BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

05-21-2020, 10:08 AM   #1
q94f10
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: retired: 2015 M6 GC

anyone using 5w50 redline?

I have a 2015 m6 gc and I have being using various brands of 5w40 (liqui moly, Castrol, mobil1), but my car still drinks about 1qt every 1k miles or so. I know troyjeup recommends 5w50 redline, but how many people have been using it consistently and if they had any issues. I want to make the switch to 5w50, but want to see if anyone/how many people have been using this and their reviews.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 11:18 AM   #2
Havy
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Why would you use 5W50? Are you tracking the bimmer? As long as the engine is not burning the oil (blue smoke) just using it everything is ok an you should stick to 5W30 or 5W40.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 09:57 PM   #3
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by q94f10 View Post
I have a 2015 m6 gc and I have being using various brands of 5w40 (liqui moly, Castrol, mobil1), but my car still drinks about 1qt every 1k miles or so. I know troyjeup recommends 5w50 redline, but how many people have been using it consistently and if they had any issues. I want to make the switch to 5w50, but want to see if anyone/how many people have been using this and their reviews.

Thanks in advance.
Turbo engines do use oil but the cheapest fix I would recommend is to swap out your PCV valves with new ones my friend was going though the same thing his shop changed them and the oil problem solved, there is a check valve inside if it goes bad oil can pass ,check your intake tube for excessive oil inside too

Stick with 5w40 LiquiMoly Molygen its recommended for our engines.Change your oil every 3K it sounds excessive but its really not
Attached Images

2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 3
      05-22-2020, 11:53 AM   #4
q94f10
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havy View Post
Why would you use 5W50? Are you tracking the bimmer? As long as the engine is not burning the oil (blue smoke) just using it everything is ok an you should stick to 5W30 or 5W40.
Troy Jeup recommends everyone with the s63tu to use this oil as he says the 5w-40 is too thin due to the high temperature these engines run at. I see a lot of people tagging him using 5w-50, but rarely see anyone in the forums mention they are using it, Which I found skeptical. I do push my car often (not on track) and was thinking of going with thicker oil to combat the oil consumption issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
Turbo engines do use oil but the cheapest fix I would recommend is to swap out your PCV valves with new ones my friend was going though the same thing his shop changed them and the oil problem solved, there is a check valve inside if it goes bad oil can pass ,check your intake tube for excessive oil inside too

Stick with 5w40 LiquiMoly Molygen its recommended for our engines.Change your oil every 3K it sounds excessive but its really not
I did read about the issues with the PCV valves, but I thought the fix for that was installing the BMS oil catch can?
I did change my intakes to the BMS ones last week and did notice oil in the intake tube, but it was very minimal. Do you have a link for the PCV valve replacement? I was unable to find it on fcp euro.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 02:14 PM   #5
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by q94f10 View Post
Troy Jeup recommends everyone with the s63tu to use this oil as he says the 5w-40 is too thin due to the high temperature these engines run at. I see a lot of people tagging him using 5w-50, but rarely see anyone in the forums mention they are using it, Which I found skeptical. I do push my car often (not on track) and was thinking of going with thicker oil to combat the oil consumption issue.

I did read about the issues with the PCV valves, but I thought the fix for that was installing the BMS oil catch can?
I did change my intakes to the BMS ones last week and did notice oil in the intake tube, but it was very minimal. Do you have a link for the PCV valve replacement? I was unable to find it on fcp euro.
The 5w-50 does combat the high oil temp problem and that is a good thing, the downside is it takes longer to warm up.

it is beneficial to overall longevity. my liqui moly molygen 5w-40 thins out to a 30 weight oil after having it sent to blackstone for a test.

The catch cans dont really do much on these cars, i have never seen any of them catch a drop of oil.

here are the links from FCP for the replacement PCVs

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-4-11157843150

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-8-11157843151
      05-23-2020, 07:39 PM   #6
q94f10
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagtagXMASTER View Post
The 5w-50 does combat the high oil temp problem and that is a good thing, the downside is it takes longer to warm up.

it is beneficial to overall longevity. my liqui moly molygen 5w-40 thins out to a 30 weight oil after having it sent to blackstone for a test.

The catch cans dont really do much on these cars, i have never seen any of them catch a drop of oil.

Thanks for the link. Will you be switching to redline 5w50 since the 5w-40 molygen things out as a 30 weight?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 01:46 AM   #7
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I never switched to the redline 5w50 myself,I know the guy Troyup says its good ,but know else recommends it ,no other shops I found recommend it ,the bottle doesnt have the LL-01 that our engines need either,I stayed away ,Im sure it helps with heat but by how much? there is a lot of other moving parts in the engine that might need that slightly thinner oil to lubricate.

I contacted a guy that owns a shop in the UK and his M5 is at 1000hp stage 2 turbo upgrade and meth injection and full strengthened drive trane ,all stock internals I asked him what oil they use over there and they said 5W40.

