View Single Post
      06-03-2021, 03:05 PM   #1
BMWRog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Convertible

Cooling Fan Operation

I bought this 2014 M6 at 18 months old with 9000 miles on the clock as a BMW AUC. Even after a smooth, moderate drive, winter time included, the cooling fan would always run on for several minutes after the ignition was switched off. Everything has been going fine, it’s been maintained according to the book, by a BMW approved main agent, and now has 37000 trouble free miles on the clock. The car is completely bog standard - I do change the engine oil and filter a lot more often that recommended by BMW (usually at about 6000 mile intervals), and I almost always fuel it with Shell V-Power 99 RON (octane).

Now all of sudden, it has stopped doing this. Hot day here in the UK on Tuesday, with outside temp up to 28C. Fan definitely revolving whilst engine running, but stops turning abruptly when ignition switched off. Had several trips out since, and it does exactly the same thing. BMW trained mechanic checked diag codes, etc., but no faults found. Oil temperature reads normal at about 105C.

Am I right to be concerned about this fan not running on after ignition has been switched off? Or do you think there was a fault previously which kept it revolving, and now it’s running as it should be?
Appreciate 0