BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

05-08-2019, 08:55 PM   #1
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Tire / Wheel Recommendations - Ride Improvement

So, I'm trying to decide whether I'll keep my 650xi GC long term. It has a lot going for it - styling, technology, comfort, power, luxury. I originally thought the 8 would be my replacement (when the concept came out), but I was then disappointed by the production car. I'll see what they do with the 8GC, but at this point I don't think it'll ever be as striking as the 6. Truth be told, there's just nothing in the BMW line-up right now that feels like a proper replacement for the 6.

But the 6 hasn't been perfect either - a few very minor things (like a sunroof that doesn't slide open and no power trunk). But the one BIG thing is the ride quality on the terrible run-flat tires. This isn't unique to the 6-series, of course, but I've stuck with the run-flats since I didn't want to ditch perfectly good tires. Even now, I only have 8k miles on them.

However, if I'm going to commit to a long-term relationship with the 6, it NEEDS to ride well on our terrible CT roads. That likely means non-runflat tires and new wheels. In the past, I've been a fan of Michelin PSS (now PS4's I suppose), so that's what I'm naturally leaning towards. But aside from the tires, I also feel like these wheels haven't been the best either - they tend to bend easily (I've had tire coverage, thankfully), and they also feel heavy - also not great for ride quality.

So, I'm interested in suggestions on both. How many of you have successfully improved ride quality while keeping the stock rims? Have they continued to bend on moderate impacts? I'm fine with the fairly conservative looks of the stock rims - not looking for anything flashy - but I'd consider replacing the rims if there were good suggestions on strong rims that people have found hold up well while reducing weight. It's all about the ride quality to me right now.

Thanks for the input, folks - pictures are a plus, too, if you have them!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 04:57 AM   #2
MichaelInChicago
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 650xi GC

The wheels are fine and only appear to bend easily because of the horrible, boulder-like runflats.

Last month, I replaced the Dunlop RFT's with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires and it is imperative you do so as well. It changed the entire driving experience and you can keep the beautiful wheels that came on the car.

I have even hit potholes which would have caused bubbles on the RFT's but went unnoticed by the Michelins..

I also agree with you that the 650 Gran Coupe is the most beautiful car BMW has ever designed and among the most beautiful sedans ever made.

Last edited by MichaelInChicago; 05-09-2019 at 05:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 06:29 AM   #3
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 650ix Coupe, 23 C8 Vette

So I just went from Goodyear All Season Runflats to Continental All Seasons that are not Runflats. And changed my stock 351 style wheels to TSW Bathurst Wheels.

Total weight of wheels & tires went from 63.2 lbs to 45.2 lbs.

Not only does the car look better but the drive is smoother, softer and quieter.

The 351 wheels weighted 32 lbs and the Bathurst wheels weight 21 lbs. I suspect the 351's are a simple cast wheel and the Bathurst's are rotary forged. Not sure how the strength of the two match up but I'd guess they are about the same.

Very happy with the look and the ride.

Last edited by Walt White Coupe; 05-09-2019 at 08:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 08:33 PM   #4
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the recommendations, guys.

A quick look on Tire Rack - the Michelin Sport A/S 3+ looks like a good all season option in the "ultra high performance all-season" category. I've had great luck with Michelin in the past, and the reviews look strong. Interestingly, yet not surprisingly, if you filter on the 6-series, there's nothing but complaints about the OEM run-flats.

Has anyone switched to these Pilot A/S 3+ tires?

Michael / Walt - have either of you experienced wheel bends since switching to your new tires? Are you simply carrying tire repair kits, or have you invested in spares?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 09:04 PM   #5
MichaelInChicago
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 650xi GC

I went with the Pilot 4S tires because the car deserves to have a dedicated summer high performance tire for most of the months of the year where the car's potential can be realized (I put a an 18" winter tire/wheel from my winter set in the trunk as a spare).

As well, I have hit potholes with these new tires and have not gotten any wheel bends of tire bubbles as I did with RFT's.

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT, re-buy runflat tires. They are a travesty to the tire industry.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 10:56 PM   #6
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelInChicago View Post
I went with the Pilot 4S tires because the car deserves to have a dedicated summer high performance tire for most of the months of the year where the car's potential can be realized (I put a an 18" winter tire/wheel from my winter set in the trunk as a spare).

As well, I have hit potholes with these new tires and have not gotten any wheel bends of tire bubbles as I did with RFT's.

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT, re-buy runflat tires. They are a travesty to the tire industry.
Thanks Michael. I just don't drive the 650 enough to justify swapping summer and winter tires - I have just about 8k miles on the car now in over 2 years of ownership. Likewise, when I do drive it, it's largely highway driving. So, right now I'll likely stick with an all-season tire, and while it'll lose some performance aspects, I'm really not going to push the 6 anywhere near its limits or in a way that it should matter.

I completely agree that run-flats are a travesty. I like the concept, but they just don't work in many areas of the US where roads aren't great. They're too uncomfortable, and I'm constantly dodging every minor road imperfection.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 11:37 AM   #7
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 650ix Coupe, 23 C8 Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
Thanks for the recommendations, guys.
Michael / Walt - have either of you experienced wheel bends since switching to your new tires? Are you simply carrying tire repair kits, or have you invested in spares?
So the wheels I just put on the car were bought used and had the Conti's already installed with 8/32's tread so they were to new to change out. Since I just put them on, all I can say is that ride is significantly better than with the Goodyear Runflats I had on the original 19 inch square setup 351 wheels.

Since the vast majority of flat tires are caused by slow leaks from nails, screws, etc. all I carry in the 650 and my C7 is a portable air compressor in the unlikely occasion that I can't get to a gas station to pump up a slow leaking tire. Tire pressure sensors greatly help in avoiding letting the tire go completely flat. That's been my experience.

I'm not as against runflats as most people here but I'd only buy a Michelin runflat since I've had good experience with them on my previous Corvette. But for now that's not an option since Michelin doesn't make a runflat that fits my 650 19 inch wheels. If they did I would not hesitate to buy them when the current tires need replacement.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 09:57 PM   #8
FinalRenegade
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M6 GranCoupe | Last Model Year

I really like how 763M rims look on the M3/M4 CS,

Do you think putting 20 inch setup 763Ms on a 650 GC Xdrive would cause any problems?

In terms of turning radius, etc

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 10:13 AM   #9
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalRenegade View Post
I really like how 763M rims look on the M3/M4 CS,

Do you think putting 20 inch setup 763Ms on a 650 GC Xdrive would cause any problems?

In terms of turning radius, etc

Thanks in advance!
So, what are these wheel's specs? Unless someone has them...we have to go look up the specs of this wheel to make a comment. If you already know what their wheel offset is (you did say that they are 20" wheels)...their wheel offset and widths needs to be considered, too... in regards to fitment.

If you know the wheels specs...then post them...if not, then someone will have to do that to respond.

Also...what is an M3/M4 CS? I would also have to search what model nomenclature that is to even begin looking for that wheel style because I haven't followed the 3 series (and 4 series now) since the e46.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0