BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

05-24-2024, 01:58 AM   #1
Mdriv3r
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Garage List
Has anyone looked at the custom setups from bimmerworld?

On their site we can choose coilover springs and helper springs to make a good spring rate like KW HAS (image attached, expect it'd just be a setup to stiffen and lower the car.

It would be a 2 - piece setup (looks like HAS) with a coilover spring + helper spring.

Anyone have suggestions on spring rates and lengths? Also, if enough people have interest, we can do a group buy. I'm finding that assembling a setup will be around $700 -$800-ish. Also KW has their spring rates and lengths in their .pdf on their site.

Take a look and let's figure out some spring rates and setups?

I think that'd be great, as we only have one or two options for lowering. I came from a set of Ohlins on E92 M3 and they were great, people occasionally switched to swift springs for a stiffer setup. Just seeing what we can set up with this system.

So to be clear, I am seeing we as forum members can design a lowering kit... We can retain EDC and hopefully not ruin ride quality, have a good stance, and better grip etc...

I have also uploaded the KW parts approval for TUV and their install manual for V3. Their Spring rates and lengths are listed there.

Link for Bimmerworld Spring options (Length and Spring rate for Ocoilover Spring + Helper Spring):

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensi...s/#/perpage:40
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf ga-KWGFw-2000W-0BL_1205-16.pdf (205.6 KB, 73 views)
File Type: pdf ea-KWESAV3-68580062.pdf (458.7 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by Mdriv3r; 05-24-2024 at 02:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2024, 08:46 PM   #2
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Subscribed. I honestly don't know much about this subject and hoping to learn a little and sincerely hope that we get an option that doesn't require edc delete.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 1
Mdriv3r191.50
      05-25-2024, 08:21 PM   #3
Mdriv3r
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Agreed, and I have only some exp. Anyway, in World Endurance Championship racing LMGT3, etc and IMSA, the teams have homologated settings amongst the manufacturers. So they are given max HP weight etc… suspensions are done this way. Though they usually have 3 way adjustable plus settings. So their shocks and struts are really expensive.

I was thinking we could design a setup for street and light track. Clearly the HAS kit does that. However, tbh when I install coilovers. I usually dial in the ride height and adjust in the first few weeks and dont touch it.

So Im looking to make a helper spring plus coilover, that has a stiff and somewhat smoother spring rate, whilst still giving maybe an inch or inch and a half drop.

EDC will adjust dampening force, so should be good there. The lear struts and shocks OEM must be good, bc there are not really any options other than KW V3.

If you look at HR sport springs, they are one piece and are missing the helper springs, so they don’t have as comfortable ride quality. HAS, does, but DIY is cheaper with Eibach through bimmerworld.

The EDC system wont need to be shut off.

Also, I dont like the cancellation kits, coding edc off is better and cheaper

Ill look into this more and see what I can come up with. If anyone else has suggestions, please post.
      05-25-2024, 08:44 PM   #4
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdriv3r View Post
Agreed, and I have only some exp. Anyway, in World Endurance Championship racing LMGT3, etc and IMSA, the teams have homologated settings amongst the manufacturers. So they are given max HP weight etc… suspensions are done this way. Though they usually have 3 way adjustable plus settings. So their shocks and struts are really expensive.

I was thinking we could design a setup for street and light track. Clearly the HAS kit does that. However, tbh when I install coilovers. I usually dial in the ride height and adjust in the first few weeks and dont touch it.

So Im looking to make a helper spring plus coilover, that has a stiff and somewhat smoother spring rate, whilst still giving maybe an inch or inch and a half drop.

If you look at HR sport springs, they are one piece and are missing the helper springs, so they done have comfortable ride quality. HAS, does, but DIY is cheaper with Eibach through bimmerworld.

The EDC system wont need to be shut off.

Also, I dint support the cancellation kits, coding edc off is better.

