BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: RANK the order of BEST-looking Z4s
1st gen>2nd gen>3rd gen 19 27.14%
1st gen>3rd gen>2nd gen 14 20.00%
2nd gen>1st gen>3rd gen 5 7.14%
2nd gen>3rd gen>1st gen 10 14.29%
3rd gen>1st gen>2nd gen 10 14.29%
3rd gen>2nd gen>1st gen 12 17.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

04-26-2023, 12:53 PM   #23
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

I dunno guys, to me, the 1st gen, esp the M models, was pure sex, the M coupe really does it for me.

Seeing that quite of few of us own one gen but prefer another, I say we gather in a parking lot and exchange slips lol.

Since Guido and others are getting into some technicals, I think the 2nd gen is a pure front engine config since it sits squarely on the front axle: how about for the other gens? Obviously it had space for and it did fit larger engines but I dunno how that would work out for a street version as I believe the extra space is in front of the existing engine.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 01:49 PM   #24
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Models with a 4 cylinder engine available were completely behind the front struts, almost making them mid engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
I think with a viper motor it's not really the engine but the gearbox in the transmission tunnel that's the problem.
I remember even factory vipers had transmission tunnel heat problems, I could only imagine your leg turning to bacon as you motor around in that.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 05:38 PM   #25
idej_jedi
Rep
Drives: G20 LCI 330e / E85 Z4 3.0si

Currently own a E85 3.0si and previously owned a E86 3.0si. The E86 is by far the best looking Z4 ever made (and everyone said Bangle was a terrible designer) , but that top down driving experience can't be beaten when you're just out for some spirited driving on the weekend. They're so light and you sit so low to the floor it's like driving a go kart. And the N52 straight six engine what an absolute masterpiece that is. I've driven a G29 and it's a bit too refined and numb for me. Never driven an E89 but that's probably becuase it's butt ugly.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 06:35 PM   #26
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by idej_jedi View Post
Currently own a E85 3.0si and previously owned a E86 3.0si. The E86 is by far the best looking Z4 ever made (and everyone said Bangle was a terrible designer) , but that top down driving experience can't be beaten when you're just out for some spirited driving on the weekend. They're so light and you sit so low to the floor it's like driving a go kart. And the N52 straight six engine what an absolute masterpiece that is. I've driven a G29 and it's a bit too refined and numb for me. Never driven an E89 but that's probably becuase it's butt ugly.
Butt ugly? That's a bit extreme, considering it's supposed to be one of the better-looking vehicles out there esp when it came out. You wouldn't happen to be that jelly guy in the S2000 when I was picking up my ride, would you? Or that crazy guy in the Civic behind me at the lights trying to spit forward. Insane.

I know beauty is in the eye but that's like the opposite of saying that manure smells SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good!!!! LOL.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17495.00
      04-27-2023, 09:17 AM   #27
idej_jedi
Rep
Drives: G20 LCI 330e / E85 Z4 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Butt ugly? That's a bit extreme, considering it's supposed to be one of the better-looking vehicles out there esp when it came out. You wouldn't happen to be that jelly guy in the S2000 when I was picking up my ride, would you? Or that crazy guy in the Civic behind me at the lights trying to spit forward. Insane.

I know beauty is in the eye but that's like the opposite of saying that manure smells SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good!!!! LOL.
Butt ugly probably is a bit extreme tbf. The front looking straight on is a nice angle. The rest just doesn't work for me unfortunately. It looks unbalanced in terms the profile and the back end is just really bland. The interior is defo a high point for the E89.

As for the rest of your ramblings, not quite sure what to say...I like the S2000 and don't mind the smell of manure (I'm born and bred in the countryside so when you smell it kinda reminds me of home).
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 12:17 PM   #28
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Actually, the non-M E86 is 5kg lighter than the non-M E85. But the advantage of the Coupe is chassis stiffness. The E85 was well designed with a very stiff roadster chassis. When the hard roof was added, it vastly increased the overall stiffness of the coupe chassis; it over doubled the spec from 14,500 n-m to 32,000 n-m. The result is amazing. I've driven the E85 and compared to the E37 Z3, the E85 is seemingly a century advanced in chassis stiffness. Then move to the E86 and the Z4 Coupe is probably the most stiff chassis one can purchase for non-supercar money, even to this day. THAT is the beauty of it. It is seriously like driving a car milled from a solid block of metal and the main reason I will never give mine up until I age out of driving automobiles.
That's good to know, I guess some mag got it wrong cuz I was kinda surprised when they stated that the coupe weighed more, even if it was just by a little.