If someone can prove a night and day oil analysis I might consider it.
For now I will stick with Molygen and change it more frequently 2-3k tops
2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2020, 10:37 AM   #8
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I never switched to the redline 5w50 myself,I know the guy Troyup says its good ,but know else recommends it ,no other shops I found recommend it ,the bottle doesnt have the LL-01 that our engines need either,I stayed away ,Im sure it helps with heat but by how much? there is a lot of other moving parts in the engine that might need that slightly thinner oil to lubricate.

I contacted a guy that owns a shop in the UK and his M5 is at 1000hp stage 2 turbo upgrade and meth injection and full strengthened drive trane ,all stock internals I asked him what oil they use over there and they said 5W40.

If someone can prove a night and day oil analysis I might consider it.
For now I will stick with Molygen and change it more frequently 2-3k tops
I currently also run the LM molygen 5w-40. I have a few oil samples collected so far and once i do a report on redline i will post it. I believe it has to do with the sheer between the rod bearing and the crank, as well as the oil on the cylinder walls, the rest is fine.

as for the 1000 hp M5, are you talking about VT Tommy? It hard to come by a car like that.

As for the ratings most oil companies need to pay for those ratings, thats why LM is not an SN plus oil.

The only negative i see about the molygen is that it micro polishes surfaces. that sounds good but if it does what they say it does, that will smooth surfaces to the point oil will not latch on to lubricate.

Its a good topic and i think there should be more info out there. every little bit helps
      05-24-2020, 08:16 PM   #9
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I currently also run the LM molygen 5w-40. I have a few oil samples collected so far and once i do a report on redline i will post it. I believe it has to do with the sheer between the rod bearing and the crank, as well as the oil on the cylinder walls, the rest is fine.

as for the 1000 hp M5, are you talking about VT Tommy? It hard to come by a car like that.

As for the ratings most oil companies need to pay for those ratings, thats why LM is not an SN plus oil.

The only negative i see about the molygen is that it micro polishes surfaces. that sounds good but if it does what they say it does, that will smooth surfaces to the point oil will not latch on to lubricate.

Its a good topic and i think there should be more info out there. every little bit helps
Lol , yes Turbo Tommy , It’s so hard to get a definitive answer on this topic , one guy says use 5w50 and the other says don’t do it it will blow your Motor ,

I was considering AMS oil too , and Redline
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 07:34 PM   #10
rickyf10
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:

Wanna try it. But is it gonna be a mess if i just pull the valve out?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 10:58 PM   #11
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyf10 View Post
Wanna try it. But is it gonna be a mess if i just pull the valve out?
No Mess,its just a vent tube
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 09:15 AM   #12
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep

Amsoil and Redline are both top tier oil in my opinion. I like Liqui Moly but I feel its more of a treatment oil with the new molygen stuff. I know everyone under the sun from ECS and FCP and Turner are pushing it, but they all sell the product. and sponsor Turner.

Anyways i digress. The vent tube is pretty easy to replace. two bolts hold it down to the valve cover, and it twists 90 degrees to then be able to pull up, it has a keyway so it can only go in one way and then turn it to line it up. it has 2 gaskets on the bottom, one to the valve cover and vent, and another in the valve cover so i guess it will never leak vapor or oil. on the airbox channel the new style is a clip you press together to release, the old is a very delicate 4 finger clip. they are interchangeable so dont worry about that
      05-26-2020, 10:08 PM   #13
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Amsoil and Redline are both top tier oil in my opinion. I like Liqui Moly but I feel its more of a treatment oil with the new molygen stuff. I know everyone under the sun from ECS and FCP and Turner are pushing it, but they all sell the product. and sponsor Turner.
I hear ya about them selling Molygen but they sell Redline and Amsoil also , The reviews have been great , there has been a lot of reviews also ,Audi’s Beemers and Benz doesn’t matter they all liked it , most of them say there engines run smoother and quieter, There was also guys complaining about burning oil and changed to the Liquimoly and it stopped.

There is really no reviews on Amsoil or Redline,I actually am considering on 1 of those ester based oils but still on the fence , I think Amsoil, Motul, and Redline are in the same league , and most people I spoke they all say 5w40 , except for 1 😁, If there is some proof in the puddin I’m all in
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2020, 09:23 AM   #14
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I hear ya about them selling Molygen but they sell Redline and Amsoil also , The reviews have been great , there has been a lot of reviews also ,Audi’s Beemers and Benz doesn’t matter they all liked it , most of them say there engines run smoother and quieter, There was also guys complaining about burning oil and changed to the Liquimoly and it stopped.