Ill look into this more and see what I can come up with. If anyone else has suggestions, please post.

thank you for that. I see what you are saying now. I have never lowered or moded suspension at all but have been considering it for my M6 and pretty much figured I'd only lower it and change the settings and likely never touch it again. So I have just kept punting the project. The only thing I may want to add along with the lowering is air cups on the front to lift when entering and exiting parking lots and driveways.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2024, 09:24 PM   #5
Mdriv3r
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
thank you for that. I see what you are saying now. I have never lowered or moded suspension at all but have been considering it for my M6 and pretty much figured I'd only lower it and change the settings and likely never touch it again. So I have just kept punting the project. The only thing I may want to add along with the lowering is air cups on the front to lift when entering and exiting parking lots and driveways.
Np. So adjusting coilovers is a pain kind of. On my old m3, it was a staggered setup style 220 wheels 19’s. I basically measured (on flat surface) from ground or center cap to wheel well. This was to have even gap on each side.

The problem is that adjusting the ride height is a pain… I even counted the threads in eachside of the coilovers to make sure, I wasnt going to be lopsided.

I had ohlins road and track on the car (e92 m3). But Ill say the change was epic. Much more stable at high speeds, better launches, and the turning felt much tighter, basically omitted body roll. Body roll is my current concern with m6 and its not that bad either.

If you want to be able to drop and raise there are airlift kits. These are sweet, you can really control things with that. They usually require a small tank in the trunk and compressor. Then you can drop to ground when you park or basically pick the height. Only downside, is if a bag leaks, that side will collapse and need repaired. So reliability is a issue to some degree. Id go through ECStuning for that, as they have the lifetime warranty.

Also, with an F06, I think the F10M5 is compatible suspension wise. On F13, the rear shocks are a bit diffrent, so less options for me lol.

I think with a one inch or one and a half, you should be okay driving in most places. I used to do the slow turn to right and left thing lol. Plus if you have the cams and pdc, should be okay.

I think I might cross post with m5post. Can take a look at M8post too. They are in the same situation. Only KW V4 is available. Last I checked they were $7k-$8k.

Ill call this vendor after some research and see if I can get something together.
      05-25-2024, 09:37 PM   #6
Mdriv3r
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
One more thing I should mention. On the m3. I had taken the car to performance euro werks (chicagoland area) to install the ohlins and do my rod bearings. When I got the car back, something with the suspension wasnt right. So I put it on a friends lift and saw they installed my rear right soring upside down!!! So I fixed that, performance euro werks said sorry and they refunded me some of the labor (said they had a new guy doing the right side) Rodbears were done well .

Thats what lead me into all this before. Anyway, ther experience has me ready to do a self install. Through shop rates shouldnt be too bad for a custom lowering spring set.
      05-25-2024, 09:40 PM   #7
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
From what I have seen in how to articles and videos the rears can be a pain in the back side to do. The rear seat and rear shelf/dash under the window has to come out in order to back out the fasteners.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2024, 10:06 PM   #8
Mdriv3r
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
So I have viewed these diy’s previously from youtube. This is a HAS kit install.

I advise using spring compressors. He doesn’t on the front I believe. Also, I believe Bavarian Auto sport made a diy for shock spring compressor use and removal of spring mount, properly... Ill post a bavrian auto sport diy for that purpose. I also swapped shocks and struts on a 330ci using Bavarian autsports guide.

And you’re right, the rear is pretty invovled install. Real OEM has the diagrams. Can consult DIY’s also.

Part 1 HAS kit:

Part 2 HAS kit:

Bavarian autosport shock compressor and spring removal:
      05-25-2024, 10:27 PM   #9
Mdriv3r
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I just noticed that in youtube diy, the HAS kit is a one piece spring, but on bimmerworlds site, f12/13 HAS kit shows a two piece? Looks like the pic off their website is the F90 HAS kit, but that image is listed for F13 also.

Haha I might email them and see what they say. Also get some direct suggestions, As Im trying to see if there is a good two piece setup.
      05-29-2024, 11:57 PM   #10
Mdriv3r
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I check with bimmerworld and they replied this setup will not work. Only F90. So options are a custom one-piece springs, HAS kit, or full coilover suspension.

Reply below:

“If you are running a stock suspension you are unable to move to a linear spring and helper as those are not set up to retain the small ID springs required.”
      05-31-2024, 08:43 AM   #11
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Sadnesses!
Appreciate 1
Mdriv3r191.50
      06-01-2024, 06:40 PM   #12
Mdriv3r
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Agreed. So looks like KW HAS or V3 H&R HAS kit is available now also. Ill check aorund a bit more.