BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

01-24-2023, 11:42 AM   #1
Mspired
CarGeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Help please: Is it time to upgrade clutches?

Hi everyone. For context - M6 is stage 2, downpipes and tunes for (6 months).

In the past month, my M6 has given me a warning for clutch temperature. I was driving pretty aggressive on the highway and shifting manually. (Never redlined). I saw a warning that said something to the effect of pulling over to allow the clutch to cool down. I pulled over and let the car cool down for a bit, the warning went away and I haven't seen it since.

And just this past weekend while cruising with some friends and doing a couple pulls, I received a Drivetrain warning. I pulled over for a couple minutes and the warning eventually went away. Continued on my way but drove the car a lot less aggressive.

What comes to mind is am making too much torque and the clutches are being strained? A buddy recommended I do the DCT service as my car is a near the service point based on mileage. Or maybe the 2 incidents aren't related and it's a totally different issues.

I'd love any helpful feedback. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 12:27 PM   #2
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

A lot of guys are running stage 2+ files on stock clutches with no issues so can't say for sure that's your issue. It could be if you're running a really aggressive tune. Drivetrain warning doesn't mean clutch issues either. For reference I got the same message once and it was because my plugs weren't gapped properly. Do you have a scanner? This should give you a little more insight as to whats going on. If you're close to a DCT service via miles I'd do that and add xHP's DCT tune for more clamping pressure. Could fix your issue for a lot less than a clutch swap.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2023, 12:34 PM   #3
Mspired
CarGeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo1989 View Post
A lot of guys are running stage 2+ files on stock clutches with no issues so can't say for sure that's your issue. It could be if you're running a really aggressive tune. Drivetrain warning doesn't mean clutch issues either. For reference I got the same message once and it was because my plugs weren't gapped properly. Do you have a scanner? This should give you a little more insight as to whats going on. If you're close to a DCT service via miles I'd do that and add xHP's DCT tune for more clamping pressure. Could fix your issue for a lot less than a clutch swap.
Thanks. I am running a BM3 ots tune. My understanding is that ots tunes aren't the most aggressive. I'll scan the car and see what comes up.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 06:41 PM   #4
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
I would wager plugs, coils and/or an injector or two. I get the DTM on my BM3 Sage 2 and the codes are pointing to an issue with 2 cylinders. I know my injectors are past their prime and that my plugs are likely ready for a refresh.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0