There is really no reviews on Amsoil or Redline,I actually am considering on 1 of those ester based oils but still on the fence , I think Amsoil, Motul, and Redline are in the same league , and most people I spoke they all say 5w40 , except for 1 😁, If there is some proof in the puddin I’m all in
I know i have seen the same. I only have some data from the oil i have used. i know that after my blackstone lab results the 5-30 LM stuff turns into 5-20, and the 5-40 goes into a 5-30 state after having been used. granted that is also at the end of its life in the car, but id like to see it last up more as its advertised weight. I have seen good wear on my engine in my reports but thats not the whole story. The oil always comes out looking horrible, and i know it has good detergents in it but wow sometimes.

It will be interesting to get more data points. I also see a lot of differences between people who run the different oils. for the most part redline and amsoil are more of a veteran oil. you see hot rod guys brag about their amsoil, never a german car guy. Liqui Moly has a great marketing campaign to draw everyone to them. cant deny they sell it very well and it does perform well.
      05-27-2020, 09:24 PM   #15
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I know i have seen the same. I only have some data from the oil i have used. i know that after my blackstone lab results the 5-30 LM stuff turns into 5-20, and the 5-40 goes into a 5-30 state after having been used. granted that is also at the end of its life in the car, but id like to see it last up more as its advertised weight. I have seen good wear on my engine in my reports but thats not the whole story. The oil always comes out looking horrible, and i know it has good detergents in it but wow sometimes.

It will be interesting to get more data points. I also see a lot of differences between people who run the different oils. for the most part redline and amsoil are more of a veteran oil. you see hot rod guys brag about their amsoil, never a german car guy. Liqui Moly has a great marketing campaign to draw everyone to them. cant deny they sell it very well and it does perform well.
LOL ,the oil does look like crap coming out,I was using Liquimoly in the blue bottle and switched to Molygen,I changed the regular Liquimoly between 600-800 miles on it and when I removed it I was shocked to see how dark brown almost black it was
Right then and there I told myself this engine kills oil it must be changed at earlier intervals,15000 miles LMAO yeah if you want it to blowup.
I dont think it matters what oil you put in there its gonna beat it up pretty quick,
I read some people that live in Germany say Liquimoly is Germanys best oil its been around a very long time
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 10:41 AM   #16
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
LOL ,the oil does look like crap coming out,I was using Liquimoly in the blue bottle and switched to Molygen,I changed the regular Liquimoly between 600-800 miles on it and when I removed it I was shocked to see how dark brown almost black it was
Right then and there I told myself this engine kills oil it must be changed at earlier intervals,15000 miles LMAO yeah if you want it to blowup.
I dont think it matters what oil you put in there its gonna beat it up pretty quick,
I read some people that live in Germany say Liquimoly is Germanys best oil its been around a very long time
I use to use the Same blue bottle, the leichlauf. switched over to the moly too.

I agree the oil needs to be changed more often. it just kills it. Im hoping the redline 5W-50 comes out brownish, not black. BMW has made a great serviceable car, do your oil at 15k miles, at 70k miles you need a fresh engine!

I do agree its not so much about the oil, but the intervals, but would like to know the differences if any like many others with the redline
      05-28-2020, 08:05 PM   #17
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I use to use the Same blue bottle, the leichlauf. switched over to the moly too.

I agree the oil needs to be changed more often. it just kills it. Im hoping the redline 5W-50 comes out brownish, not black. BMW has made a great serviceable car, do your oil at 15k miles, at 70k miles you need a fresh engine!

I do agree its not so much about the oil, but the intervals, but would like to know the differences if any like many others with the redline
Are you running the redline 5w50 now?Im really interested to see the results ,I might be the only one on the forum
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 01:54 AM   #18
i3aog
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC Individual

I've been running liquimoly 5-30 special tec. not impressed with how often I need to add a qt, going to switch to their 5-40 for 3k miles and see.
I did have oil by on both intakes. have done the pcv. on both sides. taking intakes off tomorrow to inspect leakage as I have a set of catch cans I can either install or return.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 05:14 PM   #19
q94f10
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Are you running the redline 5w50 now?Im really interested to see the results ,I might be the only one on the forum
I haven't used 5w50 yet, but very interested to see your opinion on it versus molten 5w-40. I also read a lot of reviews and even some people on forums mentioned when they switched to 5w40 their cars stopped consuming/burning oil. Unfortunately that wasn't the case with me.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 10:34 PM   #20
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep

not running 5w-50 yet, but next 500 miles i am due for an oil change with the redline 5w-50 stuff.
      11-20-2021, 05:31 AM   #21
M6Roar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M6GC

Quote:
not running 5w-50 yet, but next 500 miles i am due for an oil change with the redline 5w-50 stuff.
Did you go for it? I live in the Middle East and the climate is too hot. I am thinking about it.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 01:10 AM   #22
Mr. M6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 F06  [9.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M6Roar View Post
Did you go for it? I live in the Middle East and the climate is too hot. I am thinking about it.
i am using Amsoil 5w50 every 5k km and this is my fourth oil change, best oil