BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      12-24-2020, 08:56 PM   #1
Msparta
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6M

It all started with a bimmerlink diagnosis based on the dreaded engine light that would continue to get triggered even after clearing the fault various times...

Thanks to help here and verifying the faulty oxygen sensor located on bank 2, upstream which is pre cat...

Once I was able to order the deep socket wrenches and confirming for a second fine I went ahead and ordered the sensor... then i got right into it.

I rigged up a straw vac to clear the sandy particles in the socket before removing the sensor... I then cleaned the socket area carefully to remove any obvious grime and dirt... the sensor itself seemed easy to install, thankfully it was the upstream and not the downstream which would have involved removing more hardware to make space to work that sensor...

My Christmas gift was hopefully erasing this engine light for good lmao! And plus saving a shit ton of money having done it myself! I'm not sure what the dealer would have charged me but basically my our of pocket expense was the sensor which was about $250+ and the deep socket wrench which was like $10... all in all a win. Cheers!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-25-2020, 10:39 PM   #2
Msparta
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Happy to report engine light has remained off! win!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 03:18 PM   #3
Msparta
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Maybe I spoke too soon! Engine light came back and the error is coming back as the same ...

Any ideas after replacing the oxygen censor on bank 2, upstream (pre cat)? Unless I replaced the wrong one?!

US left hand drive - specifically replaced the driver side front most censor - assuming that's the correct one based on the error bimmerlink is reporting...

Any help is appreciated
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 03:15 PM   #4
m6NYC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msparta View Post
Maybe I spoke too soon! Engine light came back and the error is coming back as the same ...

Any ideas after replacing the oxygen censor on bank 2, upstream (pre cat)? Unless I replaced the wrong one?!

US left hand drive - specifically replaced the driver side front most censor - assuming that's the correct one based on the error bimmerlink is reporting...

Any help is appreciated
I think the pre and post o2 sensors are unique with different part numbers. Maybe double check if the correct part was ordered? Seems like you replaced the correct sensor.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 07:34 PM   #5
jcollege
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Loving all of the DIY's that you are adding to the community!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 08:11 PM   #6
Msparta
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6NYC View Post
Quote:

Any help is appreciated
I think the pre and post o2 sensors are unique with different part numbers. Maybe double check if the correct part was ordered? Seems like you replaced the correct sensor.
Thx, yeah I was careful to make sure I replaced the exact sensor I took out... I went ahead and cleared the engine light error a second time and it's been a day or so without any engine light coming back... crossing fingers but my gut tells me I'll see this light pop back on again lmao!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 11:29 AM   #7
JC04
Private
Rep
Drives: MX

How many miles on the car?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 11:39 AM   #8
JayM6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 15 M6 GC Comp

are you running catless downpipes? if so then yes those are the correct upstream sensors and the secondary sensors dont really matter. Id take a look at your MAF and clean those as well. Maybe even need to be replaced
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 06:53 PM   #9
Msparta
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC04 View Post
How many miles on the car?
70,859 miles

I took a nice road trip to key west and back yesterday and no engine light prior to having cleared it. I'm assuming that last engine light trigger was pre sensor replacement - and perhaps I did not notice as such.

So I'm super happy after 200 miles of driving or so all good.

She drives excellent. Probably better then when I got her at about 40k miles or so.

I need to take pics professionally polished and posing to a nice backdrop but here is a snap of the dash mileage readout.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 06:54 PM   #10
Msparta
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM6 View Post
are you running catless downpipes? if so then yes those are the correct upstream sensors and the secondary sensors dont really matter. Id take a look at your MAF and clean those as well. Maybe even need to be replaced
What's the MAF? Location? Will def like to!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 11:05 AM   #11
JC04
Private
Rep
Drives: MX

Quote:
70,859 miles

I took a nice road trip to key west and back yesterday and no engine light prior to having cleared it. I'm assuming that last engine light trigger was pre sensor replacement - and perhaps I did not notice as such.

So I'm super happy after 200 miles of driving or so all good.

She drives excellent. Probably better then when I got her at about 40k miles or so.

I need to take pics professionally polished and posing to a nice backdrop but here is a snap of the dash mileage readout.

My car is at 70K miles too. I'm going to replace mine as well for preventative maintenance. Oxygen sensors last around 60k-90k miles. In case people look for this too. Bosch is the OEM for this part.

RockAuto has the best price for it.

BOSCH 16792 Actual OE Oxygen Sensor Info
Downstream

BOSCH 17187 Actual OE Oxygen Sensor Info
Upstream
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 09:01 PM   #12
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
I dig the vacuum straw setup and appreciate the diy.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 02:42 AM   #13
Msparta
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Updating my progress after this was installed... my continued to get engine light error but with the down stream sensor this time... I ended up ordering a second sensor for the same bank 2 but this sensor was specific for the downstream as the error noted...

After I replaced it the engine light went away for a while along with permanent error I was getting... however recently the engine light came back on with a "mixture too lean"... I figured I needed to check the MAFs and get these cleaned with the proper cleaner which I did and so far so good... the permanent error is gone and so is the engine light now...

Long story short I also as of today did spark plugs and coils myself - was fun!

So far so good!!

I'll post back if anything changes.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 04:28 PM   #14
RenalInsult
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 Cab

Quote:
Updating my progress after this was installed... my continued to get engine light error but with the down stream sensor this time... I ended up ordering a second sensor for the same bank 2 but this sensor was specific for the downstream as the error noted...

After I replaced it the engine light went away for a while along with permanent error I was getting... however recently the engine light came back on with a "mixture too lean"... I figured I needed to check the MAFs and get these cleaned with the proper cleaner which I did and so far so good... the permanent error is gone and so is the engine light now...

So far so good!!

Just curious, how hard was it too install the rear oxygen sensor? Any photo like you had for the front? It seems like the running rich or lean problems can take some time to sort out.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 08:19 PM   #15
Msparta
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenalInsult View Post
Quote:

So far so good!!

Just curious, how hard was it too install the rear oxygen sensor? Any photo like you had for the front? It seems like the running rich or lean problems can take some time to sort out.
Not difficult at all, just have all your tools in hand ahead of time and most importantly get a telescoping magnet wand to keep any bolts from falling into the engine bay… remove the bracket so you have easy access and anything else that is top most that can get in your way.

The oxygen censors have a very fragile plastic sleeve around its cable which can easily get coughs on the top bracket as you install the new censor so just take your time and care for the cable from getting dragged as you ratchet the censor into its socket…
Appreciate 0