BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

05-20-2024, 03:38 PM   #1
aaronc90
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 640d

blueish smoke, hot engine and a melted what?

Hi,

Recently bought a 640d, everything going well until I spotted some blueish smoke coming out of the tailpipes when I would drive slow in traffic or sometimes when coming to a stop. Once the car got on a 40mph+ road after about 15 mins then smoke would be non existent. It would then stay away for about a week to 10 days and do the same thing again.

This time when it happened I pulled in and opened the bonnet. Some of the same blueish smoke was coming up from the front of the engine and running really hot(drove about 20 mins later for quite a while and the engine didn't give off anywhere near as much heat)

The car has been mapped, decat and had the dpf taken out by previous owner, I've been told it could be a bad map or something like the car not having the dpf regen cycle deleted. Where the smoke is coming from in the engine it does look a bit damp(attached)

Any suggestions?

I've noticed at the left hand side of the engine there is a very melted casing with a wire going into it, does anyone know what it is exactly? (Attached)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 12:48 PM   #2
PhantomXone
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 640i GC & E46 M3

Valve cover gasket may be leaking oil onto the turbo. That's what happened to me, got so bad at times that smoke started to come through the vents into the cabin. Get it checked and be sure to shop around for the best price through indy shops for repair.
Appreciate 0