EDIT: but are you saying that for the M models the coupe is indeed a bit heavier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by idej_jedi View Post
Butt ugly probably is a bit extreme tbf. The front looking straight on is a nice angle. The rest just doesn't work for me unfortunately. It looks unbalanced in terms the profile and the back end is just really bland. The interior is defo a high point for the E89.

As for the rest of your ramblings, not quite sure what to say...I like the S2000 and don't mind the smell of manure (I'm born and bred in the countryside so when you smell it kinda reminds me of home).
Well, that explains your tastes then. Nuff said.

Oh, re 'ramblings', it's really not because your post kinda reminded me of those 2 guys I encountered when I first got my car, the unprovoked sourness and outright hatred outta nowhere. This guy just walks pass me in the dealership and says that the Z4 "is the UGLIEST car I've ever seen!" O.....k..... nobody asked for his opinion. Meanwhile, the guy drives a S2000 and while it's an alright car looks-wise, I don't think it's better-looking than the 2nd gen, and also it's a rag so nah. Next, a few days later this punk was behind me while we were at a red and he gets the idea that I should've been able to make a right even w pedestrians and traffic in the way, so he gets all crazy angry yelling and honking and even trying to spit at my car from his, what a couple of POS esp when it's totally unprovoked. Luckly, the rest of my interactions w others were by far all positive but these 2 inferiority-complexed dudes just stuck out, jealousy is the ugliest emotion.

Last edited by tranquility; 04-27-2023 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 03:29 PM   #29
GuyOh
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LB M2 / 2020 X5 40i

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
2020 Bmw X5 40i  [0.00]
Z4 M coupe is my favourite z4
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2023, 04:46 PM   #30
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Yes, the non-M Coupe is a few pounds lighter than the non-M Roadster. The M Coupe is heavier by 30 or so pounds than the M Roadster. But to me they all weigh nearly the same. Close enough that it's immaterial. That is my point.
Ok, that's probably what I read. EVO's pretty good. It's probably negligible but it's annoying as one would expect that the coupe is a lot lighter/convertible is a lot heavier.

So, why is there a difference between the reg and M models?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 11:57 PM   #31
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Ok, that's probably what I read. EVO's pretty good. It's probably negligible but it's annoying as one would expect that the coupe is a lot lighter/convertible is a lot heavier.

So, why is there a difference between the reg and M models?
I have no idea. My guess is the glass in the rear hatch. Glass is heavier than steel. The Coupe has a lot of additional steel (and some magnesium) in the roof structure to form the hatch framing plus the hatch, plus the glass rear window.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 04-28-2023 at 02:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 06:50 PM   #32
ricardofors68
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 F10 M5

Love them!
Attached Images

04-29-2023, 08:32 AM   #33
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep
Drives: 24 X3 M40i/14 550i/08 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
LOVED E85s since laying my eyes on them in 2003 while in grad school. The Hire did a great job cementing that that love even more.

Bought a perfect specimen E89 last year (2011 35si, 1-owner, 22K miles) in the right color I wanted, but just didn't get me as excited as I thought. Sold it 3 months later for a nice profit.

Restarted my search early this year for an E85 after getting through a new home purchase. Landed a 2008 3.0si beauty in pristine condition with only 33K miles. Not to mention, 6MT and color I wanted. Love, LOVE this car.

Yes, power difference is noticeable, but for me the looks, rawness, absence of turbo, and the manual handbrake matter more to me. Not to mention, crazy amount of power, I already get that from my 550i.

2008 Z4 3.0si 6MT
2011 Z4 35si (sold)
Appreciate 2
moebiuz105.50
      04-29-2023, 01:32 PM   #34
Rafichicago
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 2009 E63AMG Wagon

I have 06 3.0si with 6 speed manual that my wife uses as her daily. We like the car a lot even though it’s front end is rather “busy” if you know what I mean. Needs constant inputs. It’s one of the first Bmw EPS so far from perfect, however. It feels light. Has short gear ratios relative to 3 series at least. E46 convertible feels horrible in comparison in my opinion. There’s noticeable difference in chassis stiffness mainly because Z4 was designed as roadster therefore it drives/handles much better from 3. As looks go, I understand that it can be polarizing but we like it. Quick relatively light little car with good driver engagement and good manual gearbox. That’s how the small roadsters should be. Looks will always be subjective. Imagine that some love new bmw lineup, so I will just leave it at that.
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2023, 02:34 PM   #35
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

So if we give every 1st place in the poll 3 points, every 2nd place 2 points and every 3rd place 1 point, the following is the result (at current poll standings):

E85: 135 beautypoints
G29: 119 beautypoints
E89: 112 beautypoints
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2023, 05:28 PM   #36
moebiuz
Private
Colombia
Rep
Drives: BMW 130i

E85/86 plus is the only M of the Z4s
Appreciate 0