money that has gotten really into rocking the boat. I don't doubt there were many lazy and underperforming workers at Twitter as that pretty much goes for any business. A quality business owner/leader would acquire a company and then do a lot of observing and question asking over a number of months before going in laying off portions of it's workforce, if really necessary. You don't buy a company on Friday and fire a large portion of the work force in around a week and then on top of it all, demand the remaining workers to work excessive hours. Workers don't want to work/eat/sleep their jobs. It's different when you're the business owner and are wired differently.

Overall, my respect for Musk has really declined over the past 2 years because he has gotten way out of hand. People like him, Gates, Bezos, actors, professional athletes, etc. need to stick to what they are good at and stop pretending like they're experts in everything.
KRS_SN14235.00
Joachim448.00
antgenn340.00
      11-28-2022, 03:51 PM   #212
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 6MT M2, 22 PFinder, 24 Truk

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Musk is an amazing innovator. He thinks outside the box and constantly asks "Why can't we do that?" People like him are important for this world in many ways. EVs would not be remotely where they are at now if it wasn't for him. SpaceX? Reusable rockets that can land themselves? Are you kidding me?

With that said, Musk has become like many other celebrities and ultra wealthy well-knowns that starts believing their own hype and thinks that they know better when it comes to everything whether it's business, politics, you name it.

Musk's Twitter acquisition strikes me as a guy that has a lot of "what F, why not" money that has gotten really into rocking the boat. I don't doubt there were many lazy and underperforming workers at Twitter as that pretty much goes for any business. A quality business owner/leader would acquire a company and then do a lot of observing and question asking over a number of months before going in laying off portions of it's workforce, if really necessary. You don't buy a company on Friday and fire a large portion of the work force in around a week and then on top of it all, demand the remaining workers to work excessive hours. Workers don't want to work/eat/sleep their jobs. It's different when you're the business owner and are wired differently.

Overall, my respect for Musk has really declined over the past 2 years because he has gotten way out of hand. People like him, Gates, Bezos, actors, professional athletes, etc. need to stick to what they are good at and stop pretending like they're experts in everything.
The “reusable” rocket thing is a bit of a misnomer. They all are basically gutted and rebuilt after every launch. Landing on a drone ship while extremely cool adds more complexity and weight to the boosters than a traditional parachute water landing. They need to carry more fuel/weight for landing so it reduces their ability to put more weight into space.

I do give them credit for advancing the technology and the refurbishment/rebuild takes less time and is less costly. But just general technological advances would’ve gotten us there anyway.

Last edited by minn19; 11-28-2022 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
antgenn340.00
      11-28-2022, 05:58 PM   #213
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
Source?
Lots, Google for plenty, plus aviation/space flight common sense. If you need to carry more fuel and weight for the landing, plus landing gear etc that is less cargo you can carry to space. There is no free lunch as they say. Plus if you need landing gear, retro rockets and the on board telemetry/instruments etc to land where you want it to, this obviously adds complexity and expense over a parachute(s) needed to land boosters into the ocean.

This isn’t a great analogy but a race car is obviously reusable. As you know they tear down nearly everything before the next race. Rockets are no different. The shuttles boosters and main engines plus the actual shuttle itself were “reusable” as well. It just took months to refurbish everything. From what I’ve read SpaceX has greatly reduced the time and cost of that which is a good thing. But these rockets are considerably less complex than the complete space shuttle system was.

Last edited by minn19; 11-28-2022 at 06:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 06:44 AM   #214
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post

He did exactly that. The Twitter deal didn't happen in a day. That acquisition took months and months; months of observing everything going on at Twitter. Months of looking at the validity of the accounts, the workforce, the books, previously "clandestine" strategies and behaviors (…especially as it pertained to Twitter's actions toward political opponents and relevant news), etc. You guys act like he made the decision to terminate on a whim.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 06:49 AM   #215
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [9.25]
IX  [8.67]
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-63751515.amp

A race horse bought the track on which he runs and wins the most. It's not why, it's why not. Just because you can doesn't mean you should and vice versa.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 07:24 AM   #216
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-63751515.amp

