BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

12-30-2019, 12:02 PM   #1
Jim40320
Rep
Drives: 2013 650i x-drive convertible

Total Engine Failure at 44K miles!!!

I was driving and my engine just seized up. I took it to my BMW dealer and they let me know the engine was seized and that it wasn't repairable.

They said the approximate cost of a new engine was $20K!!! They said they would ask BMW if they would be willing to help out with the repair given the low mileage of the engine, that it had been serviced with BMW, and that it was a certified pre-owned purchased at a dealer. The car is no longer under any warranty.

I haven't heard back from them yet, people are on vacation for the holidays.

I'm hoping for some advice and some other options depending on what they come back with.

Have others experienced this? What was the best offer they could get from BMW? Is a used engine an option and if so what is the approximate cost?

Certainly any other ideas and thoughts are appreciated.

My BMW is a 2013 650i xdrive convertible with about 44K miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 01:25 PM   #2
MBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i GC

That is quite unfortunate. I hope this gets resolved soon

No this is not common, I have MY14 650i grand coupe (same engine) production May 2013 with 91Km on it and touch wood all ok. If your engine is produced in 2012 and all service up to date then I would expect BMW would give you a refurbished engine or at least a cylinder block.

Good luck and let us know what happen
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 02:19 PM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Wow. You have the updated N63TU engine. Total detonation is not common. Did BMW say what caused it? BMW is under no obligation to help you unless there is some extended warranty on what failed, and I am not aware of any such thing. If it was serviced by BMW, and the fact it still has less than the original warranty mileage cutoff weigh in your favor of getting some goodwill help. If the dealer says they said no, I'd still go directly to BMW yourself. But even if they help 50%, you are still out $10k or more. Of course you can install a used engine. Figure about $1,500 for intall of such a complex engine. You can search eBay and see what a used N63TU goes for (has to be a TU - don't get one that came from a 2012 car) at about your miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 08:27 PM   #4
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Sorry to hear this - yes, it's uncommon, but stuff happens. I'd stay calm, be polite but assertive. Any help BMW provides will be good will. It'll certainly help if you're a loyal (repeat) customer.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 08:53 PM   #5
Derekz4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i. BMW Z4,01 Bullitt

I think there is a member on another forum I’m on, I thinks it’s bimmerfest, has a similar problem. Hunt it down, there was some good info on it.
Also, I think he was quoted 32k for a replacement.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/fo.../974581?page=1

Last edited by Derekz4; 12-30-2019 at 08:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 10:20 PM   #6
Jim40320
Rep

BMW came back and offered to cover 65% of the repair. My rep said he thought it would be about 5K out of pocket. It sounded like a great offer for a new engine so we're moving forward. He said they don't know what went wrong with the engine (and don't plan to take it apart and find out). He said BMW covered that much because of the low mileage of the engine. I still can't believe the engine failed, but I'm at least happy BMW is helping out.
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2020, 09:35 AM   #7
zipstic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi Coupe  [10.00]
Glad to hear that BMW stepped up and offered to cover 65% of the repair. Obviously a motor should last much longer than 44k miles, but getting a new one for $5k isn't bad, especially if you're planning to keep the car long term. Now if you were thinking of selling it in the near/mid term future that's a different story.
      01-02-2020, 09:50 AM   #8
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim40320 View Post
BMW came back and offered to cover 65% of the repair. My rep said he thought it would be about 5K out of pocket. It sounded like a great offer for a new engine so we're moving forward. He said they don't know what went wrong with the engine (and don't plan to take it apart and find out). He said BMW covered that much because of the low mileage of the engine. I still can't believe the engine failed, but I'm at least happy BMW is helping out.
Nice, but how is $5k 35% of the cost of a new engine? The service rep spitballing $5k may leave you in big sticker shock.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 07:24 PM   #9
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Regardless of what the actual dollar figure comes out to be, if BMW is covering 65% of the total, that's a real win considering the car is out of warranty. The alternative was 0%, so I'd take 65% all day long.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 04:44 PM   #10
jdsaengine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 650iX vert, 2017 Corvette

Sorry to hear Jim40320. I also have a 2013 650x convertible with 34K mi. I also live in Indy area and I assume you are dealing with D & R dealership. They have always been fair with me on things over the 3yr I have owned the car, even though I purchased the car in Chicago. I was wondering what kind of driving you did over those miles.

Maybe it not best you say, if it was spirited, but just curious how a "gently" used engine might have had catastrophic problems. We drive ours very gently, don't think it's ever been above 4500 rpm or 85 mph. Always serviced at dealership, yet I have never had warm fuzzy feelings about it's engine longevity, consequently, I got an extended warranty after CPO, to hopefully ease some of any future pain.

Let us know how this works out in the future. And if it was me, I would get it fixed and move on with something new. . . . ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 10:55 AM   #11
Jim40320
Rep

I wanted to post an update. I heard from BMW again, they've now decided to cover 100% of the engine repair!!!

I do have the car at D&R in Indy. I also bought the car at another dealer but they have always been nice there. They've done all the maintenance on the car.

I got a little more info. When they drained the engine to start the replacement they only got 4 quarts of oil out of it.

The oil light wasn't on and maintenance wasn't due for another 2500 miles. I'm not sure what was going on that had the engine eat 6 quarts of oil over just a few thousand miles and that the oil light didn't come on.

I drive the car pretty normally most of the time, but I do enjoy feeling all the HP from time to time. I would say I do some "spirited" driving!