A race horse bought the track on which he runs and wins the most. It's not why, it's why not. Just because you can doesn't mean you should and vice versa.
There could be reasons for that, including, but not limited to, people who have been drawn to the platform now that there may be some fairness/balance with regards to how the media giant deals with people's accounts, people who are genuinely curious about Musk, etc. I have never had a Twitter account, but I'm considering one now (…and if I were to make an account I would surely follow Musk; were people up in arm's that "Tom" was everybody's #1 friend on MySpace?!?). The meltdown is real!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 09:56 AM   #217
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
The “reusable” rocket thing is a bit of a misnomer. They all are basically gutted and rebuilt after every launch. Landing on a drone ship while extremely cool adds more complexity and weight to the boosters than a traditional parachute water landing. They need to carry more fuel/weight for landing so it reduces their ability to put more weight into space.

I do give them credit for advancing the technology and the refurbishment/rebuild takes less time and is less costly. But just general technological advances would’ve gotten us there anyway.
Maybe, but not from the government. The technological advances are coming from private sector. So sure, we would have gotten there without Musk, but it would have been from some other company.

And say what you want about Musk, but his goals always tend to lean towards the renewable/reusable side of things. Other companies dont tend to do that, because there is much more money to be made in one time use products.

Compared to the competitors that put in bids, Musk's rockets end up saving half a billion for the government.

As for the "re-usable" technicality, yes they get refurbed every time, but its estimated to save 30-40% of the cost to refurb vs building brand new rockets every time.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 10:09 AM   #218
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
Maybe, but not from the government. The technological advances are coming from private sector. So sure, we would have gotten there without Musk, but it would have been from some other company.

And say what you want about Musk, but his goals always tend to lean towards the renewable/reusable side of things. Other companies dont tend to do that, because there is much more money to be made in one time use products.

Compared to the competitors that put in bids, Musk's rockets end up saving half a billion for the government.

As for the "re-usable" technicality, yes they get refurbed every time, but its estimated to save 30-40% of the cost to refurb vs building brand new rockets every time.
Yes and no. SpaceX was and is still kept afloat by government contracts so they are essentially another version of NASA. Plus they didn’t have to start from scratch like NASA did and they were able to focus on this as NASA has to obviously focus their budget on a myriad of missions for both civil and military.

Again, it’s been a great partnership between the government and a private company. But there really isn’t anything revolutionary about what they are doing yet. They are still liquid fluid staged/boosted rockets. I covered the rest in my post, yes they have advanced the refit/refurb time and costs. Props to them, this is a good thing.

Again, that’s my rub with Musk and his supporters. They think it’s all him and he promotes this myth when in reality it’s a partnership between him and many foreign, federal, state and even county governments. Without that, there is no SpaceX (or Tesla).
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 10:17 AM   #219
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

LOL the idea its all private innovation without the JPL is hilarious. We owe so much of what we have now to NASA.

I also love the idea that he did all of this thinking while he was trying to back out of the acquisition and fighting a public battle over his inability to do due diligence (which he opted out of) and yet still came in, wholesale fired half the staff, had to bring a bunch back once they figured out what everyone did, had the blue check blow up in his face, and is now shedding advertisers at 10s of millions a MONTH.

Im loving watching him flounder and Im also loving seeing the rich guy hero worshippers continue to do mental gymnastics to try and explain how everything he is doing is some sort of 5d chess we just dont get because they have so much of their personal egos tied up in their worship of this guy.

Also loving what its doing to tesla as well, a company whose PE is just insane and was always trading on hype is now coming back to earth in a time when everyone is also realizing they didnt have unlimited growth.
Appreciate 3
minn1914524.50
KRS_SN14235.00
      11-29-2022, 10:24 AM   #220
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Again, that’s my rub with Musk and his supporters. They think it’s all him and he promotes this myth when in reality it’s a partnership between him and many foreign, federal, state and even county governments. Without that, there is no SpaceX (or Tesla).
Dont forget the talent he buys into. Paypal and Tesla were not his, he bought into both. Paypal was a group in a portfolio Thiel owned and elon was only CEO of x.com and flopped HARD (ousted within a year) and yet he gets credit for it. Great marketing, which is really all he ever was good at.

And now, of course, people are starting to show receipts that his UPenn undergrad was bought, which isnt uncommon as part of their executive development programs (something my dad did).
Appreciate 2
minn1914524.50
KRS_SN14235.00