I've thought about selling the car, but I really like it so I would probably just get a newer 650. I would like one with apple carplay. Aside from that the newer ones look really similar. I would just shell out more $$$ for pretty much the same car. I think the engine will come with a 1 or 2 year warranty.

I'm curious how others out there feel, would this cause you to sell the car and move on?

How would the new engine effect the value of the car?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 11:28 AM   #12
bimmer12
Private
Rep
Drives: F06 650xi GC

Quote:
I wanted to post an update. I heard from BMW again, they've now decided to cover 100% of the engine repair!!!
Wow, that's amazing. I only hope I can be so lucky if mine goes but I doubt that lol. Did they change their mind on their own to go from 65% to 100% without any further input/action from you, or did you prod them further?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 02:01 PM   #13
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

I would not sell the car if it were me. You get a brand new N63TU. I would not be worried about it. As for the engine affecting resale, I think in the grand scheme of things it should not be anything against the backdrop of how much these cars depreciate anyway. If you were selling the car yourself, it depends on how you play it. If you just say "New engine at 44k miles" that sounds sketchy like maybe you beat the car, but if you say "Due to some unknown fluke, BMW replaced the engine out of warranty at 44k miles at no charge" then you don't sound sketchy and it seems like an upgrade.
Appreciate 1
jjasonSU194.00
      01-06-2020, 03:11 PM   #14
Jim40320
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer12 View Post
Wow, that's amazing. I only hope I can be so lucky if mine goes but I doubt that lol. Did they change their mind on their own to go from 65% to 100% without any further input/action from you, or did you prod them further?
BMW just did it on their own. I never really asked BMW for anything.

When the service rep called me to tell me about it he had already asked BMW to help out. When they told me they'd cover 65% I said I was surprised they were covering so much. I definite didn't push for them to cover more.

When he called to let me know the engine was in he said he had some good news. They had been emailing back and fourth about it and that BMW came back and said they'd cover all of it. If anything the service rep/dealer was pushing for more coverage.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 03:15 PM   #15
board57796
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Gran Coupe

That’s amazing.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 03:56 PM   #16
bimmer12
Private
Rep

Quote:
BMW just did it on their own. I never really asked BMW for anything.

When the service rep called me to tell me about it he had already asked BMW to help out. When they told me they'd cover 65% I said I was surprised they were covering so much. I definite didn't push for them to cover more.

When he called to let me know the engine was in he said he had some good news. They had been emailing back and fourth about it and that BMW came back and said they'd cover all of it. If anything the service rep/dealer was pushing for more coverage.
Wow I would totally move to Indiana for this SA...
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 03:58 PM   #17
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 650ix Coupe, 23 C8 Vette

I suspect that when they realized that the "low oil alarm" was broken that the OP was not responsible for the engine failure and then they accepted responsibility for the repair.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 04:32 PM   #18
bimmer12
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe View Post
I suspect that when they realized that the "low oil alarm" was broken that the OP was not responsible for the engine failure and then they accepted responsibility for the repair.
I thought that as well, but I figured they would've left it alone at 65% with OP no longer pushing the issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 06:15 PM   #19
jackliu0527
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 650iXdrive GC

Quote:

I do have the car at D&R in Indy. I also bought the car at another dealer but they have always been nice there. They've done all the maintenance on the car.

I got a little more info. When they drained the engine to start the replacement they only got 4 quarts of oil out of it.

The oil light wasn't on and maintenance wasn't due for another 2500 miles. I'm not sure what was going on that had the engine eat 6 quarts of oil over just a few thousand miles and that the oil light didn't come on.

I drive the car pretty normally most of the time, but I do enjoy feeling all the HP from time to time. I would say I do some "spirited" driving!

I've thought about selling the car, but I really like it so I would probably just get a newer 650. I would like one with apple carplay. Aside from that the newer ones look really similar. I would just shell out more $$$ for pretty much the same car. I think the engine will come with a 1 or 2 year warranty.

I'm curious how others out there feel, would this cause you to sell the car and move on?

How would the new engine effect the value of the car?
I have a N63TU as well, same thing happened to me, i threw a rod bearing which destroyed the engine, when they drained the oil I was about 2qt short, there were codes about oil level sensor, however it didnt throw anything CEL or warnings, would never know if didnt scan the car
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 10:37 AM   #20
jdsaengine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 650iX vert, 2017 Corvette

That is strange to have that much oil reduction before a normal oil change. I've always had D & R BMW dealer do the oil changes just in case I have a future problem (no doing it myself even though I could).

I always do the oil check every month or so and usually mine needs about 1/2 quart every 2000 mi. I don't bother with going long on the oil changes, just once every year, which usually means about 3000 mi.

I told you I would dump the car myself, but can I understand having a new engine might give some piece of mind to hold on to it. I love the cars looks, power, and who else has a large 4 passenger convertible anymore? If ours got totaled today, I would look for a 2018 lease turn in at 1/2 the sticker price.

Hope the engine replacement goes well. Might see you on Saturday's at the dealer getting the free car wash !!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 09:09 PM   #21
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

That's great news!

I wouldn't worry about selling the car. If anything, it's worth more now with a new engine at 44k miles and better for it. If you could buy a house with a new HVAC over one with a 10 year old system, you'd choose the one with a new unit all else being equal. Why the old one failed is irrelevant - mechanical things sometimes fail. But it's gone, and in its place is a shiny new engine... zero mileage, zero wear, zero age. You're in a better place today for it.
Appreciate 0